Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

3 hours ago, macandally said:

Fortunately, we have more options than Chester or Cahill.

There are better options and that is why we have invested in our scouting system.  I would rather have Hause, Mings and Tuanzebe than Cahill and if we found them, we can find others on the right side of their career evolution.

I am not suggesting we only sign Cahill and nobody else. For me its a given we get Mings, thats one down... He needs a permanent partner and I don't think Hause (utility/squad) or Chester (crocked) will be that person so we need another first choice centre back. Would love it to be Axel but this is very unlikely, and at a time when we need 10-14 signings necessity suggests that some are loans (with a view to purchase) or out of contract players. Cahill is this and ticks a lot of boxes. Signing this many players is going need compromises and creativity and this deal offers a lot of upside and could bolster the spine of the team.

I’d like us to bring in someone like Sangaré to be our defensive mid. There’s been lots of talk about him being the next Kante or whatever, he plays for Toulouse, and he’s only 21 so plenty of time to develop. Transfermarkt website values him at £12m, but I have a feeling he would be a lot more than that. I think worth more though as it’s a position we badly need to get sorted.

Ibrahim Sangaré

Date of Birth (Age): Dec 2, 1997 (21)

Citizenship: Cote d'IvoireCote d'Ivoire

Height: 1,91 m

Position: Defensive Midfield 

Contract until: 30.06.2021

Current international: Cote d'IvoireIvory Coast U23

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

as sad as it might be , because Steer has played more than his part getting us up.....We need a competent keeper.

not that we need reminding .....but Liverpool more than relied on theirs.

Its going to be such am important addition.

Bang on. Defence is the key to this season and the Premier League generally: when its so hard to score goals, preventing conceding against some of the best attackers in the country is so important to ensure you at least get a result. 1-0's and draws over a season count. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Wouldn't be suprised if we looked at Neil Etheridge (Cardiff's keeper)

Deano signed him for Walsall as a free agent after his release by Charlton. and Neil Cutler was the goalkeeping coach there at Walsall and improved Etheridge.

I wanted us to take a punt on Etheridge before he moved to Cardiff from Walsall as a free agent. He is a good keeper.

Great shout!  I had Allison & Etheridge in my fantasy team this year and was always getting frustrated in the games where I started Allison because Etheridge would end up destroying his point total most of the time. Haha. West Ham are trying to sign him right now and we may be trying to compete!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I’d like us to bring in someone like Sangaré to be our defensive mid. There’s been lots of talk about him being the next Kante or whatever, he plays for Toulouse, and he’s only 21 so plenty of time to develop. Transfermarkt website values him at £12m, but I have a feeling he would be a lot more than that. I think worth more though as it’s a position we badly need to get sorted.

Ibrahim Sangaré

I believe Fulham thought the same when they purchased Zambo for 30 mil. 

I think a joined up transfer approach, strongly influenced by Smith and Jesus, is of great importance rather than individuals taken in isolation. Transfers taken in relation to the whole. Of course this kind of defeats the spirit of such a thread. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN
Added

2 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I believe Fulham thought the same when they purchased Zambo for 30 mil. 

Hard to judge unless you saw him play though. For example when we got relegated Gueye was our best player and got a decent move. 

30 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I am not suggesting we only sign Cahill and nobody else. For me its a given we get Mings, thats one down... He needs a permanent partner and I don't think Hause (utility/squad) or Chester (crocked) will be that person so we need another first choice centre back. Would love it to be Axel but this is very unlikely, and at a time when we need 10-14 signings necessity suggests that some are loans (with a view to purchase) or out of contract players. Cahill is this and ticks a lot of boxes. Signing this many players is going need compromises and creativity and this deal offers a lot of upside and could bolster the spine of the team.

I’d be happy to see a centre half pairing of Cahill and Mings.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hard to judge unless you saw him play though. For example when we got relegated Gueye was our best player and got a decent move. 

Which kind of alludes to my edited wider point.

To clarify, theres real danger in trumpeting or dismissing a transfer in isolation. For instance, Jota already being regarded as a useless ‘championship’ transfer without understanding it’s part of a wider set of transfers.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
Added.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd love us to go in for Andreas Svok Olsen, looks a real player, sadly looks like 'bigger' clubs are interested.

*Skov Olsen 😉

But great shout! I think he would be a great option for us. I know, first hand, that a few Premiership clubs rate him highly. Not the big clubs, but teams from the bottom half. Also a few teams in Germany who are very keen on him. There was a rumor a few months ago that Barcelona wanted him for their reserve squad. Complete BS. 

There's another Skov in Denmark (not related btw.) that could be interesting. Robert Skov from FC Copenhagen. He finished the season as the topscorer in the league as a winger. 32 goals and 10 assists in 48 games across all competitions. He is one of the best set-piece players in all of Europe. It's ridiculous how good his left foot is.

Robert Skov is a few years older than Andreas Skov Olsen (23 and 19), and he will be expensive. 20M-ish. Andreas Skov Olsen will, probably, be half that.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Which kind of alludes to my edited wider point.

To clarify, theres real danger in trumpeting or dismissing a transfer in isolation. For instance, Jota already being regarded as a useless ‘championship’ transfer without understanding it’s part of a wider set of transfers.

Do you mean there’s danger in me suggesting we could sign someone like a player I’d heard was good? I think you’re over estimating my say in matters, rarely does Suso or Dean Smith listen to what I have to say... I’m a nobody! So how’s is it dangerous for me to ‘trumpet’ a player I think is good?

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

This. I just feel that if he wasn't a Villa fan there wouldn't be such a clamour for us to bring him in. Don't get me wrong, ability-wise he's decent, but not £15m decent.

It would be good for the environment to have players who are proud to wear the shirt. That said, he hardly set the Premier league alight with Huddersfield and ended up having to drop back to the championship. Maybe he is another Dwight Gayle - too good for the championship but not good enough for the Premier league? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

Do you mean there’s danger in me suggesting we could sign someone like a player I’d heard was good? I think you’re over estimating my say in matters, rarely does Suso or Dean Smith listen to what I have to say... I’m a nobody! So how’s is it dangerous for me to ‘trumpet’ a player I think is good?

Yeah of course this is a speculation thread. Not really aimed at you. I meant in general, if we start dismissing or hailing transfers in isolation it can lead to a dangerous mindset for the fan base. I just think it helps to consider things as a whole. For instance Jota is a useless championship signing, what’s Smith doing. Or equally, a signing like Sangare is absolute quality, why are we not in the top 10, what’s Smith doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd love us to go in for Andreas Svok Olsen, looks a real player, sadly looks like 'bigger' clubs are interested.

good, good player he has impressed me this season for FC Nordsjælland

Wouldn't mind seeing him at Villa