Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Mings has "gone viral" down here, apparently.

In his recent upload of his workout, there were 2 NRL jersey's on the wall (for Manly -  traditionally the club everyone loves to hate - and one for Newcastle)....

... but here is what the mainstream media had to say down here (emphasis mine):

Fans lose it at Aussie detail in Premier League star’s viral video

Social media users have been left in disbelief over one detail in the background of a football star’s video that whipped around social media.

English Premier League star Tyrone Mings has gone viral after posting an update in his recovery from a horror ACL injury.

The West Ham United centre back suffered the nightmare knee injury in August when the club fell to Newcastle.

.... I am so ashamed to be an Aussie :blush:

They got it right by the end of the article, mind. Full article here (not worth reading): https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/fans-lose-it-at-aussie-detail-in-premier-league-stars-viral-video/news-story/8bd2c441a2a4e393c00742990fe6a194

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

In his recent upload of his workout, there were 2 NRL jersey's on the wall (for Manly -  traditionally the club everyone loves to hate - and one for Newcastle)....

They got it right by the end of the article, mind. Full article here (not worth reading): https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/fans-lose-it-at-aussie-detail-in-premier-league-stars-viral-video/news-story/8bd2c441a2a4e393c00742990fe6a194

West ham ffs.

Where in Sydney are ya, are there ever any meet ups? If we get conference final for example.

Am working in sydney until July.

2 hours ago, spiezels said:

West ham ffs.

Where in Sydney are ya, are there ever any meet ups? If we get conference final for example.

Am working in sydney until July.

A bit off topic but:

I'm unaware of any meetups, sadly. Perhaps any other posters from Sydney can help there.

One thing I do know: Getting to a pub to watch Villa in the conference final will be difficult. Firstly, it's waaaay low on the radar here as far as sport goes. You'd more likely see a repeat of an NRL game from the previous weekend. Secondly, if it's played at a similar time as our games against Ajax - that's 7am down here. Most places aren't even open yet.

8 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Bunch of kit stealing London divs

Edited by VillaJ100
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m mindful that I don’t want to be appear reactionary after a game. Get on any defender’s back, as I rather like them (particularly Konsa and Torres).

And normally I’m not overly bothered about clean sheets. More than happy to win 4-3 every week.

But blimey, all season I have felt like we would have more clean sheets if Ty was around. Whether we’d have as many points, I’m less sure of. But I really feel like we would have conceded fewer, in spite of how good Torres and Konsa are (it’s not helping when Konsa has to play right back, but even when in the centre, I feel like we’re more porous than we were).

We managed 9 cleans sheets in Unai’s 25 games last season, conceding 26.

We’re on 7 cleans after 32 games this season, conceding 49.

Couldn't agree more. Ty is not only better at defending individually than Torres, but he is also good organiser and leader on the pitch. Very different profile to other defenders we have.

I think we would have had an impact, but I think he too would have been exposed more by our playing style this year, and the other injuries.

We are playing high risk football, like many of the best teams do, and we are 4th in the league. Last season we were more solid but more cautious. There may be a middle ground.

I do think the front 6 we played today would have left Mings exposed as well, especially if he was playing in the Carlos position and Konsa played how he did today. I suppose the question is whether Mings would have been in Konsa’s ear and making sure he wasn’t getting caught out…

• Like 1

Watching all 3 of those goals back from yesterday I cant help but feel ty would have been there for all of them.

Shows just what we have missed all season. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

I think we would have had an impact, but I think he too would have been exposed more by our playing style this year, and the other injuries.

We are playing high risk football, like many of the best teams do, and we are 4th in the league. Last season we were more solid but more cautious. There may be a middle ground.

I do think the front 6 we played today would have left Mings exposed as well, especially if he was playing in the Carlos position and Konsa played how he did today. I suppose the question is whether Mings would have been in Konsa’s ear and making sure he wasn’t getting caught out…

I feel like we are playing in a reasonably similar manner to last season. I certainly recall plenty of critiques of high lines and playing out from the back.

To kinda further hammer home the stats, of the 26 goals we conceded with Unai in charge last season, 11 were in that 3 game run of Arsenal, Leicester and Citeh. So I think it’s fair to say they were an outlier. 

If we take them out, it’s 15 goals conceded in 22 games. No two ways about it, that’s really good.

If we do likewise and take out the three worst games this season so far, it would be 36 goals conceded in 29 games. That’s not terrible, but obviously nowhere near as good.

I don’t really know what the answer is, because my gut feeling tells me that Konsa and Torres are the starting duo going forward. But I think we’re missing something that Mings can offer.

Edit - also, I may be remembering incorrectly but I think we were fourth best in the league since Emery took over to the end of the season.

Edit - no, sorry 5th in the “since Emery took over” table.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

Ty is built for the Prem.  He's big, powerful, quick and dominating. 

He might not be as technically gifted as Pau, but he has the right mentality and physicality to deal with what we couldn't deal with yesterday.

He might not be the same Ty as the one who got injured at Newcastle anymore (who knows!) but I can't wait to have him back.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, meregreen said:

We miss his presence. We look vulnerable to any high balls into the area. But we go with what we have.

Not just his presence, his leadership too

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Watching all 3 of those goals back from yesterday I cant help but feel ty would have been there for all of them.

Shows just what we have missed all season. 

One thing he would have done better is organise and lead.

In that crazy spell yesterday nobody took charge.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

One thing he would have done better is organise and lead.

In that crazy spell yesterday nobody took charge.

He definitely was a leader and a “talker”, and I definitely want him back and playing. But he too has lapses of concentration in him, and other than the run under Unai at the end of last season, he’s been part of the team over the last few years that has also been vulnerable to in game spells of collapse, or moments at the beginning of first halves and second halves where we give away goals.

I certainly don’t think we would be any worse with Mings in the team, just not sure it would solve these current issues. It feels more like a structural thing.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2024 at 16:36, ozvillafan said:

Careful mate, Manly member here.

• Haha 2

Â