Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

36 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

:( no, he isn’t, he’s a model pro who is never in the news for the wrong reasons. Yes, he has lot a bit of pace but his ability to read the game is still there, I don’t think a player ever loses that capability, I’d love him back 

Couldn't agree more SGC, comparing Cahill to Lescott is lazy and inaccurate!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Leao now being linked with Napoli and Juventus. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Sturridge or Austin it is then.

sad cry GIF

Just more lazy journalism on all sides.  Nobody knew we were getting Wesley till he signed so now we get linked with almost everybody so someone has the honour of saying "I told you so".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just got a 'google news' notification that we are actively after Sturridge. Anyone else heard anything of the sort or is google sourcing their news from the same lazy journalists we normally hear tripe from.

I know there are lots of negatives to signing but there is one glaring positive that lures me in. He is one of the most natural goalscorers I've seen in recent times.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

8 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Couldn't agree more SGC, comparing Cahill to Lescott is lazy and inaccurate!

The only thing they have in common is the age.  I remember Albion fans laughing when they sold him saying we’ve been done.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I just got a 'google news' notification that we are actively after Sturridge. Anyone else heard anything of the sort or is google sourcing their news from the same lazy journalists we normally hear tripe from.

I know there are lots of negatives to signing but there is one glaring positive that lures me in. He is one of the most natural goalscorers I've seen in recent times.

Sturridge as our main striker has disaster written all over it. Sturridge in the squad behind wesley is appealing to me a lot. 

The guy is quality. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Old lazy news.

If I'd taken a punt on him 3 years ago in last game week in FPL instead of Firmino would've achieved holy grail of top 1000 finish. That's how relevant he is 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

No on every level.  Couldn't make it with all the talent at Plop so I'm doubting he'll be successful here.   Reckon Albion would take him!

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The only thing they have in common is the age.  I remember Albion fans laughing when they sold him saying we’ve been done.

And yet nobody has hardly seen him play in a year, and he is reaching the age where footballers can't play at the top level any more. And we are used to playing with pacey CBs and would have to change things to accommodate him.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Sturridge as our main striker has disaster written all over it. Sturridge in the squad behind wesley is appealing to me a lot. 

The guy is quality. 

Over the last 5 seasons he has averaged 14 matches and 4 goals in the the Premier League and is always getting injured. Is that enough of a return, even as a back up option?

Out of all the players we've been linked with I can see these coming to fruition: 

Butland - Think the deal is done at £20m plus add-ons and we are just letting Stoke bring in signings before announcing the deal so that they don't get ripped off in pursuit of new players. 

Nakamba - Again, I think a deal is done and we are just waiting for him to return from the AFCON. It fits in nicely with the deal for Wesley and they can help each other settle in and he'll probably cost us around £10m. 

Mings - I can't imagine him settling back in at Bournemouth and I think there's a fee agreed but they're just waiting to see if anyone makes a higher offer. 

I think that apart from those we are probably seriously interested in Webster but scared off by the asking price. Maybe we are playing the waiting game on that one in the hope of gettin him at a more reasonable asking price? 

What I don't want is for us to take gambles on either of Cahill or Sturridge. If we have to take either then it's Cahill all day long as I genuinely believe he just wants to play football and I would trust Terry's advice on that one. However, Sturridge has no other motive than to get a pay-day out of someone and would be a terrible signing and would be the next Lescott/Richards IMO. He's injured more than fit and he's got Bluenose in him so would probably love ripping the Villa off. His uncle manages a Hills betting shop in Brum and he is a nose too! 

I would love us to sign Jarrod Bowen from out of nowhere as he could start off playing the RM role and also fill in up front if Wesley is ever out. I think that lad has all the attributes to play in the Premier League. 

Just now, praisedmambo said:

And yet nobody has hardly seen him play in a year, and he is reaching the age where footballers can't play at the top level any more. And we are used to playing with pacey CBs and would have to change things to accommodate him.

That's a fair point, but I put a fair bit of value on his experience and his rapport with JT. I believe he can be of great value to us. What he can offer - On the field + Off the field = worth it for me.

• Like 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

The Sturridge link is as laughable as the ‘journalist’ that wrote it, Alan Nixon is a complete and utter joke. He has about the same level of insight on Villa as David Cameron.

I heard David Cameron was an ITK.

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

That's a fair point, but I put a fair bit of value on his experience and his rapport with JT. I believe he can be of great value to us. What he can offer - On the field + Off the field = worth it for me.

Not a dig at you but many of us myself included said the same or similar about Samba, Lescott, Richards and people like Joe Cole and lots of others.

No doubt someone will throw McGrath’s name out in reply so I’ll pre-empt that by saying not every older player is past it or no longer arsed. John Terry demonstrated that and I actually think Cahill is more like Terry than the others mentioned I’d just rather we take a different approach.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The Sturridge link is as laughable as the ‘journalist’ that wrote it, Alan Nixon is a complete and utter joke. He has about the same level of insight on Villa as David Cameron.

That's the info I was looking for! Even though I will admit I'd consider Villa taking the risk on him, probably cos you know we haven't signed 12 players yet and even optimistic people like me are getting bored 😅 The signing makes no sense and it would be very risky and probably stupid. Hopefully we sign someone this Wednesday and I stop with these foolish thoughts.

Edited by Villan_of_oz