Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 minute ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Of what not being 20m? Or Being a top quality defender who has won most things, capped by England many times, a wealth of experience, scored overhead kicks against blue noses and probably has a soft spot for us? And on top of this is free? 

Ball carrying, athleticism and pace. Mostly. 

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He doesn't have the right attributes. 

He can head it and kick it away no problem. Maybe lost a bit of pace but then Mings/Hause with their athleticism could cover the ground. Been a regular for years at Chelsea playing 30 + games as they win premier leagues and go deep in champions league.

He also plays in a position where many players are at their best in their early 30s. Sergio Ramos is rated as one of best CBs in europe, he's 33. Brazil have Thiago Silva who's 34.

What is this odd criteria we place for CBs out of interest?

9 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I hope this is true. BBC don’t normally report totally unfounded sports news, if so, that’s good value from what I’ve seen of him. 

If he doesn;t play in the Championship and cost at least 25 mill I don't want him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Blades have a £20m fee agreed for Maupay. It was thought it would go through this week however apparently Villa and Burnley have since submitted bids. Maupay allegedly holding out to be reunited with Dean Smith....

[via Twitter, all according to journalist Chris Walton]

934FA16C-BB97-4C33-80A5-AD6F46D2A328.jpeg

Edited by thunderball
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ball carrying, athleticism and pace. Mostly. 

Mings and Hause can do that.

At CB you need contrast. One who's a brick wall and can head it away last 10 minutes when we're defending a 1-0 lead away from home and sitting on our 18 yard box and another who can drop off and anticipate the play more.

Find it mad Cahill is on a free and people wouldn't take him if he wanted to come.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Blades have a £20m fee agreed for Maupay. It was thought it would go through this week however apparently Villa and Burnley have since submitted bids. Maupay allegedly holding out to be reunited with Dean Smith....

[via Twitter, all according to journalist Chris Walton]

Think he'll come to us if that's all true.

Is Maupay a pure out and out forward or can he play out wide in a 4-3-3?

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I think we will have to start doing alot of this, wait for other clubs to agree fees, then swoop.

As it seems when we approach first they try to shaft us.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

If we sign Trezeguet (and Benrahma who is our main target) I expect Green to out on loan which would suit him I think

I think it will be one or the other. We already have el ghazi and jota. Can't see us having 4 wingers who will all want regular playing time. 

• Like 2

The reactions here to the money for Mings and other signings reminds me of something I saw a few years ago in the NBA.

The NBA, like a lot of American sports leagues, has a salary cap for its teams, and along with that cap, there's a salary floor (a minimum teams must spend on player payroll). That salary cap and floor is directly proportionate to the revenue the league brings in on an annual basis. Well, a few years ago the NBA signed a new TV deal with ESPN for billions of dollars. This meant that the salary cap jumped significantly in one year, and that first summer of free agency the players were signing these huge money deals, and every reaction was the same "$15 million for that guy!?" etc. 

It was just the new reality of NBA salaries, and I believe this summer we're having that same kind of reaction to transfer fees. Yes, they seem high compared to what we've grown accustomed to, but this is the new reality of the sport. And with players getting quicker and even more athletic and technical than they were before, capable defenders who can keep up with them are more valued than ever before, so we're really seeing the spike in prices for defenders like Mings.

I'm not thrilled at paying so much for a player who has injury concerns, but this is what it is now. I can only hope that we stick around in the Premier League long enough that we're no longer cognizant of it.

UTV

Edited by VillaHatesMe
  • Like 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

I think it will be one or the other. We already have el ghazi and jota. Can't see us having 4 wingers who will all want regular playing time. 

Sounds to me we might be finally moving on from certain targets

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think he can play wide in a front 3. At worst it’s an option to swap out with El Ghazi. Hope it happens, think he could be a massive hit in the PL

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1