Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

36 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

That's what I hope. Think I'm just having a moment.

I read it as 8-9 total this Summer. It says "including the ones done already" - so that would be Hause, Targett, Jota, El Ghazi and Wesley. So 3/4 more total.

1 minute ago, John said:

I had read his first post as another 8-9 as well, but his reply does suggest that is the total.

That just has to be wrong! I have taken it that his reply was a very quick one and was not too well thought through. 

With the prices being quoted, just another 3 - 4 will run 90 - 120 mill. lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I would tend to agree with you if he wasn't so far down the pecking order at Bournemouth.

It is not like he is anything close to one of their key players.

The piss is officially been taken with some of these fees.

But how do we know that for sure?

I strongly suspect Mings does want to sign for Villa but who’s to say Bournemouth haven’t played a blinder here. He was injured for nearly 2 years and they gave him to us to a) gain full fitness and b) raise his profile. 

Perhaps Mings is in Bournemouth’s plans this season and although they may be able to afford to let him go, they’ll only do that an inflated price. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wes said:

I read it as 8-9 total this Summer. It says "including the ones done already" - so that would be Hause, Targett, Jota, El Ghazi and Wesley. So 3/4 more total.

Needs to be another striker, wide player, DM and CB then. We have enough at full back as ever. Forgot the keeper issue but then the other 4 are a must if we want to be solid mid table. Probably new two CBs still if Chester fitness dosen't hold. So really another 3-4 as a minimum and they need to be straight into 11 rather than squad punts.

Problem will be if we get injuries early on as then squad players will be needed and there's a drop off in quality in several areas.

Can see us having a busy January for a few reasons.

Edited by VillaChris

2 minutes ago, Wes said:

If we only sign 3/4 more players, we’ll be relegated by Xmas. We need 7/8 more.

What happens if Grealish gets injured and Wesley struggles? We’re done for. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t agree re exceptions for certain areas having given the examples I’ve given.

I don’t think anyone thinks we are going to build a “powerhouse team” this window, that’s a completely false position you are opposing.

Even when Wolves did? The next best team to the top 6 last year and their record against the top 6 was pretty good. All they added last summer as regular 11 players was Wily Boly signed full time (28 now so that experienced CB needed), Joao Moutinho as a CM (33 years old) and then Raul Jimenez who is mid 20s but already been at Atletico Madrid and Benfica.

Seen a few posters on here saying if Wolves can finish 7th we shouldn't be too far away from that (I haven't as I'd be more than happy with 14th). If people believe we can finish top half we need to step up in transfer targets I think.

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

But how do we know that for sure?

I strongly suspect Mings does want to sign for Villa but who’s to say Bournemouth haven’t played a blinder here. He was injured for nearly 2 years and they gave him to us to a) gain full fitness and b) raise his profile. 

Perhaps Mings is in Bournemouth’s plans this season and although they may be able to afford to let him go, they’ll only do that an inflated price. 

Sadly, you might be correct.

Hence why Purslow and Dean hate loans.

We've developed/Rehabilitated Mings and Tuanzebe for their respective clubs, and our competition.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

20m+ for Mings would be insane. 

Not so sure, targetts price could go up to 17m and he has played less than Mings.

I could see 15m/18m rising to 20m/23m ish being reasonable.

If it were to be 25 would have to be 15/18 rising to 25 for me.

I agree anything over 25 as a final price with all add ons would be tough to swallow.

• Like 1

If Percy's understanding of the scenario is correct, the remaining 3/4 could be:

1) A Centre Back - e.g. Mings, Webster

2) A Defensive Midfielder - e.g. Phillips, Skhiri

3) A versatile Attacher - e.g. Benrahma, Trezeguet

And a possible - 4) A goalkeeper if Kalinic leaves

I imagine Mings is the priority, and depending on how much it costs to get him from Bournemouth will determine which of the other targets we go in for (as Phillips and Benrahma will be expensive.

I'm not saying this is what I think we need, I think we need two centre backs in for starters, I'm just speculating based on Percy's tweets today.

At this point walking away from deal for Ming's , it's pretty much like the arnautovic deal , if Bournemouth believe that Ming's will be a distraction to the rest of squad they will come back to us

15 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

And not good enough. By a country mile 

Why do you think this? I think he’s been more than fine whenever he’s been called upon, he’s young and will improve over time. He can play at left back and centre back, he’s great in the air I think, I think £3m for him is shrewd business for an England u21 international 

14 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I said it in Jan and will say it again now, just can't see Cahill being the sort of signing we are looking to make. Bound to sign Monday now.

I think they may make one exception.....but I agree with their policy in general.

Maybe he will be groomed to replace JT as coach when JT leaves after his apprenticeship with Dean.

Edited by TRO

Hearing the news yesterday and having slept on it, perhaps Jansson wouldn't be a bad alternative to the ones we're chasing, i.e. Mings, Webster etc?   If the 5.5m quoted is to be believed, then it's not a bad buy at all.  

Now don't get me wrong, I don't particularly like the sound of the fella and he certainly comes across as a word removed, but with every Championship club wanting 20m for their best players, 5.5m would seem like a bargain.  

Does anyone know if he plays right or left side of central defence?   

Edited by ferguson1

15 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Not so sure, targetts price could go up to 17m and he has played less than Mings.

I could see 15m/18m rising to 20m/23m ish being reasonable.

If it were to be 25 would have to be 15/18 rising to 25 for me.

I agree anything over 25 as a final price with all add ons would be tough to swallow.

We certainly overpaid for Targett, back up LBs at clubs don't really go for 15m +.

That said I would get Mings in even if it's 20m (which could well be meeting in middle price). His leadership at the back was inspirational in the run in and he's our best aerial CB since Laursen imo.

Issue I have is if we get him in we shouldn't then be spending another 20m + on another CB who has no prem experience like Webster. There is simply better value out there and for less.

10 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Hearing the news yesterday and having slept on it, perhaps Jansson wouldn't be a bad alternative to the ones we're chasing, i.e. Mings, Webster etc?   If the 5.5m quoted is to be believed, then it's not a bad buy at all.  

Now don't get me wrong, I don't particularly like the sound of the fella and he certainly comes across as a word removed, but with every Championship club wanting 20m for their best players, 5.5m would seem like a bargain.  

Does anyone know if he plays right or left side of central defence?   

For that price he's a bargain imo, 20 caps for Sweden, has experience of being with Serie A club (although he didn't play much at Torino). Big commanding CB who can score a few goals so gives off the same vibe to Leeds crowd we got off Mings.

Only 27-28 aswell I think so very good age for a CB as they tend to come into their prime now coming up to 30 compared to other positions on the pitch.

No way anyone will convince me it's worth forking out over 10m + more on players like Webster.

BTW him randomly going to Brentford (dosen't really fit their transfer model at all) suggests they'll be cashing in very soon on Erzi Konza very soon, there was talk of Wolves very interested a few weeks ago.

Edited by VillaChris

25 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sadly, you might be correct.

Hence why Purslow and Dean hate loans.

We've developed/Rehabilitated Mings and Tuanzebe for their respective clubs, and our competition.

True to a degree but do you think we would of been promoted with Jedi and a broken Chester at CB? So really who are the real winners? 

Edited by Hobbit Feet
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think this? I think he’s been more than fine whenever he’s been called upon, he’s young and will improve over time. He can play at left back and centre back, he’s great in the air I think, I think £3m for him is shrewd business for an England u21 international 

No offence,  but with your never ending praise of youth players who never have been good enough, this is a futile discussion. 

I've seen enough of Hause to see he has something we can develop and he's a good squad option, but he isn't Premier League starter material. Not even close. 

• Like 3