Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

I’m not saying they’re the same people, but it was interesting how many people were saying we shouldn’t be playing Mings as he makes too many mistakes etc., but then after the captaincy debacle have blamed Gerrard for ousting him and upsetting him… just saying it’s interesting 🧐 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, birdistheword said:

Is there any actual evidence to suggest Mings has fallen out with Gerrard?

Mings was replaced as captain as Gerrard wanted his own stamp on things (albeit he selected a horrible replacement). Most Villa fans didn’t even want Mings in the 11 at time.

Maybe he has just been injured?

The "look me in the eye" thing was a bizarre statement from the manager. I'd have accepted Gerrard's decision more if he'd still praised Mings when moving the captaincy (and also picked him at Bournemouth) but not the way it all played out especially given the rancid performance.

All on the manager really .We are miles off being as strong as last season and that was only 14th place strong.

• Like 1

I can't imagine Gerrard likes players that have a brain and are confident and articulate, because they won't just be dominated. 

I would put decent money on his actions with Mings being an attempt to remove him. Which has backfired spectacularly because he's the best defender at the club.

• Like 1

Just speculation - but it appears that Stevie isn't exactly the best man manager either. Even the most draconian of managers still end up being good man managers and have their teams fighting like hell for them. Your Pep's, Arteta's, Conte's, Fergurson's, Mourinho's. I'm sure they did not let a lot slide and bombed out obvious problems - but are you really telling me that Mings/Sanson/Guilbert/Buendia/Bailey/Luiz/El Ghazi/Traore/etc etc etc are all the problems? They may have their strengths/weaknesses but can be useful in a squad.

So while Deano might have let the players get away with too much, you can't expect to just have a long list of fines and fix all the discipline issues with the team. There is a balance of being professional, but also still man managing your team.

And the Mings captaincy stripping as well as the comments and digs afterwards are just shocking man management. Especially naming Diego Carlos, who just moved here and doesn't speak the language as well, as part of the leadership team over Mings? Just wow.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Just speculation - but it appears that Stevie isn't exactly the best man manager either. Even the most draconian of managers still end up being good man managers and have their teams fighting like hell for them. Your Pep's, Arteta's, Conte's, Fergurson's, Mourinho's.

A very basic unwritten rule seems to be "don't throw your players under the bus". Gerrard does it every week.

Mourinho probably the exception but I imagine he tells his players to ignore everything he ever says to the press

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Mings is a future manager. 

If he wants it. Strikes me as someone that could have a fantastic ongoing career away from football and feel fulfilled in that too. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Mings is a future manager. 

He deserves better! I believe affecting social change and advocacy are where his strengths lie.

Edited by ccfcman

Thought he did reasonably well given he was covering for Ezri so often. I wouldn't question his application or professionalism for a second, especially in the face of such treatment by his bluffer of a manager.

Â