Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think it will be one or the other. We already have el ghazi and jota. Can't see us having 4 wingers who will all want regular playing time. 

I don’t think DS will only play 4-3-3 with his first choice players all season, he needs options and plan B.

14 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Blades have a £20m fee agreed for Maupay. It was thought it would go through this week however apparently Villa and Burnley have since submitted bids. Maupay allegedly holding out to be reunited with Dean Smith....

[via Twitter, all according to journalist Chris Walton]

934FA16C-BB97-4C33-80A5-AD6F46D2A328.jpeg

Chris Walton - is exactly what a guy called Chris Walton is.

• Haha 1

I think in terms of prices we will be paying it's two major points that has to be made. We are probably willing to pay a bit over market value for players we know will hit the ground running. 

Secondly I think the club and Deano wants an English core and they are vary about signing a bunch of foreigners to gel quickly. It's easily a recipe for 2015 all over again. I think foreigners will be more the spice to the squad, thus they will get the time needed to settle.  And rightly so. 

While I am not sold on the quality of Phillips, Butland or Webster, I wouldn't be surprised if they signed in the end. Trezeguet wouldn't surprise me either. 

I just hope we sign another trip quality CB.

Thirdly, if paying 5 million more for 4-5 signings in addons related to PL survival, then I am all for it. It's a win win. PL survival addon  clause is something we should abuse. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

7 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Like who? You have special insights, so I'm all ears

I know **** all. But Trezeguet is the type of winger I could see us move for if Behnrama is valued too high. 

7 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I don’t think DS will only play 4-3-3 with his first choice players all season, he needs options and plan B.

Agreed. But we aren't paying £20 million for options and maupay isn't coming to be part of plan b.

Jota and hause are the kind of signings to give options and plan b

16 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Think he can play wide in a front 3. At worst it’s an option to swap out with El Ghazi. Hope it happens, think he could be a massive hit in the PL

I think he can be the troublesome player with a bit of bite that fans of other teams usually hate. If he comes he’ll add to the general energy of the team that I think is important to Smith. That can often make the difference in games, especially when we’re up against a good side who may have better quality on the pitch but we can get at them and not let them get into their stride. 

Also of course we can’t go into the season with one quality, (hopefully), striker. Davis isn’t really ready yet and I have serious doubts as to whether Kodjia can be anything other than a bit part player. 

Edited by DaveAV1

Said it many times I want us to sign (the no doubt agent drumming up interest and/or clickbait headliner) Rafael Leao. Imagine a front three of Wesley Leao with jack as a false nine with McGinn and Santamaria/Phillips behind. Just let me dream for a few mins as I know it ain’t gunna happen .... Maupay I would of thought we would of signed already if we really wanted him but I’m probs wrong ....

Its good to have different options and formations dependent of the opposition with Trezequet and El Ghazi as wingers interchangeable... 

Edited by thabucks

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Agreed. But we aren't paying £20 million for options and maupay isn't coming to be part of plan b.

Jota and hause are the kind of signings to give options and plan b

What if Wesley doesn’t work or gets injured?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

While I am not sold on the quality of Phillips, Butland or Butland, I wouldn't be surprised if they signed in the end. Trezeguet wouldn't surprise me either. 

You really question his ability, don’t you

So, we have signed Mings, Hause, Jota, El Ghazi, Targett & Wesley for a combined £65m odd, with more to come.

SHA sell their best two players in Jota and Adams, their first choice central defender and captain leaves on a free, their manager is sacked and their owner says they want to play like Barcelona (after selling Jota).

john c. mcginley laughing GIF

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Apparently purslow is out in cairo checking out trezequet

gotta be honest, i wasnt impressed with his "highlight reel", especially considering all players look good on them, i wasnt overly impressed with Trezequet.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, thunderball said:

What if Wesley doesn’t work or gets injured?

You could say that about every position. We aren't signing a £20 million attacking mid if jack gets injured. 

I think if you're expecting £20 million back up players who are happy in that role, you will be disappointed this summer. 

Doing some sums

Hause - £3m

Targett - £11-14m

El Ghazi - £8m

Jota - £2m

Wesley - £22m

Mings - £20-26m

Note: I know all those numbers aren't precise, but even as an approximation we've spent about £65-£70m already.

Add £8-10m for Trezeguet if that goes through, leaving a Defensive Midfielder to still come too.

Can't say Smith hasn't been supported by the new owners!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Out vile demon. What is this sorcery of which you speak? We are Aston Villa and we rely on Ian Ormondrod... only to fire us to glory.

Ahh, Ian Ormondroyd. A poor mans Peter Crouch. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

gotta be honest, i wasnt impressed with his "highlight reel", especially considering all players look good on them, i wasnt overly impressed with Trezequet.

I have never seen him play so I have no clue how good or shit he is.