Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

in some systems, yes, but in ours, imo no, our CDM is as much responsible for controlling tempo, ball retention, incicive passing etc, as it is for being a "CDM".

We need a Kamara, Luiz etc type player in the CDM role to help control and build from the back.

I thought that was a CDM...just to pick out good ones...that's what Rodri, Casemiro Rice, and Guimaraes do.

I am being devils advocate here....so how many players, do we need to control games, and play out from the back?

My concern is, we have to have some, even one, who's dedication it is to stop the opposition....someone to make them uncomfortable.

I am hoping we are not saying, we have to compromise the defensive qualities, to favour the attacking qualities....that could render a soft underbelly....That balance has to be found.

Is it possible, we could have a player in the side, who is very good, without the ball?.....is that liable to spook anyone?

If we have any notion of big things, we must have a team balanced, to have respect for the opposition, and be capable, of controlling a game, when we haven't got the ball, or at least make provision for that moment, when we are not in possession.

Edited by TRO

Add another corner conceeded goal that never would have happened with Mings in. Have to be pushing at least 10 now.

Keep working big guy. You will absolutely have a part to play in our champions league campaign next season. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Could Konsa play as the cover CDM, like Stones does for City?

I think Konsa, has the versatility, to maybe do that......I think he is better on the floor, than in the air.

Interesting, never actually thought of that but you could be onto something there! Think he would be pretty good! 

6 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Interesting, never actually thought of that but you could be onto something there! Think he would be pretty good! 

well not many get past him on the floor...he has composure, can be fiesty.....and has a pass in him.

could be coached, to play there.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Assuming Mings comes back strong and is able to play at the same level again - or our new level (champions league?) - and there is no reason to think he won’t be able to as he has recovered from this injury before, I think he will play and still be pretty much first choice.

In the US tour we saw Mings at LCB and Torres at LB. I think more than anything that was a recognition from Emery that Konsa and Mings as a partnership had been so good, that he could not split them up, and he wanted to find a way to get Torres into the team.

Fast forward 6 months and we have seen quite a lot of changes to the back 4 on an almost weekly basis. Torres has to play LCB when fit as he brings so much to the team from there, and Emery has shown he sees some benefit in playing Konsa at RB in some games, especially the ones where we need to be more solid.

I think we will see Konsa at RB, Mings at RCB, Torres at LCB and Moreno at LB. 
That leaves Cash, Carlos and Digne as established back ups. If we assume Digne moves on, and so does Lenglet and Chambers, I could see us signing a young centre half to just give extra cover, but otherwise I don’t think we will need to do too much. We have already signed a couple of young defenders in January who will most likely get some minutes next season, in the same way that Morgan Rogers is being introduced now.

I’m sure Mings will be able to adapt to play RCB, he’s able to use his right foot more than Lenglet!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

In the US tour we saw Mings at LCB and Torres at LB. I think more than anything that was a recognition from Emery that Konsa and Mings as a partnership had been so good, that he could not split them up, and he wanted to find a way to get Torres into the team.

It was because of the partnership, but also we were looking to sell Digne and Moreno was injured so it was to test Pau at Lb. But he is no LB and will rightly keep the lcb position even when Mings back 

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I live in Suffolk surrounded by Ipswich fans, many of them are convinced that Mings will one day return back to play for them

Think he was at an Ipswich game a few weeks back

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

scary how much muscle he's lost on his right leg

I was going to say the same thing. I think there’s no way at we see Ty or Emi on a pitch this season. Without the rebuilding of the muscle lost they will both be so likely to get further injuries. 

Feel sorry for Ty as he’d likely have gone to the Euros this summer! 

9 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Really does look crazy. Wonder if it has to do with the severity of his injury. Buendia doesn’t have near the same muscle atrophy from his training pictures. 

10 hours ago, delboy54 said:

I live in Suffolk surrounded by Ipswich fans, many of them are convinced that Mings will one day return back to play for them

He supports them doesn't he? I'm sure he's been seen at their games as a fan.

2 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Really does look crazy. Wonder if it has to do with the severity of his injury. Buendia doesn’t have near the same muscle atrophy from his training pictures. 

Probably a few reasons why it looks different but he still would’ve had a significant amount of atrophy. My buddy, close to Buendia in height, tore his ACL twice in his left knee and each time within a few weeks it was very noticeable how much muscle loss had occurred. It’s astonishing how fast it happens.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

On 19/03/2024 at 07:32, tomav84 said:

I was in hospital a month ago and had 2 operations. Didnt really get out of bed for 10 days. Lost so much muscle and strength in my legs it was insane. 

On 19/03/2024 at 03:32, tomav84 said:

Fortunately, if you've had it before, it comes back much quicker than building it in the first place.

It does sound like he's behind Buendia in the process.

Â