Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

• 2 weeks later...

Random question… in the near future, do we need McGinn now that we have Ramsey regularly starting for us, showing huge talent and potential?

What we lack most of all, in midfield, is physicality, composure, defensive nous or stability. If we could become a strong and controlled team in possession and protect our defence better, it would help us so much… and allow other players to thrive and focus on their strengths…

Personally, I’ve lost a lot of patience and tolerance with John as he is so inconsistent, wayward on the ball and in possession (sloppy, poor passes, hoofball).

I acknowledge the attributes he had/has,  mainly energy, drive and tenacity. The ability to nick the ball off the opposition. Those are his strengths imo. But he is not great technically, not exactly graceful or easy on the eye in possession. Just not that skilled or proficient in my eyes and can appear clumsy at times.

But on his day, he can be such an asset. He has put some excellent performances in for us at times, particularly against the “top” sides in the past. Those days seem few and far between however…

JJ gives us more and for the long term. I feel it would be wise to accept big money for John and build around JJ and help him by having stronger midfielders behind/around him… he can focus on his strength which is attacking rather than defending. Although he does like to get stuck in and that endears him even more to us fans…

But also, we could see a better McGinn next season (how often have we said that though?).

I’m so impressed by Ramsey, he’s already got so much to his game and seeing him drive forward with the ball has been one of the rare delights of this season for me.

We have to upgrade where we can, but also try and raise extra funds by selling some players who are maybe not essential, if we are looking to genuinely progress and compete higher up that table. There will be casualties and we can boost that spend if we can make some significant sales in terms of value…

Anyhow, I don’t think SG will want to lose McGinn and is a big fan. Not sure if that impression has changed over time but hasn’t been any indication of that either. But if he’s sticking around, we have to bring his game on and maybe by strengthening in the right manner, players such as John can focus on their strengths rather than trying to fulfil other roles that they’re not suited to. Otherwise. I’d rather him accept a seat on the bench and not always start, if we aren’t selling him.

If it’s ever between JJ and John for a single CM spot, I’d pick Ramsey for the vast majority of the time… two solid, imposing midfielders with class, quality and composure on the ball alongside him would transform us…

It’s been the highlight of the season, to see his emergence and talent. Very few could have seen this coming or have known that he would have demonstrated his talents as well as he has done… hope he goes from strength to strength and remains with us for a long time…

Well done kid 👏 

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3

I sort of agree. In general, you get nowhere in this league selling your better players, particularly to opponents.

But if we raised £70-80m odd selling Luiz and McGinn? Using that to put more technical ability, physicality and a bit of nastiness in our midfield around Ramsey? I could understand the thought process.

I love John and I really think Luiz can turn out to be a special player, SJM in particular I think is so important to the dressing room too. But I could see why we'd consider it.

Bissouma and Kondogbia for example - with Ramsey -, we become much better at winning the ball than with Luiz at 6, we are better at retaining it than with McGinns sloppy passing. And Ramsey can be the main driving force linking midfield and attack, rather than all of Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey wanting to  play that role as it's the one they're all best at.

I do still think we'd rue losing Luiz eventually but if he won't sign, he has to be sold this summer. And I think Gerrard loves McGinn too much to allow him to be sold - and I don't want to see him leave either.

We do also need to remember Ramsey will burn out and will be inconsistent for a couple years. Keeping one (say McGinn) but making them a rotational player would be ideal.

Ramsey    Bissouma

Kondogbia

With McGinn, Nakamba, Sanson and hopefully Chuk in rotation would be great.

With Tim pushing for Nakambas place, and AJ eventually wanting McGinn or Sansons, we'd have a decent midfield for a few years, of course changes would happen, but there would be a plan at least.

Edited by HalfTimePost

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

I sort of agree. In general, you get nowhere in this league selling your better players, particularly to opponents.

But if we raised £70-80m odd selling Luiz and McGinn? Using that to put more technical ability, physicality and a bit of nastiness in our midfield around Ramsey? I could understand the thought process.

I love John and I really think Luiz can turn out to be a special player, SJM in particular I think is so important to the dressing room too. But I could see why we'd consider it.

Bissouma and Kondogbia for example - with Ramsey -, we become much better at winning the ball than with Luiz at 6, we are better at retaining it than with McGinns sloppy passing. And Ramsey can be the main driving force linking midfield and attack, rather than all of Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey wanting to  play that role as it's the one they're all best at.

I do still think we'd rue losing Luiz eventually but if he won't sign, he has to be sold this summer. And I think Gerrard loves McGinn too much to allow him to be sold - and I don't want to see him leave either.

We do also need to remember Ramsey will burn out and will be inconsistent for a couple years. Keeping one (say McGinn) but making them a rotational player would be ideal.

Ramsey    Bissouma

Kondogbia

With McGinn, Nakamba, Sanson and hopefully Chuk in rotation would be great.

With Tim pushing for Nakambas place, and AJ eventually wanting McGinn or Sansons, we'd have a decent midfield for a few years, of course changes would happen, but there would be a plan at least.

I largely agree and am not insistent on selling him but it could be one of the few large fees we could bring in and we could hopefully put that to good use. I acknowledge the attributes he brings on and off the field but it’s just not enough for me and we don’t see anywhere near his best often enough on the pitch - whether or not that’s down to extenuating circumstances.

Sometimes I think we can be too attached and sentimental towards players and that can actually hold us back at times. Players shouldn’t coast on personality, they have to perform at a high level consistently for a team that is genuinely ambitious…

Not at all averse to him sticking around but I don’t want to see underperforming players constantly guaranteed a place in the side…

I’d rather hang on to Luiz and play him in his preferred position. But if he’s not signing a new deal he needs to go.

Technically, I believe both Luiz and Sanson are superior to McGinn when in possession of the football. They may lack his personality, energy, desire etc. but they are better than him at other things imo.

And Sanson hasn’t been given any kind of run or much chance to show what he can do, and Luiz is rarely ever played in his preferred position. 

Unfortunately, it looks like they will both be gone in the next window but I can see that they could offer us a lot more and we will see them thrive elsewhere and possibly regret moving them on.

And, as you’ve mentioned, we have some talented youngsters coming through so we will have options (including the transfer activity to take place) so players such as Ramsey should not burn out… although Carney may be moving on…

Being honest, I find us having and developing a younger team with longevity and with talents such as Ramsey more appealing and exciting rather than a team full of older players who are maybe past their best or have hit their ceilings. Although the right mix is needed of course. I guess I just mean I would always prioritise JJ over John if that was a choice that had to be made.

But I don’t want us to be paying a team full of 29/30 year olds massive wages and be burdened with what comes with that… when there are younger players who can perform as well if not better and will keep improving. A few older heads around them is fine but too many and it’s a problem. We need to learn our lessons from the past…

Side note, I really want us to make Buendia a mainstay of the side and utilise all of his creative talent. Can be an absolute star for us if we use him right and put some strength and quality around him.

Ramsey, Buendia and Coutinho linking up is a sight to behold and I want to see much more of it…

Regardless,  if midfield is solidified and upgraded, I would expect our attackers to thrive and our defenders to perform better too with that added protection. Midfield is the absolute priority and I’d actually like to see how the rest of the team performs in that case rather than dismantling other areas such as the defence…

Anyway, it doesn’t matter does it? 😆 We don’t know or control anything, our opinions are worthless. 😆

It seems that SG is a huge fan of McGinn and he won’t be going anywhere. In that case, we need to ensure we get the best out of him. But I think we can get so much more out of Ramsey and he is a big part of our future…

Again, I only want players in the side that can keep producing positive performances. Shouldn’t really be any/many automatic picks who rarely perform near their best…

Absolutely deserved. I hope he is being paid as if we had recruited a premier league starter because that's what he is. Brilliant player and comes across as a really grounded bloke. Delighted.

Edit: wow didnt realise he was also a lifelong villa fan. Local lad. You love to see it. Nice!

edit edit: "I share the ambition of the owners, my plan is to get Villa playing European football" top man.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

As with our other good players and those showing ability above their salary, we've secured him for a long term contract. Sadly, the others that got rewarded seem to have gone backwards in their ability since, so hopefully this doesn't happen to JJ.

Deserved the salary hike, but really needs a rest. Squad rotation is not a strong point of ours.

Â