Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

The squad we had after players left and loans finished.

Steer, Kalinic, Nyland, Guilbert, Elmo, Chester, Taylor, Green, Grealish, McGinn, Lansbury, Thor, Hogan, Kodjia, Davis.  Which 4 or 5 players would have filled the gap of 10 players?

I didn't realise there was a minimum of 25 players allowed?

Wolves have around 18 registered currently. Haven't checked other clubs.

Villas owners decided to have an overhaul, releasing and signing around a dozen. As I said, it's a bold move, and a risky one.

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Id personally probably have preferred to see is add 4/5/6 key players to the squad and then hold some funds back for January if needed.

We'd have had a squad of about 20 and would be rolling out the likes of Neil Taylor, Elmo and Andre Green every week. 4-6 signings total simply wasn't a realistic aim. 

We needed at least 3 central defenders. We needed a striker. There's 4 and still Conor Hourihane is your only recognised 'DM', Elmo is on the wing and Henri Lansbury is your go to from the bench. 

I'd love to see your working out to be honest.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

Just out of interest what would you suggest we should have done?

I did mention it. I'd have not released so many, and signed around 5 or 6 players who can go straight into the first team. Held back some funds to strengthen again in January.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Genie said:

I didn't realise there was a minimum of 25 players allowed?

Wolves have around 18 registered currently. Haven't checked other clubs.

Villas owners decided to have an overhaul, releasing and signing around a dozen. As I said, it's a bold move, and a risky one.

Ok give me 4 or 5 names and make a side of 11 that would survive relegation? Mings, Hause ,El Ghazi are 3. 2 more - lets say Wesley and Jota.

Steer, Guilbert, Chester, Mings, Taylor, Jota, Hourhane, Grealish, McGinn, El Ghazi, Welsey.  Fine not a bad 11. But what if someone gets injured? Likes of Green, Lansbury, Davis, Hogan etc have to play a chunk of games. We know where that ends up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I did mention it. I'd have not released so many, and signed around 5 or 6 players who can go straight into the first team. Held back some funds to strengthen again in January.

Yeah lets buy in the worse month to buy a player so we can add an extra £5m to every players price. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I don’t understand your logic, why hold back until January to signing more players when they are available now and will get five more months to intergrate into the playing system and squad? 

And who would have you re-signed from the players released, out of interest? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I haven't been as excited about Brentford players as most on this forum. I didn't think Konsa was starter material and people had an issue with that to put it mildly. I think the preseason matches has proved getting Engels in was essential, Konsa is potential not a starter and potential is smart for squad depth. Anyway my point is that I am not sure a quality championship player like Maupay and Benrhama would be that bad at this point. We need a few bodies for rotation and whoever we buy have to accept second fiddle to Wesley. Either way it's interesting. 

I'm with you on Konsa and Maupay, but not Benrahma. I understand the thinking with Konsa being a ball playing CB and being in the England U21 squad. I'm just afraid he's not good enough defensively and in the air for where I want us to be in the Premier League. Hope I'm proven wrong. Maupay I'm not sure if he can lead the line by himself against top Premier League defenders and seems too expensive at £20M. Benrahma on the other hand I think really has something special, I think he has the potential to be Eden Hazard class, his technique, skills on the ball and eye for a pass is amazing. I would take the chance paying £20M for him. Could be worth many times more after a season in the Premier League imo.   

29 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm really quite concerned at how many players we brought in. I hope it works but I fear we'll be going into October and November hearing about how they need time to get.

Let's face it we've taken some massive gambles here. 

We let 14 players go. There was no alternative.

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Ok give me 4 or 5 names and make a side of 11 that would survive relegation? Mings, Hause ,El Ghazi are 3. 2 more - lets say Wesley and Jota.

Steer, Guilbert, Chester, Mings, Taylor, Jota, Hourhane, Grealish, McGinn, El Ghazi, Welsey.  Fine not a bad 11. But what if someone gets injured? Likes of Green, Lansbury, Davis, Hogan etc have to play a chunk of games. We know where that ends up.

Nobody can say what will be enough to survive relegation.

You're right, that's a solid first 11 with 5 signings. Do we really need to bring another 7 players on top? and still more on the way? Feels overkill to me, I fear discontent behind the scenes. I fear Smith will struggle to settle on a bet 11. I fear so many players thrown together wont gel. The things we've all seen before at Villa and other clubs.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

You're right, that's a solid first 11 with 5 signings. Do we really need to bring another 7 players on top? and still more on the way? Feels overkill to me, I fear discontent behind the scenes. I fear Smith will struggle to settle on a bet 11. I fear so many players thrown together wont gel. The things we've all seen before at Villa and other clubs.

We lost 14 players

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

There is always a worry of rebuilding the squad the way we have. But let’s not forget Smith is done this type of thing before, he used to having rebuild. 

From the outside it looks like we have signed very good characters, everyone looks like they will fight for the cause, fight for their position and fight for Aston Villa. 

It’s going to be a rollercoaster of season, but I envisage more highs than lows. Let’s enjoy the ride 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

TBH, whilst the bottom line suggests a big number, individually its difficult to argue with the [potential] quality we have secured and basically, great value. 

I think we over paid for Mings, and that signing could bite us in the arse, however he represents continuity and momentum of spirit that carried us from February onwards, this also has a value.

I think Wesley is a risk, but honestly, what forwards can you buy for £20m?

When you look at what has been paid by others, and our need for number because the club was essentially wrung out by ageing pros signed to get us up, or valueless loans, or just plain bad signings. We have to reinvest.

Honestly, if this promotion and window has only allowed us to fill the ranks with sensible potential, and we go down then I am good with it, because they should on the whole stay with the club and develop. We shouldn't be in a position like we were going down before.

I am very happy with the longer term view the club has taken rather than instant fix.

Prices have basically doubled for comparable player 3-4 years ago, and seem to be 50-100% more this year than last. Remember we paid £20m for Bent 9 years ago, £9.7 for Charles N'Zogbia in 2011 and £9m in 2009 for Curtis Davies. Use that as context. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think if there was a problem with players gelling, we'd have seen signs of it in the preseason friendlies (regardless of the standard of the opposition). I didn't. I saw players working a system, very effectively. Guilbert, Jota and Grealish, for example, looked like they'd played together for years. 

It'll work. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

You've answered it yourself really.

'thats a solid first 11 with 5 signings'. When has a solid first 11 ever been good enough in the premier League?

'do we really need 7 players on top?' You need a substitutes bench of 7 premier League players good enough to fill in when injuries/suspension kick in.

The maths isn't that difficult.