Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I disagree

Yep Maddison is several levels above McGinn. McGinn is absolutely not a stand out at this level and has in fact struggled at this level more than he has shone. Maddison is one of the best in the league in his position. I don't think I've ever seen such a blindspot for a player than McGinn. Sure he's a good player for us, but in the scheme of things he's nothing more than a decent centre midfielder.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yep Maddison is several levels above McGinn. McGinn is absolutely not a stand out at this level and has in fact struggled at this level more than he has shone. Maddison is one of the best in the league in his position. I don't think I've ever seen such a blindspot for a player than McGinn. Sure he's a good player for us, but in the scheme of things he's nothing more than a decent centre midfielder.

I rate McGinn higher than you do.

But Maddison is genuinely one of the best players in the league (as is Grealish) and McGinn just isn't at that level

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

The club have made his job hard yet again. Hopefully if we stay up we make a few more sensible decisions when it comes to transfers. 

Pretty much my feeling.

Short of something amazing happening it has been a 6/10 window IMO, and that maybe being a bit generous. He can only work with what he's got and money hasn't been spent that well in the summer and certainly this window hasn't delivered the players we needed to really push us forward.

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He can only work with what he's got and money hasn't been spent that well in the summer and certainly this window hasn't delivered the players we needed to really push us forward

Our aim this season is survival and recoup more next season with intelligent additions while getting rid of the old bloat. League cup final is a bonus

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Maddison is leagues ahead of McGinn

Leagues? Not for me.

Looking forward to a rested McGinn getting back and figuring the Premier League out. Hopefully we're still in touch when he does.

Miracle if Smith keeps us up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

I'm still on Smiths side (apart from the emotional in game comments 😂😂) but the bit in bold really gets to me, what has Smith being a Villa fan got to do with it. I'm a Villa fan does that mean that I'd be a good Villa manager No of course it doesn't I'd be a disaster. 

It's nice he is a Villa fan but it's a complete irrelevance what team a player or manager supports. 

Because he knows what it means to truly love and support the club... This would be the one job he always dreamed of having (level pegging with England maybe)... You would hope he wouldnt even contemplate gambling our long term future for his own benefit...

As much as I enjoyed the (relative) success of the MON days... He spunked money up the wall which we couldnt afford in the hopes of boosting his ego and making himself look successful...

I would be incredibly diappointed if Deano did that... Simply because he knows what it is to be a Villa fan...

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Because he knows what it means to truly love and support the club... This would be the one job he always dreamed of having (level pegging with England maybe)... You would hope he wouldnt even contemplate gambling our long term future for his own benefit...

As much as I enjoyed the (relative) success of the MON days... He spunked money up the wall which we couldnt afford in the hopes of boosting his ego and making himself look successful...

I would be incredibly diappointed if Deano did that... Simply because he knows what it is to be a Villa fan...

I mean, I don't think him being a Villa fan would necessarily stop him from spunking money up the wall. You could just as easily argue that him being a Villa fan could lead to that because he truly wants the best for the club and will want to bring us up as high as possibl. Of course I don't think Smith would do that, but that's more due to his character than him being a Villa fan compared to MON. At any rate, I do think the success of the manager and the success of the club they managd are very much linked anyway so I think separating the success of a manager at a club and the club doesn't really make sense.

Also, I don't think he's even in control of transfers and finacnes that muuch really. At least, that's what I've been reading a lot on this forum, especially in response to people who criticize Smith's transfers.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Leagues? Not for me.

Looking forward to a rested McGinn getting back and figuring the Premier League out. Hopefully we're still in touch when he does.

Miracle if Smith keeps us up.

I guess it depends on what your definition of leagues is.

Maddison is a far far better player than John McGinn.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, blandy said:

It's not irrelevant, completely. I agree people should get the job or not based on ability and so on - because they're damned good at what they do. And they are judged on results. That's all as it should be.

But, in my view, as opposed to some managers who might be, perhaps inclined to do one at the first opportunity, or who might lack a degree of commitment to a club they have no affinity for, we just know with a genuine supporter of the club as manager, particularly one who is a complete good guy to boot, that because the job means more to him he will absolutely do his utmost all the time. Of course not being a supporter, many managers do that too. But in terms of patience with the manager, in terms of cutting him a bit of slack in tough times, in terms of being able to "support" the manager and have understanding I think it does help that he's one of us. 

Spot on. Dean is in the incredibly rare position, as a manager, where in difficult times the fans would likely be prepared to give him more patience and backing than the board would. 

Not sure he or the coaching staff really have a clue tbfh. It is all individual brilliance and hoping the keeper has a worldie. So naive from set pieces so naive in midfield getting caught ahead of the ball so naive on the break.

Leicester should have pumped as by 5 over the 2 legs if we are honest.

We are a God awful side. God awful.

• Like 2

Â