Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

its not the coaching staff, its the league,

It's the league? Probably the worst Premier League season in history. Filled with piss poor teams.

The top teams even garbage. Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd having horrendous seasons. Man Utd are 3 pts off 4th and they are having their worst ever PL season point wise. Says everything.

Liverpool, Man City and Leicester are the only sides you could say are genuinely good.

Edited by villalad21

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't disagree man utd and their £500m squad are shite but they're still ahead of wolves, sheff utd,  everton etc have they all got coaching staff problems too?

i'll use everton because the suit my argument...since we went down they've spent £500m on players, 15 of them over £20m and they're 11th on their 4th manager, won nothing, been to no cup finals (not got past the QFs in anything) played in the EL group stage, they don't have a single player in their team that wouldn't leave for man utd, Liverpool, man city, probably spurs or arsenal too

grealish leaving is not a reflection on aston villa or on dean smith, its a reflection on English football and the premier league

I would agree with this. The Premier League and FFP has sucked the ambition out of every club outside of the established “big” clubs. Barring the occasional lightning strike (Leicester) the title is a closed shop. Those bigger clubs with an already established worldwide fan base will simply keep hoovering up revenue and spending on all the best players to retain their position. There’ll be the occasional season or two slip where an established club falls away slightly, but they’ll soon bounce back because of the weight of revenue behind them. The romance of a Jack Walker at Blackburn funding his club to a league title is gone. 

Man city in the cup, Leicester away and then Chelsea at home. Lose all of those and it would be six defeats in a row. That would be make the away game at cabbage a must win. Given our appalling away form I wouldnt be confident of getting anything out of that game. 

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Man city in the cup, Leicester away and then Chelsea at home. Lose all of those and it would be six defeats in a row. That would be make the away game at cabbage a must win. Given our appalling away form I wouldnt be confident of getting anything out of that game. 

I'd probably recommend taking the point of view that we're ****!

Looking at all the relegation threatend clubs' fixtures I'd say we're favorites to go down, but that's not to say we've got no chance at all, still eleven games to go and a lot of points to play for, so still have a chance, and at least in it's in our own hands. But if we're to have any chance we need start getting points from games where we're not expected to and hope our relegation rivals lose a few games where they're expecting that might get points, if West Ham could lose at home tomorrow against Southampton that would be a great help to us, really hope that Southampton still feel that they're in the relegation battle and need to get the win just to make sure. Could do with Liverpool playing a lot better away to Watford than they did at home to West Ham as well.

Edited by useless

46 minutes ago, villa89 said:

The problem there is Newcastle gets cancelled if they win at WBA in the cup.

Perhaps it will be played the midweek before the 21st but if it gets shifted to April we're potentially looking at:

Leicester

Chelsea

Wolves

Liverpool

Man. United

Ouch. I agree we need Newcastle fixture in there to break that run although reality is it's a must win whenever we play it.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

I would agree with this. The Premier League and FFP has sucked the ambition out of every club outside of the established “big” clubs. Barring the occasional lightning strike (Leicester) the title is a closed shop. Those bigger clubs with an already established worldwide fan base will simply keep hoovering up revenue and spending on all the best players to retain their position. There’ll be the occasional season or two slip where an established club falls away slightly, but they’ll soon bounce back because of the weight of revenue behind them. The romance of a Jack Walker at Blackburn funding his club to a league title is gone. 

Thing is, it's not a problem with the Premier League - that's what football is, and has been for many years, definitely before FFP.

Look at Spain - Barca/Real dominance since like, forever.
Look at Germany - Bayern dominance
Look at Italy - Juve

If anything, I would say PL is most entertaining because for all the talk of not being able to challenge the 'top 6', over the last few years we have had many examples of when that's happened.

Wolves, Sheffield, Southampton, Burnley, Everton, Leicester. They are all 'challanging' - but the top teams are simply too good, just like their equivalents on the continent. 

West Ham-Southampton is the key one tomorrow obviously.

However Bournemouth-Chelsea has nasty feelings of another shock. Chelsea coming off the back off a traumatic loss in CL and have many injuries. Bournemouth won at Chelsea two months ago.

Think if they won that they'd have momentum to get two other wins and be very close to safety.

Of course we play Chelsea at home in two weeks so will have similar chance.

Edited by VillaChris

Just now, S-Platt said:

Kante will be back for that though!

I read mimimum of three weeks for his injury.

In any case Chelsea have lost to Newcastle, Southampton, Bournemouth and West Ham with him featurning in last three months so his influence isn't what it was .

Chelsea are symptomatic of why you cant judge that much based on reputation and previous results, now you throw in injuries, suspension, other competitions, the mental side of football which is really fragile but not often talked about

for example I will suggest that tammy in the week looked really poor and out of his depth at that level, does that mean he's down in the dumps or fired up for tomorrow? Abraham was coming back from an injury, does that mean he's still not fully fit tomorrow and doesn't start or does he start and not fully fit or is he fully fit and start? if giroud starts does he see it as his last chance before tammy is taking his place? is all of that irrelevant because vs his former club ake plays out of his skin?

I don't know how people gamble on football :lol: mugs game

• Like 1

I see the club's web site have the Sheffield United game, that has been postponed due to our final shown as 0-0. A point would be better than nothing, but I think we will  probably need all 3. I wonder when we will play this one? I think the later the better, when they have given up any hopes of a top 5 finish and are on the beach. Late April/early May?:thumb: 

• Like 1

The accounts are out apparently and it’s very good news. I couldn’t get logged in to the official site but from the comments I read we have no FFP worries and have released a very strong set of accounts. 

A positive story before Wembley and I would imagine very disappointing for the children that make up FFP and financial melt down stories at the Brum Mail Comic. 

• Like 1