Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

If we're signing Callum Wilson, then I think that will be in addition to another winger. We're not going to go into the new season with just Jota, El Ghazi, and Trezeguet as wide options, all it would take is a couple of injuries or suspensions and suddenly we'd be looking at having to play Elmohamady on the wing. Another winger is even more vital when you consider that Jota isn't really a winger in the sense that the other two are either, in pre-season his positional play as been more akin to Grealish, just slightly pushed out towards the right.

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nobody can say what will be enough to survive relegation.

You're right, that's a solid first 11 with 5 signings. Do we really need to bring another 7 players on top? and still more on the way? Feels overkill to me, I fear discontent behind the scenes. I fear Smith will struggle to settle on a bet 11. I fear so many players thrown together wont gel. The things we've all seen before at Villa and other clubs.

Even that makeshift eleven (Steer, Guilbert, Chester, Mings, Taylor, Jota, Hourhane, Grealish, McGinn, El Ghazi, Welsey), has massive, obvious weaknesses.

Steer is not Premier League first choice goalie material, Taylor was a liability in the Championship so would be in the Prem and Hourihane was often left on the bench while a 43-year-old Whelan was often preferred as the main DM option under Smith, during our tougher games. Hourihane will struggle as a DM against most Prem teams.

Thats all before, as others have mentioned, we look at squad depth.

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

You are correct, but there's not really an alternative. You are talking about a league where two proven and solid unspectacular centrebacks are sold for 45 and 90 million. We had to buy lots, but we had to be cost efficient. 

Secondly this is where the whole 'do you trust and believe in the manager' comes into play. 

We didn't have to release 14 players, because then we have to bring in as many, and that brings problems. It's just my view. No I'm not going to list who I'd have have kept so that I can be told by the experts how they are good enough to win the play offs but not good enough to be back up In the premier league for a year.

I know its exciting, I'm excited at the possibilities if it all clicks. I am also worried about the impact of working this way. I am also surprised at how people have make firm conclusions about the business already. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

If we're signing Callum Wilson, then I think that will be in addition to another winger. We're not going to go into the new season with just Jota, El Ghazi, and Trezeguet as wide options, all it would take is a couple of injuries or suspensions and suddenly we'd be looking at having to play Elmohamady on the wing. Another winger is even more vital when you consider that Jota isn't really a winger in the sense that the other two are either, in pre-season his positional play as been more akin to Grealish, just slightly pushed out towards the right.

Where has the Callum Wilson link come from? I missed this one.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm not going to bother, because the opinion on her seems to be that despite getting the 2 play off finals in a row, winning the second one the players are actually garbage. They would lose 5-0 every week in the big boy league. However, the expensively assembled squad of unproven players are going to hit the ground running and there is zero possible doubt that were better off for it.

12 of the 17 players in the squad for the final are still here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

We didn't have to release 14 players, because we have to bring in as many, and that brings problems. It's just my view. No I'm not going to list who I'd have have kept so that I can be told by the experts how they are good enough to win the play offs but not good enough to be back up In the premier league for a year.

I know its exciting, I'm excited at the possibilities if it all clicks. I am also worried about the impact of working this way. I am also surprised at how people have make firm conclusions about the business already. 

Yeah lets keep players who had to drop down to the championship because they weren't good enough for the prem. That will end well.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

We didn't have to release 14 players, because then we have to bring in as many, and that brings problems. It's just my view. No I'm not going to list who I'd have have kept so that I can be told by the experts how they are good enough to win the play offs but not good enough to be back up In the premier league for a year.

Is there any need to react that way? As far as I can tell nobody is haranguing you, they're just asking you to lay out some kind of alternative plan to the one we have enacted. 

Just now, Genie said:

That's a fair point, but off the top of my head the only ones I can remember that could have been PL options are Whelan and Jedinak. And their legs were gone. The rest aren't remotely good enough for PL survival methinks. Maybe Hutton could have been an option. In fact I'd probably personally prefer Hutton on LB than Taylor. 

He means Harry. 

Anyway - just got sent this from 2nd July, yet Franks today says Benrahma is still in rehab. He's also training by himself by the looks of his instagram stories. Something does not add up

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I was referring to Harry Wilson or Benrahma earlier if you were referring to my post?  Not sure why Callum Wilson is being mentioned?

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm not going to bother, because the opinion on her seems to be that despite getting the 2 play off finals in a row, winning the second one the players are actually garbage. They would lose 5-0 every week in the big boy league. However, the expensively assembled squad of unproven players are going to hit the ground running and there is zero possible doubt that were better off for it.

I don’t think there’s anyone (or many) that don’t understand the possibility of all the players not clicking, not being as good as hoped...etc.

I just think that the squad was in desperate need of revamping. I don’t think we’ve made a single signing that hasn’t been justified/deemed necessary.

And those players last season, as much as I like them (if I see Alan, Albert, Glenn, Tommy, Mile etc in a pub, I’ll overlook the fact they could probably buy that pub for me and I’ll offer to buy them a pint), I think people could see that they were enough to get us over the line but they’re not up to moving us onto the next level.

I don’t know how good many of these new players will prove to be, but I have more confidence that a higher proportion will be good enough. A higher proportion compared to the players we said goodbye to.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'll do it for you

Adomah - er no

Whelan - maybe but very old

Jedinak - hardly featured apart from his pen

McCormack - errr

Hutton - didn't play in any of our run of games

Elphick - again hardly featured

Richards - retired

RDL - again hardly featured

Of course we don't know how good of a window it is until the season is done. What we can ask for is some sort of strategy, plan and an implementation of that. That is what we have seen. We have signed the right profile of player in the right positions. Anything else is just hope and educated guesswork. Stop being negative for the sake of being negative. I am happy to hear an alternative strategy if you have one?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Taylor isn't good enough for the bench. If he comes on as sub our fluid attacks will immediately break down on the left.

We got rid of so many players who weren't fit for purpose and yet one player (NT) that wasn't culled worries the hell out of me.

That proves to me that Villa were right to sweep the decks and replace the dead wood.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Someone on twitter said that they've heard from a 'reliable source' that we've bid for him (Callum Wilson).

Bournemouth would derail their season and sell their main goal scorer and rely on Solanke and King? I doubt it