Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

I haven't been as excited about Brentford players as most on this forum. I didn't think Konsa was starter material and people had an issue with that to put it mildly. I think the preseason matches has proved getting Engels in was essential, Konsa is potential not a starter and potential is smart for squad depth. Anyway my point is that I am not sure a quality championship player like Maupay and Benrhama would be that bad at this point. We need a few bodies for rotation and whoever we buy have to accept second fiddle to Wesley. Either way it's interesting. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, jdguitar said:

I can't believe people keep saying we're doing a Fulham; we've hardly spent anything compared to the other two promoted sides!

EA36750XoAE-srR.jpg

watch them both finish above us :)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I'm really quite concerned at how many players we brought in. I hope it works but I fear we'll be going into October and November hearing about how they need time to get.

Let's face it we've taken some massive gambles here. 

Edited by Genie
  • Sad 1

Just now, Genie said:

I'm really quite concerned at how many players we brought in. I hope it works but I fear we'll be going into October and November hearing about how they need time to get.

we didnt really have a choice tbh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

What was the alternative? Resign adomah, Whelan and jedinak? That's at best a gamble at worst stupid. I'd rather what we're doing.

Edited by praisedmambo

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

2 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

What was the alternative? Resign adomah, Whelan and jedinak? That's at best a gamble at worst stupid. I'd rather what we're doing.

Look at it this way, even we do go back down, then we will have one hell of a squad to get instantly promoted.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Maybe so but I don't think we're going to base business decisions off of sentimentality any longer.

I also don't think we're going to be a retirement home for the walking wounded any longer.

So whilst morally - you're right to say what you've said, I don't think we'll be entertaining such a notion.

I think it is the smartest business move to keep Chester. Would another player push through the pain to try and help us win if they know we won't take care of them after that. I don't think so. I would happily pay Chester out to the end of this contract and then give him his current contract halfed until he is 35 and sign him as a coach. 

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

I'm really struggling with this viewpoint.

In simple terms, we absolutely had to do this. I had people ask me 'how will villa do next season' immediately after the playoff final and my response to them all was that we need to spend big and bring lots of players in. Because we had nothing. 

Without this level of investment and number of players, we would be absolute relegation fodder. 

The clear direction and idea behind all the signings (which has been mentioned by Smith in most player signing interviews) is surely enough to trust that we have enough of a connection in these players to survive. 

We've bought 12 in, 3 were already on loan and 1 has already played under the manager. 3 players have played at the same club before. Again, more indication of a connection. 

We've taken some massive gambles, but an even bigger gamble would've been keeping last season's squad together and hoping it would've had the quality to survive, because it wouldn't have.

Classic black/white.

Nobody suggested to not sign anybody...

12+ players in 1 window is pretty much unheard of, and for good reason. It's a huge risk. I'd personally probably have preferred to see is add 4/5/6 key players to the squad and then hold some funds back for January if needed.

Considering how close we were/are to FFP having to play tunes with the ownership of the stadium I imagine we're gonna be proper **** if we go back down.

£120m plus 12/13 players on Premier League wages... I really hope it works.

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm fed up of hearing about any reference to Fulham.

They said on Sky sports.....No promoted club having spent more than 50mill have ever gone back down except Fulham.

So Fulham is the exception as opposed to the rule.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Look at it this way, even we do go back down, then we will have one hell of a squad to get instantly promoted.....

Take it out of your mind......we are not going back down.

you heard it here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

If they get the club relegated then they wont be as good as we think/hope they are. 

Just now, Genie said:

If they get the club relegated then they wont be as good as we think/hope they are. 

maybe, but almost certainly cant be as bad as the last lot that got us relegated......