Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

The squad that won the play offs with something like 12 game unbeaten run?

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

We've kept loads of them

Are you under the impression we've sold them all?

We kept the good ones.

We released the bad ones. (Or the not so good ones / over the hill ones).

Sounds like good business to me???

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Look I agree buying so many players is a risk. Completely agree. My and others issue is that we had no other choice. Bruce ball left us with this terrible idea of build a squad to go up, build a squad to stay up and then build a squad to challenge. It was stupid and it has resulted in us with an awful squad to build from. Luckily we kept Grealish and Bruce bought McGinn so we had a foundation at least.

I'm glad we partially agree on the first part. As a club we've taken a fairly risky approach. 

I think where my view differs to the majority here is that I would have kept a few of the released players for at least 6 months to reduce the size of the rebuild, then replaced later. We wont align on that so probably best to leave it at that. 👍

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

By Genie, you mean the approach most managers take in the Summer. Incidentally Big Sam said similar didn't he. Ah he's probably shit and a dinosaur so forget that one 😉

Literally fair play to you for coming in with an alternative opinion. That's what this forum is for.

If you could please add a bit more detail, perhaps name the 5 players you would have signed from those we have and which you'd have kept from those we released, maybe we can break it down further?

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Richards and Gardners replacements probably will be more useful to us than they ever were.

Even if they're not replaced it'd still be an improvement!

45 minutes ago, Genie said:

Classic black/white.

Nobody suggested to not sign anybody...

12+ players in 1 window is pretty much unheard of, and for good reason. It's a huge risk. I'd personally probably have preferred to see is add 4/5/6 key players to the squad and then hold some funds back for January if needed.

Considering how close we were/are to FFP having to play tunes with the ownership of the stadium I imagine we're gonna be proper **** if we go back down.

£120m plus 12/13 players on Premier League wages... I really hope it works.

Sorry but I don't think you are looking at things clearly. 

Forget the amount of players we have brought in just for a moment..... Do you honestly think that the way this club is currently operating and the statements made by Purslow, the owners, Smith,  that we are in the midst of the biggest cock up ever?! I don't... Firstly there are the players we have signed. All have resale value, at the worst for the same cost we brought them in for(after all every championship player is 20m min). Secondly, there is also no chance whatsoever that if we did go back down the players contracts will not also take a hit. Thirdly, like it or not if the we did drop then the sale of certain players will also cover any operating loses we would take. You have to also factor in that none of the players we have signed will have been on massive contracts previously. Possibly Heaton however I would also believe that although he has possibly had an uplift on his previous contract due to his age it wont have broke the bank. Fee's will also be paid over several years to clubs as is the norm so the likelihood is that in this first year we may not even outlay a 3rd of the total fees agreed. 

I can understand people having reservations, as we all may have in some form. Whether unsure of the talent, management, owners or whatever. The bottom line in all this is that, for the first time in nearly a decade we can all have reason to be excited, nervous, more excited and just enjoy being back where our club belongs. As a club and a community we are in a great place, in fact, in a far better place than we would be had we not come up. All the more reason to enjoy the ride this season imo and not worry about what may never happen.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm struggling to find another way to say it.

BRINGING IN 12 OR MORE PLAYERS IN 1 WINDOW IS VERY RISKY IN MY OPINION. 🙂

Bringing in lots of first team players at once, more than other clubs tend to do brings with it it's own challenges. I've mentioned it about 4 times. It's not a reflection of player A versus player B. My view is that it would have been better to keep some of last years Play Off winning squad to minimise the size of the rebuild for 6 or 12 months. Then phased some of the players in during the January window. 

The difference between our promotion and being midtable or worse were:

Grealish, McGinn, Mings, Tuanzebe, Abraham and El Ghazi.

Elmo and Hourihane had a crucial efforts but I won’t say they were irreplaceable. The others were numbers filling. 

We still have all apart from Abraham and Tuanzebe.

2 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

The difference between our promotion and being midtable or worse were:

Grealish, McGinn, Mings, Tuanzebe, Abraham and El Ghazi.

Elmo and Hourihane had a crucial efforts but I won’t say they were irreplaceable. The others were numbers filling. 

We still have all apart from Abraham and Tuanzebe.

Steer and Whelan but Whelan is 87 years old or thereabouts

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

By Genie, you mean the approach most managers take in the Summer. Incidentally Big Sam said similar didn't he. Ah he's probably shit and a dinosaur so forget that one 😉

The same Allardyce that said we should have signed no more than 3 players this window, yes.

• Like 2

It's Bruce, Wyness, and Round's fault with their transfer policy of singing 'real men' with 'Premier league experience', that has left us in a position where we're having to change most of our squad this summer. With the money they had to spend we should have been able to buy a team good enough to come up, and that would've need just three or four new signings, but as it is they made a complete mess of things, and their abysmal efforts could have repurcussions going into next season.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t really see why people are struggling with @Genie‘s opinion. 

I don’t agree with it personally. But he does make a good point that bringing in so many new players is risky. There are countless examples of that not working (and also plenty of examples of it absolutely working)

my personal opinion is that’s less risky than keeping more of the players we released, but I can certainly see where he’s coming from. 

I don't think there's anyone that disagrees that it's a risk. Nobody's saying that all the signings are going to hit the ground running.

But he's saying that it's much more of a risk than keeping the players we released, and we were better off doing that and only adding a handful. 

Look at the table posted earlier. The only player from that list you can't say for certain we haven't improved on is Tammy Abraham and possibly Tuanzebe. The rest are massive upgrades. 

So where's the added risk? If anything, we mitigated as much risk as we could and gave ourselves the best possible chance to succeed.

27 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Mings response to that is brilliant. Think he’s on Genies side.

I’m happy he’s made a fair point, no doubt we’ve gone down a risky route and it’s possible it could backfire hugely. 

On the flip side I think what we’ve done was absolutely necessary to give us a fighting chance to stay out of the dog fight. 

It’s been a ridiculously brilliant summer surpassing all of our expectations. It’s not even over yet. Half expecting us to sign Ousmane Dembele and then I’ll wake up. 

Nnnnnnooooooooooo! 

Edited by villaglint