Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Strikes me that we're too caught up chasing Championship players and Championship clubs are being smart enough to drive fees upward. If most of our budget is going to go on players from that level then we could be in for a rude awakening.  There's a much bigger footballing world out there and better value abroad, yes we shouldn't completely discount the Championship but seems like our efforts to recruit players from that level is disproportionate. 

I doubt we know exactly who we are chasing tbh. (Generally speaking)

Currently we have signed 2 x prem team players, a Belgian league player, a French league player and a championship player.

But Yeah does appear we are looking at champ players, but we just don't seem to know about our foreign recruitment, which was shown perfectly by Wesley.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Strikes me that we're too caught up chasing Championship players and Championship clubs are being smart enough to drive fees upward. If most of our budget is going to go on players from that level then we could be in for a rude awakening.  There's a much bigger footballing world out there and better value abroad, yes we shouldn't completely discount the Championship but seems like our efforts to recruit players from that level is disproportionate. 

Don’t know if they are smart driving up their prices. 9 out of 10 championship clubs need to sell their top players to stay afloat, they risk not being able to sell the longer the window goes on with ridiculous prices

18 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Strikes me that we're too caught up chasing Championship players and Championship clubs are being smart enough to drive fees upward.

Agreed, at the moment there is loads of questions around our recruitment team for me. We get one chance at this summer reset with plenty of funds available. This is it. Can't ever remember a turn around of players in our favour like this.

Time still to do business but Suso and his team need to pull their finger out.

The Championship links simply tell to me that the targets aren't being identified. Deals are happening every week for players we could have got in for reasonable fees.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

I like the fact that we are being prudent with our money and not allowing information to leak, and not allowing ourselves to be fleeced.

But I am also a little concerned that we don't go too far the other way and start losing out on our key targets because we are arguing over a few million here and there.

If we get relegated again we will be arguing over a few million then...

I'm sure it's tough and I do have confidence in the management team for the first time in a  decade, but as I say I hope we aren't being too over the top in trying to pinch pennies.

Yeah I alluded to this yesterday. Last summer , when the board took over, we didn’t get all the signings we wanted. In January we didn’t either. Whilst I understand we don’t want to be taken to the cleaners over the prices, Purslow had that reputation at Liverpool.

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

By all accounts the fitness coach Sherwood hires was incompetent and our pre season was a joke. 

Veretout has also spoken about how Sherwood made no effort to integrate him into the squad and basically didn’t even speak to him at all. 

It’s a stretch to absolve Sherwood of any blame on that one. 

Didn't he start the first 3-4 games? He spoke no English so not sure how Sherwood could communicate bar hand signals in training?

Remi Garde was in soon enough, Veretout came back into the team with a manager he could understand (Eric Black could also speak French) and the performances were a bit better.

We were just a mess all round at that stage and waiting to get relegated. Totally different situation now.

26 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

While preseason is important a player like Mings knows our football and general setup. I'd like to see us get in Tuanzebe's replacement first. 

Hause is a CB

12 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I said it in Jan and will say it again now, just can't see Cahill being the sort of signing we are looking to make. Bound to sign Monday now.

In some areas you need to make exception, getting a calm head at CB with 10 + premier league seasons to guide the young full backs feels like a good move to me. Even if we get Mings back he's not really played that much in the premier league and certainly not at CB so unfair to expect him to lead us at this level.

I feel it's a bit naive if people are thinking we're going to build a premier league powerhouse team with everyone under 25, you need nous and been there done it players in key areas.

• Like 2

Isn't Fernando Llorente being released by Spurs on a free or something? I know he's old and seems to have got plenty of stick at Spurs but he was actually pretty good at Swansea in the time he was there and one who'd be happy to rotate with Wesley up top. Rather have him than Sturridge who is completely finished at this level (people forgot he actually went on loan to WBA and barely played any games)

We need more upfront than we've presently got atm, an experience option would be good just in case Wesley struggles to fire or settle.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villarocker said:

Out of all the players we've been linked with I can see these coming to fruition: 

Butland - Think the deal is done at £20m plus add-ons and we are just letting Stoke bring in signings before announcing the deal so that they don't get ripped off in pursuit of new players. 

Nakamba - Again, I think a deal is done and we are just waiting for him to return from the AFCON. It fits in nicely with the deal for Wesley and they can help each other settle in and he'll probably cost us around £10m. 

Mings - I can't imagine him settling back in at Bournemouth and I think there's a fee agreed but they're just waiting to see if anyone makes a higher offer. 

I think that apart from those we are probably seriously interested in Webster but scared off by the asking price. Maybe we are playing the waiting game on that one in the hope of gettin him at a more reasonable asking price? 

What I don't want is for us to take gambles on either of Cahill or Sturridge. If we have to take either then it's Cahill all day long as I genuinely believe he just wants to play football and I would trust Terry's advice on that one. However, Sturridge has no other motive than to get a pay-day out of someone and would be a terrible signing and would be the next Lescott/Richards IMO. He's injured more than fit and he's got Bluenose in him so would probably love ripping the Villa off. His uncle manages a Hills betting shop in Brum and he is a nose too! 

I would love us to sign Jarrod Bowen from out of nowhere as he could start off playing the RM role and also fill in up front if Wesley is ever out. I think that lad has all the attributes to play in the Premier League. 

Bowen going to Southampton, fee agreed apparently.

• Sad 2

Just now, VillaChris said:

Southampton done well there, getting in him and Che Adams for what 25m combined? Almost as much as we're trying to sign this Webster guy for....

Yes, good business right there.

Sturridge either has legs made of dreams and squirrels tears or is a massive hypochondriac who won't play unless he's absolutely fit. Either way, his career is basically over. There's not a chance we're interested.

• Like 1

The fees for Bowen, Adams, and Jansson should give a clearer indication of how much we will have to pay for Championship players, rather than made-up figures in the click-bait press. I'm still of the opinion that outside of players from the relegated clubs like Sessegnon and Mitrovic, and possibly Butland, not one championship player will transfer for more than £20m this summer.

• Like 2

I think one problem is clubs know how many players we need to sign and that we have now have rich owners and have showed our hand with the Moraes signing in terms of fees we will pay. Every club will have doubled their valuations of their players when we come calling and I if we give into every stupid valuation it will just continue. The press will also double all fees to create drama so they can endless speculate on something not happening.

We are also trying to sign the best players from clubs who have promotion aspirations, like when we held onto Grealish. And Brentford who have a squad worth billions.

Teams eventually have to realise it is disruptive to keep a player that either doesn't want to stay there or they really don't want to keep.

But again I think we are obsessing over the wrong players, Mings aside i reckon most of the players we are linked to are not the ones we will sign.

Edited by VillanousOne