Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

18 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It was naughty by him. I got sucked in at first but then from a second look could see what he had done.  

Perhaps it was his use of the word "training", he did say "initial return to training", which in itself is near enough correct. We hadn't seen pictures of him back at BH before (or at least I hadn't), so what he said was probably fair enough, as was his hope that he would "be ready and 100% fit as soon as possible. I think we were all desperate for some good news and jumped at this as a result. As it is, it seems having Tyrone back in full training by May, is as good as we can hope for. 

The question that tickles me is, How does Ty get back in.

I think its folly, for some to question, how does he get back in....of course Mings gets back in, and he strengthens the side, when he does....assuming his injury does not restrict him.

Its like Spurs losing Micky van der ven, or Newkie losing Botman.

We have seen against United and Forest, how Mings's  aerial prowess, is vastly missed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I think its folly, for some to question, how does he get back in....of course Mings gets back in, and he strengthens the side, when he does....assuming his injury does not restrict him.

We have seen against United and Forest, how Mings's  aerial prowess, is vastly missed.

I think he will see a lot of game time as torres unfortunately seems quite susceptible to injury

Can't see him first choice anymore.

Yeah. Now that I have seen a lot of Pau I can see why we saw a bit of him at left back in pre season with Mings and Konsa as centre backs. Pau is that good you just want him on the pitch to create.

Likewise, Konsa is that good you want him on the pitch whether as right back tucked in or as centre back.

Mings was our aerial boss and our warrior. Yes, we have missed that.

I reckon this would have been our usual defensive formation if we had avoided injuries. Occasionally we would have gone three at the back also.

Konsa-----Mings------Pau-----Moreno 

Edit, in short, we would have been quite fluid in terms of personnel at the back depending on game plan/opponent.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I think he will see a lot of game time as torres unfortunately seems quite susceptible to injury

Can't see him first choice anymore.

I can, because he is one of the few dedicated defenders we have, on the books.

Pau, is not a physical defender, and he is having to do a bit, hence he is getting injured more......Mings will play alongside Pau....both have different/ contrasting  prime attributes.

I wonder if Ezra can be groomed for CDM to compete with Kamara.....in a similar way Stones has been groomed at City.

Edited by TRO

I can see Mings still playing a very big role for us moving forward into next season. 

Konsa, Mings and Pau playing regularly together, with one of a right or a left sided fullback / wingback.

Konsa especially could play on the right side of defence moving up into a CDM role alongside Luiz when we’re on top in games. Very much like Stones does at City.  Same could be said for Pau, playing more on the left side and doing the same.

We certainly miss Mings’ physicality, which is clean sheets have been at a premium this season. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think our best four defenders are Konsa, Pau, Mings and Digne.  But could that work as a Back 4?  I mean if we assume that Bailey is providing width down our right (rather than our RB) then Konsa playing their and drifting into a coverinng Back 3 when we have the ball makes sense.  In that scenario then I think the pace of Mings (assuming he doesn't lose too much) and his better aerial power mean he'd be the natural choice for the middle of that Back 3.  The question is whether, when we are in the 4 defenders formation, he'd naturally drift to his left (which is something he does now - he's often in that space between a LCB and a LB to cover Moreno / Digne) leaving too Konsa trying to cover too much space / too many players.

Given the Lenglet is probably going to go back at the end of his loan and that Carlos has been (in my opinion) quite disappointing defensively - do we need to sign a RCB?  If so then can we find someone who is good enough with the ball at his feet, fast enough to deal with our higher line and disciplined enough to play in our defensive line but also good enough in the air to help us defend set pieces better?  And then how do you fit the new RCB, Pau and Mings into the team / squad.  Would Mings be happy as Pau's "cover"?  Can we risk Mings being first choice and surviving a full and busy season after such a bad injury?

1 minute ago, allani said:

I think our best four defenders are Konsa, Pau, Mings and Digne.  But could that work as a Back 4?  I mean if we assume that Bailey is providing width down our right (rather than our RB) then Konsa playing their and drifting into a coverinng Back 3 when we have the ball makes sense.  In that scenario then I think the pace of Mings (assuming he doesn't lose too much) and his better aerial power mean he'd be the natural choice for the middle of that Back 3.  The question is whether, when we are in the 4 defenders formation, he'd naturally drift to his left (which is something he does now - he's often in that space between a LCB and a LB to cover Moreno / Digne) leaving too Konsa trying to cover too much space / too many players.

Given the Lenglet is probably going to go back at the end of his loan and that Carlos has been (in my opinion) quite disappointing defensively - do we need to sign a RCB?  If so then can we find someone who is good enough with the ball at his feet, fast enough to deal with our higher line and disciplined enough to play in our defensive line but also good enough in the air to help us defend set pieces better?  And then how do you fit the new RCB, Pau and Mings into the team / squad.  Would Mings be happy as Pau's "cover"?  Can we risk Mings being first choice and surviving a full and busy season after such a bad injury?

PS - I suspect my choice of Digne might raise some eyebrows.  Just to re-iterate that I said defenders and I think Digne is a better defender than Moreno.  That doesn't necessarily mean that I would start Digne at LB over Moreno.  Attacking wise they offer different threats - some teams are more suited to playing Moreno, others Digne.  I actually think that they are pretty close to each other (probably the closest competition for one place in our team) - there's no real drop-off in quality when one comes on for the other.  Usually it just changes the type of threat going forwards or the level of defensive discipline.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Easy he will play alongside Torres. Konsa out to the right, that Forest goal yesterday where Cash is just stood there shows while going forward he is OK but defensively he is 💩  Konsa, while not in his ideal position, is more favorable in that position and Unai knows that.

We miss Mings presence on set peice (defensively) 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Easy he will play alongside Torres. Konsa out to the right, that Forest goal yesterday where Cash is just stood there shows while going forward he is OK but defensively he is 💩  Konsa, while not in his ideal position, is more favorable in that position and Unai knows that.

Id say we will have a better option on the right next season.

Konsa being right sided will keep his place in the centre.

Best chance for ty being first choice is either him or torres drifting left and making a hybrid back 3, with moreno dropping to the bench.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, allani said:

PS - I suspect my choice of Digne might raise some eyebrows.  Just to re-iterate that I said defenders and I think Digne is a better defender than Moreno.  That doesn't necessarily mean that I would start Digne at LB over Moreno.  Attacking wise they offer different threats - some teams are more suited to playing Moreno, others Digne.  I actually think that they are pretty close to each other (probably the closest competition for one place in our team) - there's no real drop-off in quality when one comes on for the other.  Usually it just changes the type of threat going forwards or the level of defensive discipline.

Digne has been brilliant this season very consistent. Just lacking some goals really which which he's capable of. Moreno better in this respect. Great to have both player doing well though.

• Like 1

Ty being back would be hugely positive. Genuine competition to Konsa and Pau and in the physical/set piece heavy games you’d play Konsa at RB and Pau and Ty together. He’d play plenty of games even allowing for a managed return. If we can sell Carlos and add a young right footed potential Pau we’d be in dreamland. 

Tyrone organises our defence so well and wins more than his fair share of balls in the air. We have missed him defending corners, unsettling opposition defenders at our own corners and his timely defensive blocks. We have also missed his booming voice when we have been under the cosh in games. UE will have a place in mind for him.   

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, allani said:

its horses for courses....UE knows who to play and when.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Could Konsa play as the cover CDM, like Stones does for City?

I think Konsa, has the versatility, to maybe do that......I think he is better on the floor, than in the air.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Could Konsa play as the cover CDM, like Stones does for City?

I think Konsa, has the versatility, to maybe do that......I think he is better on the floor, than in the air.

in some systems, yes, but in ours, imo no, our CDM is as much responsible for controlling tempo, ball retention, incicive passing etc, as it is for being a "CDM".

We need a Kamara, Luiz etc type player in the CDM role to help control and build from the back.

42 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Spotted in the crowd at Portman Road yesterday for the battering of small heath :cheers:

Another DVB trolling the noses. 

• Haha 1

Â