Adomah - er no

Whelan - maybe but very old

Jedinak - hardly featured apart from his pen

McCormack - errr

Hutton - didn't play in any of our run of games

Elphick - again hardly featured

Richards - retired

RDL - again hardly featured

Of course we don't know how good of a window it is until the season is done. What we can ask for is some sort of strategy, plan and an implementation of that. That is what we have seen. We have signed the right profile of player in the right positions. Anything else is just hope and educated guesswork. Stop being negative for the sake of being negative. I am happy to hear an alternative strategy if you have one?

Why is it negative?

I just said my view is that its risky and I'd have personally taken a less risky approach. It's just an opinion. 

• Like 1

Just now, villabromsgrove said:

Taylor isn't good enough for the bench. If he comes on as sub our fluid attacks will immediately break down on the left.

I agree.

Taylor plays with fear for messing up so he often plays the safe option and rarely comes forward. I don't like cowardly players like that.

I'm paraphrasing here, but Frank has said today that he's aware that he might lose some players that he doesn't want to over the week approaching. Might not specifically mean Benrahma to us, but seems like he's facing up to the fact that he could potentially lose him, Maupay, and Watkins.

Just now, Genie said:

Why is it negative?

I just said my view is that its risky and I'd have personally taken a less risky approach. It's just an opinion. 

Of course it's an opinion but it's a negative take isnt it? Ultra positive is we are gonna win the league. Ultra negative is we will finish on 0 points. A middling opinion is I think we may just about survive. Which is what most people have said. 

You still haven't answered my question?

@Genie Just on your concern that Smith won’t be able to decide on a best 11. Obviously, it’s early days, and we don’t know how the majority of our team (all except for Heaton, basically!) will do in the Prem, but I still think the ‘best 11’ is fairly nailed on, with just a few positions where it’s not certain.

IMO:

Nailed on’ first choice:

Heaton, Targett, Mings, McGinn, Grealish & Wesley

First choice (with close competition) :

Guilbert (Elmo backup), Engels (Konsa backup, younger, less experienced in top leagues)

Positions that are up for grabs, and Smith will have to make decisions on:

LW & RW: El Ghazi, Trezequet or Jota

DM: Luiz or Nakamba

To me, this just represents a challenge for a few places, meaning healthy competition, as opposed to Smith having to re-fill eleven positions every week.

Edited by Rob182
  • Like 3

Just now, TRO said:

In terms of risk or a gamble.....I would say 72 mill for Nicholas Pepe is more of a risk than what we have done.

It really isn't in my opinion. 

1) they are signing known top quality.

2) They can add this one player to an already settled squad with working relations. We have to make everything work with basically a new team. 

3) It's a lot easier doing your due diligence on 1 player compared to 13. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why is it negative?

Personally I think your approach would've been more risky. That's how bad our squad had become

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Taylor isn't good enough for the bench. If he comes on as sub our fluid attacks will immediately break down on the left.

We got rid of so many players who weren't fit for purpose and yet one player (NT) that wasn't culled worries the hell out of me.

That proves to me that Villa were right to sweep the decks and replace the dead wood.

I really really think he's shit. I will obviously support him, but he was one of the first players I wanted replaced and moved on. Hopefully after this campaign. 

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

@Genie Just on your concern that Smith won’t be able to decide on a best 11. Obviously, it’s early days, and we don’t know how the majority of our team (all except for Heaton, basically!) will do the the Prem, but I still the ‘best 11’ is fairly nailed on, with just a few positions where it’s not certain.

IMO:

Nailed on’ first choice:

Heaton, Targett, Mings, McGinn, Grealish & Wesley

First choice (with close competition) :

Guilbert (Elmo backup), Engels (Konsa backup, younger, less experienced in top leagues)

Positions that are up for grabs, and Smith will have to make decisions on:

LW & RW: El Ghazi, Trezequet or Jota

DM: Luiz or Nakamba

To me, this just represents a challenge for a few places, meaning healthy competition, as opposed to Smith having a re-fill eleven positions every week.

totally agree with this.

would put Guilbert in "nailed on", other than that though, agree entirely.

• Like 1

Just now, Mjvilla said:

Surely @Genie , this helps put your mind at rest?? 

I'm struggling to find another way to say it.

BRINGING IN 12 OR MORE PLAYERS IN 1 WINDOW IS VERY RISKY IN MY OPINION. 🙂

Bringing in lots of first team players at once, more than other clubs tend to do brings with it it's own challenges. I've mentioned it about 4 times. It's not a reflection of player A versus player B. My view is that it would have been better to keep some of last years Play Off winning squad to minimise the size of the rebuild for 6 or 12 months. Then phased some of the players in during the January window. 

• Confused 1

This kind of complete overhaul is not new to Smith. 

He did it with Brentford in the first summer too.

I have a feeling even if we had stayed down we would have seen a similar overhaul, just not the same quality in some areas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

This is the less risky approach tbh.

A more risky approach would be adding 5 or 6 new bodies only and then relying on the worst transfer window possible (January) to add to a squad if we were in danger. That’s risky. 

It's not that bad, and we could have also signed a player and loaned them back until January if we wanted.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Personally I think your approach would've been more risky. That's how bad our squad had become

The squad that won the play offs with something like 12 game unbeaten run?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

totally agree with this.

would put Guilbert in "nailed on", other than that though, agree entirely.

Thanks, and same here tbh. Especially after watching Guilbert in pre-season. I just wonder whether it’s a closer head-to-head than we think, based on Elmo doing pretty well at the AFCON and him being one of the few that has Prem experience.

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

Thanks, and same here tbh. Especially after watching Guilbert in pre-season. I just wonder whether it’s a closer head-to-head than we think, based on Elmo doing pretty well at the AFCON and him being one of the few that has Prem experience.

my concern with Elmo is he might get turned easily in the Prem, iirc the Hull fans were super unhappy with Elmo at RB in the Prem before he was sold to us.

I think Elmo was a good attacking RB in the championship, but personally i think he wouldnt get away with it in the Prem.

Remember WBA and Derby fans in the playoffs saying to target our flanks, as defensively both Taylor and Elmo were poor.

But ye, i like elmo, was great for us in the Champ, just dont see it working for him as a starter in the Prem, need a more mobile full back like Guilbert imo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nigel said:

This kind of complete overhaul is not new to Smith. 

He did it with Brentford in the first summer too.

I have a feeling even if we had stayed down we would have seen a similar overhaul, just not the same quality in some areas.

To be fair, Brentford have to do it almost every summer.