Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

46 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm struggling to find another way to say it.

BRINGING IN 12 OR MORE PLAYERS IN 1 WINDOW IS VERY RISKY IN MY OPINION. 🙂

Bringing in lots of first team players at once, more than other clubs tend to do brings with it it's own challenges. I've mentioned it about 4 times. It's not a reflection of player A versus player B. My view is that it would have been better to keep some of last years Play Off winning squad to minimise the size of the rebuild for 6 or 12 months. Then phased some of the players in during the January window. 

Which part of WE HAVE HAD TO BRING IN 12 PLAYERS do you not understand? 

• Like 3

The players we've let go weren't even good enough for a team trying to get out of the Championship so there's no way they would have cut it at Premier League level. Hence, the cull had to happen. 

Anyone doubting the amount of signings we have made should look at the side we fielded in the second half against Minnesota. The majority of them would not cut it in the Premier League as back-up so the management team have done the right thing in bringing the extra quality needed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There was absolutely no feasible way forward this summer for us that couldn't have been convincingly argued to be a risk, and of all the possibilities I can't really think of one that would have been less 'risky' going than going into the the season with what we have now. Don't understand why it's even a conversation.

I think we had to bring in 12 players. Our squad was just way to weak.  Watford signed 19 the year they got promoted and had a good season. So it’s not unheard of. 

My cocern is the quality of a lot of the players we have signed. They may turn out to be superb in this league or they may just flop.  There’s just so many unknowns and I see parallel to the year we went down. I sense similar excitement.

But that’s the risk we’ve taken and I’m glad we have taken that risk. I also trust the club and owners and based on season ticket sale it looks like the fans do to.

This lot have not played a first class game for Villa as yet:

-------------------------Heaton-------------------------

Guilbert------Engels----Konsa------Targett

------------------------Nakamba----------------------

----------------------------Luiz---------------------------

----------------------------Jota---------------------------

----Wesley------?????????-----Trazeguet---

See, we definitely need another striker to complete the whole new team we've assembled!

Out of interest, if we had to field the above team as our main side for the whole of the Premier League season, do you think they'd stay up? Obviously, a lot depends on who the striker would be. Maupay? Belotti? Wesley with Benrahma out wide? 

if We wanted to we could still field a decent enough looking team made up of players that were at the club last season...Steer, Elmohamady, Mings, Chester, Taylor, Hourihane, Grealish, McGInn, El Ghazi, Kodjia and Davis. If things are looking shakey to begin with, we can afford to pull a few of the new signings back and introduce them at a slower pace. As it is I think we'll be fine as a lot of our players already know each other, and have played at a pretty high level, but the players are there from last season if we need them.

14 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

Which part of WE HAVE HAD TO BRING IN 12 PLAYERS do you not understand? 

I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive. We had to do it but it’s still a risk. 

Only time will tell how much of a risk it was/is. 

I’m excited about the new players but who knows how it will play out. 

57 minutes ago, Genie said:

That was a solution to someone crying about the myth of january being impossible to sign players.

If you're gonna bring in 13 players, then do it in 1 go I agree.

Better still in my view, bring in 5 or 6 quality first team players, then add as required later 👍

Thats all I'm saying. Not sure why people get so defensive about it.

But that's what we have done....

OK, I am making an assumption as to what our team will look like against Spurs, but I would imagine that Mings, Hause, Grealish, McGinn, Elmo and El Ghazi will likely be in the team - Hause and Elmo possibly on the bench. That's 5/6 players from the play off final still in or around the first team. Possibly Hourihane and Steer as well making it 7/8. Meaning the first team only does have 5/6 quality players to gel...... We can then bring in the additional squad players as well. Who is likely to come in from the new signings, Targett, Engels/Konsa, Heaton, Guilbert, Moraes, maybe Luiz (WP permitting) - that is 5 or 6 quality first team players

So based on that, I think we are all good.... 🙂 

In any case, we needed a complete overhaul. I would not want ANY of the players we have released playing for us in the prem. ANY of them. As for the two loanees we could not get back (Tammy and Axle) - would have loved to sign them permanently but it was not to be. This is the risk with loans. 

In an ideal world we would have a settled, stable team to build on, but we just did not have the squad. I think our business has been exceptional this window, and what's great is we have done it all early. I am very very optimistic for the season ahead. 

• Thanks 1

I totally get @Genie point. 

But I really don't think we had an option. The only player I would have maybe kept on would have been Whelan.

We could not keep AT and TA - most of the others weren't even in the team towards the end of the season. What loans we could make permanent we did - we haven't really sold anyone who cut it last season.

My hope is that if DS can whip a team of players he didn't choose into a promotion winning team - then hopefully a team of his own selections will be good enough for a least 4th bottom (personally I think we will do much better than that)

Edited by hippo
  • Like 1

The best and most prudent thing to do would be to keep a load of terrible players, extend their contracts and get relegated. That way we could be in the Championship with a load of players we cant get rid of facing another uncertain dogfight to get out it.

Genius. Why didnt we do it? All this trying to put a worthy squad together will end in tears.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

The best and most prudent thing to do would be to keep a load of terrible players, extend their contracts and get relegated. That way we could be in the Championship with a load of players we cant get rid of facing another uncertain dogfight to get out it.

Genius. Why didnt we do it? All this trying to put a worthy squad together will end in tears.

Honestly sometimes I think some Villa fans enjoyed the painful mediocrity and the likes of Bruce managing

1 hour ago, Genie said:

That was a solution to someone crying about the myth of january being impossible to sign players.

If you're gonna bring in 13 players, then do it in 1 go I agree.

Better still in my view, bring in 5 or 6 quality first team players, then add as required later 👍

Thats all I'm saying. Not sure why people get so defensive about it.

Because it's a really stupid approach to a new season. I can't see where you're coming from at all. Crazy thinking 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Why is it negative?

I just said my view is that its risky and I'd have personally taken a less risky approach. It's just an opinion. 

@Genie every signing is a gamble, it’s risky, and yes, we have just made 12 of them. You have a valid view, but I am genuinely interested realistically who would you have kept and using a kitty of £130m what 5-6 [realistic] purchases could we have made as an alternative? Leading to what starting 11 and bench would that deliver for a season campaign?