Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, Bugzy1991 said:

I enjoyed this season quite a bit until the last 3 fixtures. 

Weve had some great moments against top sides where we should have done better in last 10 minutes. If we could have held out more over 10 minutes this season would have been fantastic. So I won't say it's been all miserable.

Agreed, its been a good exciting optimistic season so far, except the last couple of games. Hopefully thats just a minor blip though.  

I might go as far to say its been the best overall season so far in the past 5 years.  At this point last year, i was ready to swear off football for a long long time.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Cup final and 17th position.

See earlier point about expectations. What exactly have you seen from our squad to suggest we should be doing much better?

It's interesting to see people's expectations shoot up now that we're in the PL whereas before 4th place in the Champo and getting beat in the playoff final was plenty good enough and people were hysterical for expecting more.

• Like 3

Our biggest problem is the teams at the bottom play each other before the end of the season, where as our only game now against teams at the bottom is west ham on the last day.

So some teams down with us will pick  points up one way or another. (When they play each other)

We will need to perform above expectation to have any chance of staying up i reckon.

We are almost certainly going down. (Which weirdly I'm not as upset about as I thought i would be)

Edited by MaVilla

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Agreed, its been a good exciting optimistic season so far, except the last couple of games. Hopefully thats just a minor blip though.  

I might go as far to say its been the best overall season so far in the past 5 years.  At this point last year, i was ready to swear off football for a long long time.  

Wow I couldn’t disagree more. My fav seasons were in the championship. This for me is no better than the Lambert days, which were awful. I don’t blame anyone for that, it’s just the way the PL is. It’s an almost pointless exercise for a club like ours. 

Edited by Spoony

8 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Wow I couldn’t disagree more. My fav seasons were in the championship. This for me is no better than the Lambert days, which were awful. I don’t blame anyone for that, it’s just the way the PL is. It’s an almost pointless exercise for a club like ours. 

well it's bound to be much more fun being the club that can blow everyone out of the water and spend money like there is no tomorrow.

I imagine most Championship clubs feel it's a pointless exercise when clubs like us are down there.

Small fish big pond or big fish small pond.

For me the Championship is horrid, and it's also killing the club financially.

32 minutes ago, sne said:

well it's bound to be much more fun being the club that can blow everyone out of the water and spend money like there is no tomorrow.

I imagine most Championship clubs feel it's a pointless exercise when clubs like us are down there.

Small fish big pond or big fish small pond.

For me the Championship is horrid, and it's also killing the club financially.

Big fish small pond for me. Losing all the time is consuming, where's the fun in that?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Big fish small pond for me. Losing all the time is consuming, where's the fun in that?

To me that's the same us we've given up, what's even the point?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

No, not yet. But longer run, if this is what it is, I'd rather stay in the Championship.

That would cause me to lose interest to some degree tbh.

Too much of a hassle to watch over here and lower division football isn't interesting to me since the only purpose is to get out of there. Yet to watch 1 second of Championship football this season now that Villa are in the PL.

It would also cripple the club financially beyond repair.

Just because we cant have instant success as a newly promoted side doesn't mean we should abandon our attempts at once again become a competitive club.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, sne said:

Too much of a hassle to watch over here and lower division football isn't interesting to me since the only purpose is to get out of there. Yet to watch 1 second of Championship football this season now that Villa are in the PL.

Just because we cant have instant success as a newly promoted side doesn't mean we should abandon our attempts at once again become a competitive club.

That is the hope of course. I just hate losing more than I love PL. It's depressing.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2020 at 05:17, Villan_of_oz said:

Once in 50 years 😂 Birmingham say hi too..... 

That game Dann and the other muppet had the game of their lives. We also don't have a 'punchers chance' in that we don't have two massive ST's/CBs who can score off a corner like Wigan did. We've scored one header all year. 

Might I remind that these have just beaten REAL MADRID AWAY. We can't even beat effing Bournemouth. 

Edited by VillaJ100

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

There is no way 16/17 was better than this.

Just to remind people we spent that year spunking nearly 30m on Hogan and McCormack, played decent portion of that year with Bacuna-Westwood-Gardner as some sort of dynamic midfield and we also had long winless runs just like this season. One win from first day to 18th October (1 win in 13) and one win from Boxing day to Feb 25th (ironically similar to this season) We only had a winning run once the play offs were out of reach.

Now the next two seasons were obviously better even if we largely were turgid to watch in 17/18 bar the odd game like Wolves at home.

Still no decent cup runs in those three seasons which at least this one has had and in any case while winning the play offs is an incredibly exciting way to go up I'd rather have a season in the championship where we pretty much sweep aside all teams and go up as champions with 90 + points as Newcastle, Wolves and probably West Brom will all do this season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sne said:

Yeah nothing good comes from relegation, nothing. We need to stay up. if we dont then I am with you, sadly I just cant watch the games any more as AVTV is a failure and iFollow is mediocre at best. Also god knows what kind of squad we would have if we went down. It wont have Grealish or Mings in it thats for sure.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, AVTuco said:

No, not yet. But longer run, if this is what it is, I'd rather stay in the Championship.

For ever?

To me we haven't learnt our lessons from our last season in the premier league but if we could scramble to survive then I'd like to think we'd take some more pragmatic decisions in the summer and at least get in 3-4 experienced international players from decent national teams even if they're only going to play for 1-2 years. That would improve us far more quickly than taking more punts on players from mid table Turkish teams. Probably need a more experienced top level manager aswell but that's another debate.

I assume you weren't around in the 90s when we were one of the best teams in the country. Even a decade ago we were one of the top teams even if there was still a sense of underachievement at the end of the O'Neill tenure. It was still a team that home and away took on and sometimes beat the best teams (remember prem clubs were very strong in europe at that point) and we also competed for domestic trophies.

We simply need to stop messing around signing players who's level is miles away from top half of the premier league. Wolves and Sheffield United sign good players and they're both comfortably in the top half of the league, there really is no great secret to football sometimes.

4 hours ago, AVTuco said:

That is the hope of course. I just hate losing more than I love PL. It's depressing.

We lost loads of games in the championship unless I missed something.Perhaps if Premier league became 46 game season that would convert you again.😉

At this point in 16/17 we'd only won 8 games so only one more than this season.

Even last season we'd only won 10 league games up to 2nd March which is incredible since we went up in the end.

To stay up we need to win 10 games. To get promoted last season we won 20 games in the regular season so factor in the extra 8 games and our winning percentage is still well below 50% in each season.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's interesting to see people's expectations shoot up now that we're in the PL whereas before 4th place in the Champo and getting beat in the playoff final was plenty good enough and people were hysterical for expecting more.

I don’t think much has changed, people were complaining when we were ‘4th in the championship’ and people are complaining now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t think much has changed, people were complaining when we were ‘4th in the championship’ and people are complaining now.

There's a huge gulf between the PL and Championship, but I don't know maybe I'm expecting too much of people to adjust their expectations accordingly. In our circumstances we were never going to comfortably finish midtable. The fact that we've avoided a Norwich situation is a small success in itself. We're in with a fighting chance. As it stands it's in our own hands. We're in a cup final. It's not amazing, but it's very much satisfactory if a little nerve-wracking for now.

• Like 3