Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

At times I think it’s only to easy to see that just below the surface of what he writes.

Bill Howell was the worst. Covered us for years but then showed his true colours after the 2015 cup tie although I believe that article was swiftly deleted.

3 minutes ago, thejoker said:

From the Bournemouth end it seems the fee is £26.5m, and from the Villa end it’s £20m. I think Villa are trying to save face a little because we’ve been well and truly mugged off it we’re paying £26.5m. 

I love Mings, but this signing could have happened anytime at Villa in the past 12 years (overpaying for English talent without finding gems abroad for a fraction of the price), have we learnt nothing?

At this point I’m not really sure what the point of Suso is.

So they’re telling the truth and we’re lying? Where’s the evidence that either figure is true? As for gems from abroad, we tried that the year we were relegated. There has to be a balance, some important positions, such as CB, would be a big gamble to just go with unknown quantities, we need some continuity and an element of knowing what we’re getting. Mings gives us both of those things and so we appear to be prepared to layout big money on him. That doesn’t mean we’re not trying to fill some positions in the squad with unknown quantities, for example Wesley. 

12 minutes ago, thejoker said:

From the Bournemouth end it seems the fee is £26.5m, and from the Villa end it’s £20m. I think Villa are trying to save face a little because we’ve been well and truly mugged off it we’re paying £26.5m. 

I love Mings, but this signing could have happened anytime at Villa in the past 12 years (overpaying for English talent without finding gems abroad for a fraction of the price), have we learnt nothing?

Have I missed something or is there a reason why we appear to think Suso had no involvement in the Wesley transfer?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

So they’re telling the truth and we’re lying? Where’s the evidence that either figure is true? As for gems from abroad, we tried that the year we were relegated. There has to be a balance, some important positions, such as CB, would be a big gamble to just go with unknown quantities, we need some continuity and an element of knowing what we’re getting. Mings gives us both of those things and so we appear to be prepared to layout big money on him. That doesn’t mean we’re not trying to fill some positions in the squad with unknown quantities, for example Wesley. 

The problem is that we didn't find gems but rather turds.

15 minutes ago, thejoker said:

I'd be concerned going in to a new season with 2 new CB's and a new DM. At least Mings knows the club and the way Smith wants us to play, so paying a bit more for this signing is not so much of an issue.

However, I really hope that we are not looking at meeting the £25m asking price for Webster.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Well that is part of the risk of course, although quite a few of them went on to have decent careers. The problem back then was that we were a complete shambles of a club and hadn’t got a clue how to put a squad together, on or off the pitch. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Many of them have had good careers since.

Difference is we were just begging to get relegated in those times, had no identity at the top level of the club and we also lost our three best players (Delph, Benteke and Vlaar). Likes of gana would've looked much better if those had stayed.

It would be like this summer signing 3-4 good players from abroad but then selling Grealish and McGinn.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

But are we saying this just because it's "Jack".

As to be honest I know which one is more captain material.

Fair play though.

I'm saying it because he is our most important player, brings the best out of him and clearly helped the team, given our record run. 

What makes mings more captain material?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

£20m seems a little excessive for someone with so limited appearances. But he was a breath of fresh air last season. Embodies the way we played, bought into the club ethos lead from his actions. Just what we need. Vice captain for the upcoming season. 

However, I disagree about the medical status. We still have to be diligent and do it thoroughly 

27 minutes ago, thejoker said:

So you didn't want to sign mings? 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm saying it because he is our most important player, brings the best out of him and clearly helped the team, given our record run. 

What makes mings more captain material?

to be fair would make Mings vice captain now (when he arrives).

Really tho, Mings acts like a captain on and off the pitch from what i have seen, true leaders dont really need an armband, im as much happy for what Mings will bring us off the pitch as what he brings us on it, true leader.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Have I missed something or is there a reason why we appear to think Suso had no involvement in the Wesley transfer?

I think people are expecting a handful of players to come in for peanuts and be worth £80m by xmas

Captain doesn’t matter. By that I mean do you think Mings will act any differently with or without a (c) by his name on the team sheet and an armband?

To be honest the amount Jack, rightly, moans at the ref, it’s probably best that he’s the one who is allowed to talk to the ref on the pitch and reduce the risk of dissent yellows.

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Bill Howell was the worst. Covered us for years but then showed his true colours after the 2015 cup tie although I believe that article was swiftly deleted.

F***. There's a name from bullshit past.

Him and that other clown, Ron Toss.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Someone mentioned Andre Green and Bjarnsson could be regular premier league starters on another thread I've just read.:lol:

happy ice hockey GIF by Florida Panthers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Villa Report saying Suso watched the Egypt game to view two players?

two?

Trezequet and.........?

Elmohamady, he's thinking about bidding £20m for him.

Or Mo Salah. Also £20m. Everyone costs £20m.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1