Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Championship was more fun for a football fan - more games, more goals, bigger chance of winning, more competitive.

Premier League is better for the football club.

I think I have a bit of romance when it comes to our 3 seasons down there, but I feel that's because of Jack leading our team. If he goes, that bit of magic will go. 

31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There is a little bit of oblivion waiting for us in the Championship - they hate us there; we cocked a snoot at them as we left and laughed at their FFP efforts - I think they'll be waiting with a points deduction. They'll then strictly impose the FFP regulations meaning that we'll have to limit spending which in turn will mean we'll have to try to build more slowly than we'd like - get that wrong once and we're the wrong side of parachute payments and stuck with everyone else looking for a bit of luck and a purple patch.

FFP linked to profit and loss is killing mobility in the game - it should be linked to debt but isn't because Man Utd.

We didn't break any rules. That is categorical. So I don't know what you mean by this. In fact, they would be delighted to have such a big club raising the profile, TV ratings and commercial success of the division. If we went back down we'd do so with more parachute payments and unfortunately, something like £200m in player sales from losing the likes of Mings, Grealish and so on. Most of which, if not all, we could reinvest immediately.

Now, that doesn't get you a lot in the PL but we could do some real damage rebuilding a young squad with that in the Championship.

Not for one second am I suggesting that is a favourable outcome though. We need to say in the PL if possible and keep our better players and push on strongly from there. But going down is not oblivion. Sometimes real positive change is painful and not in any way linear.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We didn't break any rules. That is categorical. So I don't know what you mean by this. In fact, they would be delighted to have such a big club raising the profile, TV ratings and commercial success of the division. If we went back down we'd do so with more parachute payments and unfortunately, something like £200m in player sales from losing the likes of Mings, Grealish and so on. Most of which, if not all, we could reinvest immediately.

Now, that doesn't get you a lot in the PL but we could do some real damage rebuilding a young squad with that in the Championship.

Not for one second am I suggesting that is a favourable outcome though. We need to say in the PL if possible and keep our better players and push on strongly from there. But going down is not oblivion. Sometimes real positive change is painful and not in any way linear.

Purslow talked about the necessity to build a squad recently as well, and highlighted that you really need to be in the Premier League for 3 or 4 seasons to be able to pay the sorts of wages most players at that level would demand. He highlighted the best way to do that is to stay in the division, but that some teams have had to yo-yo between the two leagues for a couple of seasons whilst building a squad. Obviously I'd prefer our rebuilding and project to be via staying in the top flight, but relegation isn't the end of the world. We could reinvest from the inevitable sales, but keep a core of a squad together, rather than having to start from square one like the last relegation, or even the start of this season.

Losing Jack would hurt though.

In theory yes, but it's highly unlikely. I think if we go down and Jack leaves the next time you'll potentially see him playing for us could be when he sees out a contract elsewhere and returns on a free, possibly in the twilight of his career.

3 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Oblivion? Worse case we rebuild with hundreds of millions to spend. If we had a cup to celebrate too, bring it on.

No, I think oblivion was potentially 18 months ago. That ship has thankfully sailed.

I'm sorry, I don't understand any point of view where merely treading water in a division is preferable to actually winning something. Not for me. Not ever.

Oblivion is obviously exaggerating, apologies.  I just meant mid table championship.

Hundreds of millions? I can 100m but relegation we will likely lose our best players for less than if we were in the PL seems to what I believe is the norm.  Outside of Jack, McGinn and Mings who is bringing in big fees?

Treading water? With a season under our belt and there not being the need like last summer to bring in quantity we can bring in some quality and aim for top 10 position if we stay up.  There isn’t a big gap quality wise between mid table and struggling at the moment.  We have ambitious owners as well.  I’d rather that, losing a cup than mid table championship with a cup.

i enjoyed winning but I hated being in the championship.  

44 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The depressing thing is we might well end up losing Grealish even if we stay up.

No 'might' about it, imo. JG will be gone in the Summer irrespective of what division we are in.

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

We didn't break any rules.

Neither did Derby or Sheffield Wednesday, but both have been charged with breaches. If we go down, we'll be in the whichever boat they end up in so it'll be interesting to watch how their cases pan out. if they get a slap on the wrist, then I think we might be okay.

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Neither did Derby or Sheffield Wednesday, but both have been charged with breaches. If we go down, we'll be in the whichever boat they end up in so it'll be interesting to watch how their cases pan out. if they get a slap on the wrist, then I think we might be okay.

I believe Sheffield Wednesday got charged for declaring the sale of their ground to their owner the wrong year. I have no idea about Derby, but let's be honest. Who actually understands FPP ??

Edited by gurru991
Addition

Wednesday and Derby are in trouble over their ground sales for completely different reasons, Derby because there's a suggestion that they overvalued it, and from what I can gather the Sheffield Wednesday case has nothing to do with them overvaluing it, they declared the sale in the wrong set of accounts. This will be reflected in the fact that they will have completely different punishments, Wednesday's is expected to be much harsher. As far as I'm aware we haven't overvalued Villa Park or declared the sale in the wrong set of accounts, if we had have done either of those things we would have heard about it by now.

In other words the EFL aren't punishing teams just because they've sold their ground, it's because of complications relating to the sale of the grounds, small heath sold theirs as well but they're not in any kind of trouble over that (they face a possible points deduction but that's related to transfers). It's also worth pointing out that the rules changed meaning that the EFL can punish teams even after promotion, so if we had have done something wrong we would have already been punished, or rather we would have heard that we were about to be punished along with Derby and Wednesday, it's well documented that both of those clubs had their hearings earlier this month and their punishements are expected to be announced next month.

Edited by useless
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

The depressing thing is we might well end up losing Grealish even if we stay up.

We might?

Mate. He'll be gone regardless.

Jack probably had hopes for a great season, but has probably realized like everyone else this club isn't really going places under the current coaching staff.

Even if we somehow miraculously stayed up it will be another battle for survival next season. 

And here i go being super negative. But it isn't really my intention to be negative all the time, really wish i could be optimistic. But you can only judge what's in front of you and what i see is a bunch of really poor players and coaches.

Edited by villalad21

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Just don't see it. How much is he worth? Who would be willing to pay it? 

I doubt he will force a move. 

The big boys would pay up for Jack.  Anyone watching football knows that he is a true talent with age on his side.

28 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I was going to ask on here about what happened about the ground sale as it was reported only a few weeks ago it had yet to be signed off and now we've apparently asked for a delay in publishing our yearly accounts.

I don't think it's the whole football club's accounts that have been delayed, I think it's the part that is the company that owns the stadium that have the delayed accounts. I might be wrong.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I believe Sheffield Wednesday got charged for declaring the sale of their ground to their owner the wrong year. I have no idea about Derby, but let's be honest. Who actually understands FPP ??

I'm not an expert on the situation re Derby, but from what I can gather they are in trouble for overpricing their stadium to the tune of double it's worth.

We have done nothing of the sort so I don't fear us being persecuted by the EFL, they should be so lucky to have us in their league. Especially if West Brom and Leeds go up....

I don't want to go down but if we do I have absolutely no doubt we will start next season in a much much much better situation then 4 seasons ago, and when we come back we will come back to the PL a much much much stronger squad than the one that will go down.....

Grealish going is inevitable, and it doesn't matter whether we stay up or go down IMHO. As much as I love Jack, he'll go with my blessings and I look forward to what we do with his large fee!

13 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We might?

Mate. He'll be gone regardless.

Jack probably had hopes for a great season, but has probably realized like everyone else this club isn't really going places under the current coaching staff.

Even if we somehow miraculously stayed up it will be another battle for survival next season. 

And here i go being super negative. But it isn't really my intention to be negative all the time, really wish i could be optimistic. But you can only judge what's in front of you and what i see is a bunch of really poor players and coaches.

had this discussion before...its not the coaching staff, its the league, you can point at teams like Sheffield utd and wolves and say why cant we do what they're doing??!! what are they doing? wolves are playing EL, you think if man city come knocking then EL football would convince him to stay? if man utd or man city or Liverpool go for neves in the summer he'll say no thanks wolves are going places? he'll be gone, same as jack will be gone, same as any player from 15 other PL clubs will be gone

if man city are genuinely interested this summer then aston villa would be in the same boat as 17 other PL clubs - powerless to stop it happening

that's not on smith

• Like 1