Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Just now, Genie said:

I have it on good authority Villa were in for Albrighton in the summer and January (prompting Leicester to give him a new deal). I wonder if we go in again now...

Another criminal decision. Can someone open a Villa Disaster Decision thread? 

Why did we release him?

Just now, Mic09 said:

Another criminal decision. Can someone open a Villa Disaster Decision thread? 

Why did we release him?

Villa offered him a deal, like a fringe player deal. Leicester offered him much more money and a place in the first team.

I look at Marc and Gabby in a similar way, they had similar career trajectory. I think MA leaving gave him the kick up the arse Gabby needed bit didn’t get. It was much too comfortable at Villa back then.

I think of GA had left at a similar point he’d have pushed on, or at least maintain his level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Anyone for the rumour of us signing Jack butland at 30 mill??

We're also looking to sell Lovre as well it seems.

All you need is Lovre. Having said that Butland is top class, but £30m might be a bit beyond us just yet.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I have it on good authority Villa were in for Albrighton in the summer and January (prompting Leicester to give him a new deal). I wonder if we go in again now...

I think that ship has sailed, as much as I like him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Villa offered him a deal, like a fringe player deal. Leicester offered him much more money and a place in the first team.

I look at Marc and Gabby in a similar way, they had similar career trajectory. I think MA leaving gave him the kick up the arse Gabby needed bit didn’t get. It was much too comfortable at Villa back then.

I think of GA had left at a similar point he’d have pushed on, or at least maintain his level.

From what I recall, in the last season he played for us he was a very good sub option and many saw him as a starter.

Funny thing is me and my brother met him outside the North Stand pre game the season he left and he said he missed Villa very much. Seemed like a very likeable person.

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Genie said:

We tried to sign him as recently as January so not quite out of the dock! 

True, but I think that may have been as a push to get promoted. H'e'd have certainly been an upgrade on Albert/Green. He's subsequently signed a new deal at Leicester and we are promoted so have potentially far more options. 

However if Brendan doesn't like him (he signed his contract before Rogers took over) and he's cheap then I wouldn't say no! 

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Lambert didn't seem to fancy him which probably made up his mind. 

Jack, Lolley, Albrighton. Suso and Deano have 1 main criteria for Villa squad 😂

Edited by Zatman

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Anyone for the rumour of us signing Jack butland at 30 mill??

We're also looking to sell Lovre as well it seems.

£30m? Is it silly season?!

I'd weep if it was more than £8m! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Which kind of alludes to my edited wider point.

To clarify, theres real danger in trumpeting or dismissing a transfer in isolation. For instance, Jota already being regarded as a useless ‘championship’ transfer without understanding it’s part of a wider set of transfers.

that's why we have a decent manager.

How many players do you think Ron Saunders signed with doubts from the fans, in the early days.....in the fullness of time, no one questioned him.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

What's funny is, as an American I wasn't able to watch every match in the Championship, but the ones I did see were on the ESPN+ app, which is a vastly superior product to the NBC Sports app I'll be watching most Villa matches on next season. This is the cross I must bear. 

I too am in the same canoe - ESPN+ was very good

• Like 2

American as well...  Don't know what you guys are on...  NBC's app is miles ahead of that POS that is AVTV.  ESPN+ was ok, but NBC's app isn't that bad at all.

5 hours ago, thunderball said:

Bang on. Defence is the key to this season and the Premier League generally: when its so hard to score goals, preventing conceding against some of the best attackers in the country is so important to ensure you at least get a result. 1-0's and draws over a season count. 

Mings has been our Van dijk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

What makes you think they aren't competent keepers?

Honestly, looking at what's left of our squad and the amount we have to bring in I don't think we'll be in the market for a new keeper unless an amazing deal drops in our lap.

We have too much other business to do and Steer has the confidence of the manager/defence at the moment. Having Croatia's number 1 as a back up isn't too shabby either. I trust the coaches to improve all of our keepers as well.

I think it's an area we might try to improve in the future, there are better keepers out there, but I don't think it's as pressing as other positions.

I think we will.

40 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He seems a decent keeper to me and keepers only get better with age.

Someone that also knows the club and would be a decent GK addition imo.

But we'd just be stock piling keepers of a similar standard. We need about 10 outfield players, let's sort that out then see if there's funds left for a significant improvement in goal. 

Johnstone is not better than Steer, anyone we need to bring in that position needs to be well above his standard otherwise there is no point. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, KMitch said:

American as well...  Don't know what you guys are on...  NBC's app is miles ahead of that POS that is AVTV.  ESPN+ was ok, but NBC's app isn't that bad at all.

Do you watch on a laptop/tablet or on your TV? Because the picture quality when watching on a TV was much better on ESPN+ than the NBC app. 

16 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Do you watch on a laptop/tablet or on your TV? Because the picture quality when watching on a TV was much better on ESPN+ than the NBC app. 

Out of interest do you get ALL Premier League games via NBC Sports? I might be heading to the US for a couple of months and I'm wondering the best way to go about this. I'm looking at Sling TV, but I don't think I can get NBC Gold on that? Am I missing much?

Apologies for the off topic post, didn't seem worth starting a new thread for!

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.