Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

If we get relegated then 100% Jack goes.

If we stay up then I think it all depends on whether the owners and the gaffer can convince Jack that we are aiming for bigger and better things which will be shown with our incoming transfers. For me it really could go either way.

Back on topic. Done the predictor and I think 38 points would be enough to keep our premier league status. Looks like it's 3 from 6 currently (or 2 from 5 if you exclude Norwich) but it is possible one of the teams above Brighton could still get dragged into it.

I've seen a few people mention us needing 4 wins and I think that's about right, where they come from is anyone's guess, but what a fillip it would be to get 3 points against Spurs next time out.

I feel like we've had quite a bit of bad luck this season with terrible injuries, bizarre VAR decisions go against us, playing teams at the wrong times, yet we are where we are and still have it all to play for, with actual strikers on the field and a Wembley final too!

Also looking at the fixtures against the likes of Wolves, Chelsea, United and even Liverpool, depending on how these teams progress in Europe, we are due to play each of them right amongst their European ties, therefore potentially playing against weakened sides - I think that might be just the bit of luck that we need and that's been missing throughout the season!

Fingers crossed, relegation would be heartbreaking UTV 

• Like 2

Southampton are on 31 points... even with a few injuries I think they’ll probably be ok. We just need Norwich and two of either West Ham, Watford, Bournemouth or Brighton to struggle and I think those are the teams that will go down. 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I think 38 pts will be enough too It usually is.

We just need to somehow get there.

I wish we could but I just can’t see us getting another 13 points given the games we’ve got coming up.

We blew it not getting anything from some of the so called easier games recently. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jim said:

I wish we could but I just can’t see us getting another 13 points given the games we’ve got coming up.

We blew it not getting anything from some of the so called easier games recently. 

That’s the spirit!

I wonder if the fans of the 3 teams below us have given up too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Elton said:

That’s the spirit!

I wonder if the fans of the 3 teams below us have given up too.

Just calling it how I see it. We have been shit for most of the season and I don’t see us miraculously turning it around and suddenly getting points from the better teams. 

Love to be proved wrong though. 

spacer.png

This man could be the difference... looked promising in his 2nd game and could fire us to safety. A regular goalscorer would help us massively.

Just need to tighten up at the back & show a bit more strength & physicality in midfield. I think we need 3 rather than 2 in there.

Hopefully the players will be refreshed and raring to go when they get back from their warm weather training trip. Don’t lose hope.

UTV

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jim said:

Just calling it how I see it. We have been shit for most of the season and I don’t see us miraculously turning it around and suddenly getting points from the better teams. 

Love to be proved wrong though. 

I think you're seeing it wrong. 

We are in 17th and out of the relegation zone. We are perfectly on target for the season. 

Literally all we have to do is continue the exact same trajectory we have for the season, and we will all be very happy!

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

We are in 17th and out of the relegation zone. We are perfectly on target for the season. 

Literally all we have to do is continue the exact same trajectory we have for the season, and we will all be very happy!

We barely take any pts against the top half teams and we've got a bunch of them coming up. That's where most of the concern lies.

The myth that we beat the teams around us is a lie. We've gifted Bournemouth 6 pts and we lost to Watford. We drew to Brighton.

We have to start getting some pts where it's not expected.

22 minutes ago, ender4 said:

That's ignoring which teams we've got left to play in relation to which teams those around us have left. 

Our run in looks horrible, and I don't buy the argument that the teams we're playing won't have their focus on the league.  The champions league spots are far from decided,  and even if Liverpool have already won the league by April I don't see them stepping off the gas.

We need to show an improvement against the top half of the table, but with Samatta having started well, McGinn due back from injury next month, there is hope. The rest for Grealish this week is vital for him to carry on performing at the level he has been.

I can see the bottom 3 changing a fair few times before the last day, and even changing on the last day 

Edited by MrBlack
For balance

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We barely take any pts against the top half teams and we've got a bunch of them coming up. That's where most of the concern lies.

The myth that we beat the teams around us is a lie. We've gifted Bournemouth 6 pts and we lost to Watford. We drew to Brighton.

We have to start getting some pts where it's not expected.

I have similar concerns. Other teams have taken points off top-half teams and we're going to have to start doing it ourselves now. It is a tragedy we gave Bomo 6 points. They didn't deserve it either (based on the first game and Heaton's moment of utter madness). We need to play like we played against Leicester in the cup in every game now. 

When the owners said we were a year ahead of schedule in going up, I wondered at the time if that was a good thing. Clearly it should have been, and I feel a little bit crazy for suggesting it might not be. 

But I still do wonder now. On the one hand we've signed or held on to players that we might have not been able to (Mings, Heaton, Grealish?) and got a whole load of money to ease our FFP challenges. On the other, if the plan was to come up this season, you would assume they were ok with that, and it would mean next season we'd have been expecting premier league football (can't say im expecting it at this moment but optimistically hoping for it)

Totally hypothetical but could be something to look back on at the end of the season, potentially being able to say we were undone by our good work at the end of the 18/19 season.

Whatever happens the owners have given me the confidence that there's a long term aim (development of bodymoor, types of players purchased, attempted style of football...) and this season feels a lot different to our last season in the Premier league.