Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Think we'll sign Heaton and Phillips for around £30m and then wouldn't be surprised to see us bring in a couple of loans with options to buy, perhaps either a couple of youngsters in a similar way to how we loaned in Abraham and Tuanzebe last summer, or a couple of big names who we might not be able to pay for straight away because of FFP, or one of each.

Edited by useless

I don’t know if there is a strict budget. There probably is an outline of some sort, but I get the sense it’s not too rigid. If they feel the right player is available but for £5m more, then I don’t think that will prevent them from going for it.

If the Trezeguet and Luiz deals are sorted, then up front looks like it’s the area in most need of attention. They could of course surprise us with another big money striker, but I would expect the value to be a (relatively) cheaper £12m or so as I don’t see us playing two up top and I also can’t see us having a £20m+ striker on the bench. I accept it’s possible though and it would be pretty exciting if they did.

By my reckoning these Trezeguet and Luiz deals would also bring us pretty close to the 25 senior player limit, so I would imagine we’re not too far away from hearing rumours of some of the fringe players being loaned out/sold.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

So circa £110m spent so far if we include the deals for Luiz and Trezeguet. How much more to spend do we think? 2 key positions left for me and 1 nice to have.

GK - Butland - £20m or Heaton £10m

ST - Maupay - £18m - not seen anyone else linked really

CM - Nakamba - £10m - nice to have and a good backup to McGinn.

I haven’t seen Nakamba play, have you? If so, what sort of player is he?

Sturidge was always crap even in the season he scored 15 goals that was purely because of suarez having the best season since Henry. What he scored 35 goals and 10 assists. No one was marking Sturidge I could have scored 5 goals as a striker next to suarez. 

I have little doubt we've spoken to Sturridge or his representatives. I think it would be remiss of the club to not speak to free agents to see what they can offer and what terms they require. 

I also strongly suspect we would've said don't call us, we'll call you, and kept looking. 

Oh and as for Shane Long, he's far from good enough for what we need, but that annoying little bastard has scored more than enough jammy goals against us over the years. 

1 minute ago, Ponky said:

I have little doubt we've spoken to Sturridge or his representatives. I think it would be remiss of the club to not speak to free agents to see what they can offer and what terms they require. 

I also strongly suspect we would've said don't call us, we'll call you, and kept looking. 

Oh and as for Shane Long, he's far from good enough for what we need, but that annoying little bastard has scored more than enough jammy goals against us over the years. 

Even Sturridge scored a lot against us. 

I'd much prefer Long > Sturridge. At least with Long I know I'm getting maximum effort, working the channels, being an annoying bastard and just as importantly I know he's ready and available when I need him. 

Sturridge has wasted his talent. It's a shame, but it's not Aston Villa's problem and with any luck it never will be. 

34 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'd much prefer Long > Sturridge. At least with Long I know I'm getting maximum effort, working the channels, being an annoying bastard and just as importantly I know he's ready and available when I need him. 

Sturridge has wasted his talent. It's a shame, but it's not Aston Villa's problem and with any luck it never will be. 

Sturridge is still only 29 years old, he’s not exactly over the hill, if he could stay fit, I’d take him

Id sign Maupay for 30m if it meant stopping this incessant sturridge tripe.

If I was a betting man I’d reckon Sturridge will end up at Newcastle playing for Bruce. That’s tells you everything you need to know about his potential fit for us under Smith.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

Id sign Maupay for 30m if it meant stopping this incessant sturridge tripe.

If I was a betting man I’d reckon Sturridge will end up at Newcastle playing for Bruce. That’s tells you everything you need to know about his potential fit for us under Smith.

You’d spend £30m on a striker who has never even played in the Premier League?

18 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s a natural born goalscorer, I’m trying to name back up options for Wesley, can you name any?

Why back up options? Why can’t Wesley become the back up option?