Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

It beggars belief that anyone would not be happy with this transfer window.

A year ago we were facing going into liquidation, and now look at us; in the Premier League and with owners not afraid to splash the cash to make us at least competitive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

The squad that won the play offs with something like 12 game unbeaten run?

We've lost 1 in the last 15 competitive games. Now tell me how many of the players we let go featured minutes wise in that run. Not including loan returns as we had no control over them leaving even though you include the 3 loans we made permanent in the "12 OR MORE PLAYERS IN 1 WINDOW"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm struggling to find another way to say it.

BRINGING IN 12 OR MORE PLAYERS IN 1 WINDOW IS VERY RISKY IN MY OPINION. 🙂

Bringing in lots of first team players at once, more than other clubs tend to do brings with it it's own challenges. I've mentioned it about 4 times. It's not a reflection of player A versus player B. My view is that it would have been better to keep some of last years Play Off winning squad to minimise the size of the rebuild for 6 or 12 months. Then phased some of the players in during the January window. 

The one positive I can think of of doing it your way, other than squad continuity, is that if we only brought in 6 players but spent the same amount of money, we’d have 6 new £20-£25m players, which would probably represent a step-up in quality.

But then again, is it pointless having 6-8 ‘top’ level players, if you’re still going to have to chose from Taylor, Hutton and Bree at leftback and Steer, Kalinic and Nyland in goal? 

I see what you’re saying and what you’re getting at, but I do honestly think what we’ve done gives us the best chance of survival. Had we been a Norwich or Sheffield United who didn’t lose 14 players through loan/ retirement/ old age, then your method might have been the best, but we’re just not in that position.

If it's any consolation, Dean Smith once managed to integrate 18 new signings in one window with seemingly now issues.

Yes it was a risk signing all these players, but it was a risk we had to take. Going into this season with Adomah, Jedinak et al just wasn't going to cut it.

• Like 2

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I’ve read the last 4 pages and come to the conclusion that Genies approach would have us relegated by Xmas.

Well he wants to buy players and loan them out till January and bring them back in at that point because it will increase harmony. I mean bringing players in to spend pre season together and go away together is asking for trouble isnt it. Lets bring some foreign players into the fold when its -5 outside and we have 4 games in 8 days.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

It beggars belief that anyone would not be happy with this transfer window.

A year ago we were facing going into liquidation, and now look at us; in the Premier League and with owners not afraid to splash the cash to make us at least competitive.

To be fair, last summers situation doesn’t really have any baring on whether you should be happy with a future, promoted transfer window. If we went out and bought eighty 17-year-olds and then loaned 60 of them out, ala Chelsea, we couldn’t just be happy with it because we survived liquidation last year.

If someone thinks that we’re doing it wrong, and could be doing it better a different way, they’re only expressing that because they feel that our transfer strategy could see us being in a relegation fight.  

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ve read the last 4 pages and come to the conclusion that Genies approach would have us relegated by Xmas.

By Genie, you mean the approach most managers take in the Summer. Incidentally Big Sam said similar didn't he. Ah he's probably shit and a dinosaur so forget that one 😉

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, useless said:

I saw a cat under a parked car today, some traffic was coming so I thought I better not walk past in case I startle it, and it runs out into the road, so I waited until it was quiet, then walked past, and the cat did run out from under the car, so good job i had that quick thinking. On the way back the cat was back under the car fast asleep on it's back, and just as I walked past opened it's eyes and meowed, as if to say thank you.

You have lost me. Is this an analogy?

Just now, Genie said:

By Genie, you mean the approach most managers take in the Summer. Incidentally Big Sam said similar didn't he. Ah he's probably shit and a dinosaur so forget that one 😉

Have you got the minutes of the players we released that played in the last 15 competitive matches? Total is fine. Don't need itemized

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why is it negative?

I just said my view is that its risky and I'd have personally taken a less risky approach. It's just an opinion. 

As the manager has had just shy of a year to watch those players play and train and he’s still decided to get rid, I think the far, far riskier approach would have been to hold onto them. I also trust in his judgment more so than anyone on an internet message board.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Well he wants to buy players and loan them out till January and bring them back in at that point because it will increase harmony. I mean bringing players in to spend pre season together and go away together is asking for trouble isnt it. Lets bring some foreign players into the fold when its -5 outside and we have 4 games in 8 days.

That was a solution to someone crying about the myth of january being impossible to sign players.

If you're gonna bring in 13 players, then do it in 1 go I agree.

Better still in my view, bring in 5 or 6 quality first team players, then add as required later 👍

Thats all I'm saying. Not sure why people get so defensive about it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Genie said:

That was a solution to someone crying about the myth of january being impossible to sign players.

If you're gonna bring in 13 players, then do it in 1 go I agree.

Better still in my view, bring in 5 or 6 quality first team players, then add as required later 👍

Thats all I'm saying. Not sure why people get so defensive about it.

Look I agree buying so many players is a risk. Completely agree. My and others issue is that we had no other choice. Bruce ball left us with this terrible idea of build a squad to go up, build a squad to stay up and then build a squad to challenge. It was stupid and it has resulted in us with an awful squad to build from. Luckily we kept Grealish and Bruce bought McGinn so we had a foundation at least.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It really isn't in my opinion. 

1) they are signing known top quality.

2) They can add this one player to an already settled squad with working relations. We have to make everything work with basically a new team. 

3) It's a lot easier doing your due diligence on 1 player compared to 13. 

I'm not sure i agree.

I am not sure what "known quality" actually means....known to whom.....He is not known in the prem.....The Prem is known to suck you in and spit you out.....I think its a risk....how many big name ,big money signings have Arsenal made....to acheive what?

They have a settled squad, because they have had stability for a lot longer than us, we are trying to reverse years of Demise.....it has to be different from clubs who are adding just one or two, due to their stability.......we are not there yet.

I think the odds are you are more likely to get a good buy out of 13 than 1.

Maupay has a better recent scoring rate than Pepe, so " known Quality" is just an opinion.