Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Even if  we sign Luiz I wouldn't rule out signing Phillips, both players can play further forward where we're not exactly heavy with quality beyone Grealish and McGinn, so it wouldn't be as if we could only use one of them at any given time in the DM spot, and also have to bear in mind that Luiz has missed a number of games through injury the past few seasons. I don't think we will need to break our transfer record to get Phillips either, wouldn't be surprised to see us loan in a player with an option to buy which if we take up could potentially break our transfer record next summer.

Edited by useless

38 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I second that, Ties in with what I've been told, and that we actually have a bid on the table.

If not successful, Maupay will be the player we sign.

We won't wait forever for Lille and Laeo to make their minds up.

I hope that we don't risk missing out on Maupay, if Laeo/Lille delay too long and eventually say No.... 

Edited by John

6 minutes ago, John said:

Le Tissier was too good for Southampton and Jack was too good for us, but they were loyal and stuck around.

Benteke wasn't good enough for where he went and he isn't good enough for us now! ;)

I wonder if he regrets leaving. Also, I wonder what sort of position we'd be in now if he stayed?

In any case, I don't begrudge him wanting to leave. He was a truly top-drawer striker at the time and a club offering far better circumstances came knocking. We got decent money for him, too.

1 minute ago, Greenfly said:

I wonder if he regrets leaving. Also, I wonder what sort of position we'd be in now if he stayed?

In any case, I don't begrudge him wanting to leave. He was a truly top-drawer striker at the time and a club offering far better circumstances came knocking. We got decent money for him, too.

I rather hope that he does. I think we might have stayed up that season had he stayed, but it's water under the bridge for him and us now. 

23 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I don't think we have a hope in hell of signing Leao.

We could sign Leao if we wanted to, but a high fee for a 19 year old who only started half his clubs game last season is probably not at the top of Purslow's/Smith's agenda.

He's one for the future and I don't think we're at the stage of buying highly paid developing bench warmers.

We need to shop for the first team in this window.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, John said:

Le Tissier was too good for Southampton and Jack was too good for us, but they were loyal and stuck around.

Benteke wasn't good enough for where he went and he isn't good enough for us now! ;)

You are right in that he’s not good enough for us now, but it’s unfair to imply he was disloyal. He was the best player by a country mile in a rubbish side for 3 years and for 3 years he almost single-handedly kept us up, while our management did not hold up their responsibility to build on those achievements and appropriately strengthen. He stayed at least 1 year more than was good for his career. At least. 

As it panned out his subsequent choices have been disastrous, but you can’t deny that he was epic for us, and always gave his best here. If Douglas, Wes or whoever does the same, it would be fine by me.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Correct. And I don't think we are even looking into it. 

I reckon we are, and I reckon that's the hold up in Maupay. Don't forget Suso would know all about him, and in the past few weeks DS was spotted on a flight to Portugal (not a holiday) and we wondered what it was about - could have been meeting Leao's representatives or Leao himself as he is Portuguese?

You can also ways tell by looking at the sunlight, and I'd say the lighting in that picture makes it seem like he's in the UK, but can't tell for sure because he's indoors.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I'd say the lighting in that picture makes it seem like he's in the UK, 

I should know this being an Electrician but do foreign lamps throw out different light? :trollface: