Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

51 minutes ago, useless said:

This is Leao's Transfermarkt page for his career stats, he's only ever played twice on the wing for Sporting Lisbon's youth side. Not sure why people seem to think that he's a winger, or can play on the wing, Wesley is just as much of a winger as Leao is, in fact looking at videos of the two, Wesley comes wide for the ball more than Leao does.

He is even listed on the same site as a left winger in secondary position. But then let's you filter by RW only. In any case, what does it matter? Where a player starts or is said to start does not define his playing style. Which is far more important. Have you seen him play? He drops wide or into midfield all the time. Yes, like Wesley does. This is why he's likened to Ronaldo and Mbappe. Neither or whom are tradtional strikers.

The point though, is that he can play with or compete with Wesley. Agree or not?

Edited by Mazrim

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

I wouldn't think they could afford both Mousset and Maupay.

I don't think Maupay has many options because of the fact that Brentford have overpriced him, but he's definitely unsettled.

Brighton and ourselves are the the only other 'rumoured' links that I've seen.

I think that Sheffield United could afford them both, if like us they were prepared to spend all or at least a large chunk of the extra income that promotion has given them.

They instead seem more likely to bank most of it and to hope that the players that got them up, can keep them up with the help of a couple of additions to their squad.

Their aim is to survive a relegation battle, where our aim is to avoid one, by paying the money to build a team that can fit into the PL more comfortably.

They will have the bulk of that money should their team take the drop at the end of this coming season, thus securing their long term future. We have owners that are looking up the table at where they want us to be, rather than at the bottom six positions where Sheffield United's officials anticipate being.

I hope that Maupay's choice does end up being between Brighton and Villa. If so, I rather expect to see him in a claret and blue shirt within a few days. 😉

41 minutes ago, John said:

I think that Sheffield United could afford them both, if like us they were prepared to spend all or at least a large chunk of the extra income that promotion has given them.

They instead seem more likely to bank most of it and to hope that the players that got them up, can keep them up with the help of a couple of additions to their squad.

Their aim is to survive a relegation battle, where our aim is to avoid one, by paying the money to build a team that can fit into the PL more comfortably.

They will have the bulk of that money should their team take the drop at the end of this coming season, thus securing their long term future. We have owners that are looking up the table at where they want us to be, rather than at the bottom six positions where Sheffield United's officials anticipate being.

I hope that Maupay's choice does end up being between Brighton and Villa. If so, I rather expect to see him in a claret and blue shirt within a few days. 😉

I don't think Sheffield united have a lot of money to spend. The joint owners have just completed a court action in which each has disputed ownership and "missed payments". It's civil war there at the moment despite promotion.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Imagine if we’d gone up 12 months ago. Most of the money would have gone in paying off debts and dodgy deals involving Xia and Wyness. The squad would have been full of the likes of Sturridge and Austin on 5 year contracts at £80K a week. We’d be back in The Championship and almost bankrupt by now. 

Makes me shiver to think about it. The 2018 playoff final was the best game we’ve ever lost. 

You're absolutely spot on with the importance of that lost play off final game.

• Like 2

Hepburn-Murphy and Davis both briliant in every sense of the word, Hogan played well too once he got his goal, and with Kodjia still to come back maybe we aren't so desperate for a striker after all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, useless said:

Hepburn-Murphy and Davis both briliant in every sense of the word.

Incredibly generous.

Only one of the players you've mentioned who could start for us is Kodjia.

After those 45 minutes today I'm convinced one of Leao or Maupay would be ideal to link up with Wesley. He's very Benteke-esque, if we can find him a partner better than Weimann or Gabby that suits his style he could be a very good find. 

Can't say too much, All I can and will say is, we've a bid in for Leao.

- Wether what we have submitted is acceptable is another question.

- and, IF it gets accepted it goes down to Laeo to decide.

Don't shoot the messenger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

After those 45 minutes today I'm convinced one of Leao or Maupay would be ideal to link up with Wesley. He's very Benteke-esque, if we can find him a partner better than Weimann or Gabby that suits his style he could be a very good find. 

There's a good chance it will be one or tother.

• Like 1