Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

47 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

So frustrating to lose to Spurs given they've lost two since playing us (and Son hasn't played in any game since). That's one I'll look back at end of the season if we go down by a point.

Can see Chelsea being a similar type of game so they're nearly as bad conceding goals from corners as we are and looks like Tammy will be injured. Need to be on the right end of the margins this time.

For me it'll be the Arsenal game. We played them at their lowest moment, when we had a full strength team. We were 2-1 up and they were down to 10. We decided to sit back and allow them to score 2 late goals against us. I'd say at least 1 point thrown away, but probably 3. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Leicester have been poor, Chelsea haven’t been great either. Newcastle is winnable. Wolves will probably beat us to be fair. Liverpool hopefully have title wrapped up by then? No unbeaten record to defend. United are better with Fernandes but as Everton showed can be got at... I then come crashing down to planet earth and we lose all of them. 

We will draw a couple of them. Problem is we're at the point in the season where even draws aren't going to be enough unless we win the game after that. Time is really starting to run out but we've been in worse positions under Lambert/Sherwood and survived.

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We will draw a couple of them. Problem is we're at the point in the season where even draws aren't going to be enough unless we win the game after that. Time is really starting to run out but we've been in worse positions under Lambert/Sherwood and survived.

Worse is a bit of an overstatement. Worst we've been under them at this stage of the season and not get relegated was in 14/15 when we were 19th with 22 points but so were 18th and 17th which depending on how you look at it is actually slightly better than our current state. We would very shortly after proceed to win a couple of games and puut distance between us and the bottom 3.

Although that extra game in hand makes comparisons quite more complicated, I wouldn't say we've been worse in those seasons than we are right now. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Yeah I was going on the 22 one under Sherwood but then we won twice to get to 28 points by Mid March. Still didn't get to over 30 points until mid April when we beat Spurs. Had 32 points going into May etc.

Same as back then. We need to win four games to be very confident, 3 wins and we'd be relying on a few draws and other teams not winning much in the run in.

Guess the difference to 14/15 and the first Lambert season is we had a much easier home run in than this time and won the games we needed to in each season.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

1. Go 2 up top - Davis and Samatta. Get it long quickly - not pretty/don’t care.

2. If win ball. Build from there. Give it to Grealish/McGinn. 

3. Get balls in box for Samatta and Davis early. 

4. Pray. 

Davis holds the ball up really well which could give Samatta more space and hopefully more chance.

It's a good shout, we need to go for it. 

I'm not counting on us beating Wolves, but to just dismiss our chances at home against them is silly, them having a good win today doesn't make me feel any differently about that, they get some good results against some of the divisions better sides which leads to them being slightly over hyped by  some, but equally are just as likely to get disappointing results against some of the divisions weaker sides, a trend we could do with them arresting for the next three as they play Brighton, West Ham and Bournemouth.

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

1. Go 2 up top - Davis and Samatta. Get it long quickly - not pretty/don’t care.

2. If win ball. Build from there. Give it to Grealish/McGinn. 

3. Get balls in box for Samatta and Davis early. 

4. Pray. 

I'd love to see this tried, just out of curiosity. Clearly what we're doing at the moment doesn't work. Unless we miraculously take the fight from our league cup final into our league matches something definitely has to change.

Also when we played Arsenal earlier in the season they were in good form, had only lost once all season and that against Man City and had just beat Forest 5-0 in the FA Cup, after beating us they climbed in the top four, then they beat Eintracht Frankfurt 3-0 away in the Europa league a few days later and didn't lose in the league for another month when Sheffield United beat them, that's when their season started to fall apart, long after we played them, I agree that it was a disappointing result for us, but back then they were in decent form. Not that all that makes me particulary confident about playing them, but it's another game that we can't really afford to write off, if we're to have any chance of survival we have to go into every game thinking that we can win.

• Like 1

Wouldn't be scared of Wolves at home at all. We've ran better teams close like Spurs and Liverpool and beaten Leicester.

Hoping for at least 4 points from Sheffield United, Wolves and Palace at home. Another 3 points from Arsenal/Chelsea/United. Have to beat at least one of these some day. Absolutely must beat Newcastle away. And then at least 4 points from West Ham, Everton and Leicester. That leaves us with 39 points and a free shot at Liverpool who have hopefully wrapped up the league by then.

Edited by Keyblade

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Wouldn't be scared of Wolves at home at all. We've ran better teams close like Spurs and Liverpool and beaten Leicester.

Hoping for at least 4 points from Sheffield United, Wolves and Palace at home. Another 3 points from Arsenal/Chelsea/United. Have to beat at least one of these some day. Absolutely must beat Newcastle away. And then at least 4 points from West Ham, Everton and Leicester. That leaves us with 39 points and a free shot at Liverpool who have hopefully wrapped up the league by then.

We'll lose if Smith repeats his tactical disaster class like he did when we played them away.

Bombing forward against the best counter attacking side in the league. F***ing brainless.

Edited by villalad21

10 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Done a predictor, had us finishing 15th on 37 points.

Newcastle, Brighton and Norwich to be relegated.

I definitely think the first 2 will be in the mix. Hoping West Ham game is a dead rubber and we're already safe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

I'm not counting on us beating Wolves, but to just dismiss our chances at home against them is silly, them having a good win today doesn't make me feel any differently about that, they get some good results against some of the divisions better sides which leads to them being slightly over hyped by  some, but equally are just as likely to get disappointing results against some of the divisions weaker sides, a trend we could do with them arresting for the next three as they play Brighton, West Ham and Bournemouth.

I'll happily be a dingle for the next three weeks then. C'mon Dingles, there is a big chance to go to CL this season.

As much as it's hard to do that, but we don't have choice other than cheering for whoever if it meant that we'd stay up!

That's what I meant, we could do with them improving against the divisions weaker sides, until they play us that is. To be honest I don't have much faith in them just winning the next three at making it easier for us, at the very least they'll probably draw one or two of them, which is typical of their modus operandi.

As much as we felt gutted with losing LCF, but a lot of things to take from it.

We're fighting, we didn't surrender. We still have tactical changes that could improve us.

Davis, McGinn, Hourihane. Those are the game changers we have.

Our biggest mistake that we didn't put Davis early on instead of Trez. I think having Davis with Samatta, with Jack behind them would give us a new dimension.

It's not done guys, not yet.

We'll be the team that win again at Anfield. It's our lovely second home in the last decade as I remember?

Actually they've only lost 3-4 games since we've last beaten them 2014.

Even when we went down, we gave them a match there.

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We'll lose if Smith repeats his tactical disaster class like he did when we played them away.

Bombing forward against the best counter attacking side in the league. F***ing brainless.

Sorry. Too much to drink. Still no excuse.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 1