Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

4 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Well mate if you can't handle the heat go support a big club where trophies are guaranteed..... Personally I'm looking at all the positives for the big day.

If you told any Villa fan at the beginning of the season we would have an excellent cup run, we'd be ecstatic, let alone make the final.

Now we are there, some (I had my fleeting moment) want to concentrate on doom and gloom, and talk about how crap we are.

Not for me, we are in a cup final. We are going to win, we are going to stay up and next year we will be playing in Europe. Until it's not possible that's what I'm going to believe.

Now you have every right to your opinion, but I personally think you need to go look in the mirror and remind yourself you're a villa fan and get in the spirit. Otherwise Man City are always looking for new fans to help fill the Emptyhad!

I don't understand how being realistic means I'd like to support another team? You are entitled to your opinion as well of course and I will happily watch the match in the HOPE we can win. I have an open mind and am willing to be convinced but I just cannot see in purely footballing terms how we have any chance of hurting them in literally any way.

We try and play a possession based game as well but to call us the poor man's version is like comparing Bill Gates with Del Boy. We don't have some big lump of a striker in the air who might be able to nick a shitty headed goal and we defend for our lives (which is how most upsets occur). Even if we did our defence always has a suicide pass in them which would undo it against a team like City. We can't keep possession of the ball well, we move play too slowly up the pitch to have a realistic chance of scoring on the counter. If we have enough possession to have an attack, 80% of the attacks will be:

Grealish holds ball up somewhere on the left hand side 18 yard box corner. 

Targett overlaps and grealish plays him the ball. 

Targett attempts driven cross or shot. 

The other attempts will be Grealish trying desperately to do something on his own, be it a shot from range etc, which has a small chance of coming off, a Hourihane free kick, again small chance (if he even gets on), Trez spannering crosses into row Z, or us being dispossessed or intercepted in midfield somewhere between nakamba and luiz. 

I completely understand people's opinions of 'get behind the club' 'show some belief' etc. I am behind the club, I do support them and I will be watching. But taking away the emotional aspect, can someone describe how we with our squad will be most likely to hurt Man City? I just hope that if every player has the game of their lives and that as Samatta is a bit of an unknown and city's defence can be a bit flaky he can take advantage and bag a couple. It's a shame Mendy looks to be out as he's their weakest link by far I think. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I don't understand how being realistic means I'd like to support another team? You are entitled to your opinion as well of course and I will happily watch the match in the HOPE we can win. I have an open mind and am willing to be convinced but I just cannot see in purely footballing terms how we have any chance of hurting them in literally any way.

We try and play a possession based game as well but to call us the poor man's version is like comparing Bill Gates with Del Boy. We don't have some big lump of a striker in the air who might be able to nick a shitty headed goal and we defend for our lives (which is how most upsets occur). Even if we did our defence always has a suicide pass in them which would undo it against a team like City. We can't keep possession of the ball well, we move play too slowly up the pitch to have a realistic chance of scoring on the counter. If we have enough possession to have an attack, 80% of the attacks will be:

The other attempts will be Grealish trying desperately to do something on his own, be it a shot from range etc, which has a small chance of coming off, a Hourihane free kick, again small chance (if he even gets on), Trez spannering crosses into row Z, or us being dispossessed or intercepted in midfield somewhere between nakamba and luiz. 

I completely understand people's opinions of 'get behind the club' 'show some belief' etc. I am behind the club, I do support them and I will be watching. But taking away the emotional aspect, can someone describe how we with our squad will be most likely to hurt Man City? I just hope that if every player has the game of their lives and that as Samatta is a bit of an unknown and city's defence can be a bit flaky he can take advantage and bag a couple. It's a shame Mendy looks to be out as he's their weakest link by far I think. 

Mate, sometimes stuff that you didn't expect just happens.... I am absolutely clueless as to how we beat Man City, but I'm looking forward to watching how it's done in a few days.

Sorry I wasn't inferring that you should support another team, I was meaning you just need to remember who are are and where we are at. Imagine if sometime around 13 months ago you'd been told we fighting to stay in the prem and in a league cup final. No one could see how that would be possible at the the time, yet here we are.

Weird stuff happens all the time, I'm believing something weird is going to happen 3am Monday morning for me 😊

• Like 1

I never would have believed we would beat Liverpool in 2015 to make the FA cup final. We did.

I never would have believed we would make it to the Championship playoff when we were in 13th place with less than half the season to go. We did.

I never would have believed we would beat Leicester over a 2 leg semi final. We did.

I never would have believed that we could muster a win against Man City in any competition this year.......

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Imagine if sometime around 13 months ago you'd been told we fighting to stay in the prem and in a league cup final. No one could see how that would be possible at the the time, yet here we are.

If someone said to me 12 months ago that we'd be in the Premier League, outside the relegation zone, and in the league cup final... i just wouldn't believe you. 

The journey we have been in the past 12 months is pretty amazing!

Even if you asked me in August, what i would be happy with at the end of February, i would be over the moon with our current position.  

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Or Bournemouth.

The impossible happens. Gives me some hope ahead of this weekend.

It's a one off game, anything can happen. We get a dodgy pen and Grealish has a moment of magic.

These things happen, but I would say it's a 1 in 10 chance. 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's a one off game, anything can happen. We get a dodgy pen and Grealish has a moment of magic.

These things happen, but I would say it's a 1 in 10 chance. 

Would say it's less than 1 in 10 tbh, prob more like 1 in 100.

• Like 1

On February 27th last year in our most recent fixture we'd just drawn 1-1 against Stoke City, we were thirteenth in the league on 45 points (for reference small heath have one more point than that now), Derby, small heath, Forest, Preston, Hull, and Sheffield Wednesday were all above us in the table, and we were eight points off the play-offs, Bristol City and Middlesbrough in sixth and fifth place both had a game in hand over us, as did Derby in seventh place.

As for Sunday we could get beat quite comfortably, but I think people are downplaying our chances too much, more than likely we'll lose, but the way some are going on you'd think we were a non-league side or something, you only have to look at Man City's results to see that average teams have been quite capable of getting results against them this season, in the league they've lost to Wolves and Man Utd twice, drew with Newcastle, Tottenham and Palace, and have also lost to Norwich. In a one off game we have a chance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Agree 100% But despite the odds and everything possible being against us you just never know. It has happened before. 1-1000000 maybe  but ill take that and enjoy the  day out .

40 minutes ago, ender4 said:

If someone said to me 12 months ago that we'd be in the Premier League, outside the relegation zone, and in the league cup final... i just wouldn't believe you. 

The journey we have been in the past 12 months is pretty amazing!

Even if you asked me in August, what i would be happy with at the end of February, i would be over the moon with our current position.  

Yes but you have to look at the context of how we are playing and more importantly progressing . The big picture on the pitch really really  isn't good  . I would take 3 more points than the cup final Sunday and be £350 better off 

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

No chance. Context is everything. 

Eh? What does this mean?

I don't think back on all the trophies I've won or the teams I support have won and think... "yes, but what about the context?..."

Edited by Mazrim

23 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Silverware > anything else.

Silverware < not sliding into potential oblivion (whose knows if we will ever come back up after relegation)

Edited by nick76

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Silverware < sliding into potential oblivion (whose knows if we will ever come back up after relegation)

Oblivion? Worse case we rebuild with hundreds of millions to spend. If we had a cup to celebrate too, bring it on.

No, I think oblivion was potentially 18 months ago. That ship has thankfully sailed.

I'm sorry, I don't understand any point of view where merely treading water in a division is preferable to actually winning something. Not for me. Not ever.

Edited by Mazrim

6 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Oblivion? Worse case we rebuild with hundreds of millions to spend. If we had a cup to celebrate too, bring it on.

No, I think oblivion was potentially 18 months ago. That ship has thankfully sailed.

I'm sorry, I don't understand any point of view where merely treading water in a division is preferable to actually winning something. Not for me. Not ever.

In fairness to him, I've heard rumours that the EFL are in talks to rename the Championship Oblivion

There is a little bit of oblivion waiting for us in the Championship - they hate us there; we cocked a snoot at them as we left and laughed at their FFP efforts - I think they'll be waiting with a points deduction. They'll then strictly impose the FFP regulations meaning that we'll have to limit spending which in turn will mean we'll have to try to build more slowly than we'd like - get that wrong once and we're the wrong side of parachute payments and stuck with everyone else looking for a bit of luck and a purple patch.

FFP linked to profit and loss is killing mobility in the game - it should be linked to debt but isn't because Man Utd.

• Like 1