Dean Smith

Demitri_C

25 minutes ago, jim said:

In the league?  As I was talking about staying up. 

Ok let’s forget the rest of the season, give up and prepare for the championship.  

It’s still a game, these coming up are still games.  We have players that have more experience at this level now, that had none before.  They’ve played together now for half a season.  

Yes today was incredibly poor but we proved against Leicester we can give teams a game.  

Let’s be positive rather than half giving up now.

• Thanks 1

Dean is still learning for sure, but as an observation, as opposed to criticism, i think he is still showing signs of his Brentford days as influence.....it happens managers cling to what they think they have been successful with.

I think he needs to change his ways in this division, even if its slightly....a bit more like wilder imo.

Brentford as eye candy as they are would not survive in this league.

47 minutes ago, jim said:

Christ, it’s depressing. Said it over Christmas not getting results from those around us will bite us in the arse. To be told there’s loads of games left. Well now there isn’t,  and looking at that run I can see 9 points at best.

We are down. 

Tbh we've done pretty well with those around us. Bournemouth aside, incapability to pull a shock result out us probably our undoing

I think we probably will get relegated. I also think that if we had a more experienced better manager than Dean then we would have stayed up with a bit to spare. To be fair though Dean has earned a full season to prove himself.

If we do go down we will do so with a much better squad than last time. A few high profile outs aside, we should be in a good place to win automatic promotion.

Here’s the question though? Do we stick or twist with Dean? My thoughts are that regardless of what happens he needs to be replaced. There’s no shame in that. He has tried his best but he lacks the hard edge to be a top manager.

Clearly it is going to be a massive challenge to retain our PL status. However, although our remaining games are tough, history has shown us that unlikely runs at the end of the season are very possible. We all remember Watford’s seemingly impossible escape the year prior to their league win. I also recall Sunderland having a fantastic end to a season to stay up. I am sure there are more examples and within all of these ‘runs’ seemingly unexpected points were gained against much higher placed teams. 

As the season reaches its climax many mid/upper table teams literally have nothing to play for and naturally the players’ intensity will wane especially with Euro 2020 coming up and the potential for injury to prevent them participating. I remember when we were an upper table team and skyways seemed to drop points to relegation threatened teams - it happens. 

A very poor performance today but inconsistency and some lack of quality and experience is exactly what we are and why we are down there. We are by no means adrift and the positive aspect of so many teams beating so many teams is that few teams are able to pull away from the pack. 

Its gonna be tough but it is definitely not over yet and let’s keep the faith in the run in as history does have a reputation for repeating itself. UTV. 

• Like 2

I see this thread is full of massive overreactions again, Smith is shit, hasn’t got a clue blah blah blah. 

Yes we are massively inconsistent and yes it is frustrating, yes we expect better than today. But let’s not forget we had a tough cup game on Tuesday whereas Bournemouth didn’t, I’m not using as that as an excuse by the way, as I still expect better. Look at the league. Everyone from tenth down is inconsistent. We’ve still got a very strong chance of staying up (we’re not in the relegation zone), other teams can look a lot worse than us. 
In smith we trust 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dean is still learning for sure, but as an observation, as opposed to criticism, i think he is still showing signs of his Brentford days as influence.....it happens managers cling to what they think they have been successful with.

I think he needs to change his ways in this division, even if its slightly....a bit more like wilder imo.

Brentford as eye candy as they are would not survive in this league.

What do you think Wilder is doing differently this season to that of last season? 

Dean really annoys me when he repeatedly accuses the players of not working hard enough to win possession. Doesn't he realise what an idiot this makes him look? Can you imagine someone like Sir Alex saying that. No chance. They had to much fear/ respect for him to do that time after time. Hard work should be a 'given' from a professional footballer, if not there is something seriously wrong at this club....

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Thought Smith made a big mistake today with his final substitution. After Davis came on we were well on top with Grealish floating behind a front 2 and after we scored I fancied we'd at least create a couple more good chances to grab another. When Nakamba went off though by bringing Trez on it meant Grealish went into a midfield two and he ended up playing much too deep and his influence on the game was pretty much done and we created next to nothing.

Aside from the above it was the fact that too many players were poor today and didn't show the levels they did against Leicester and Watford that cost us. That is the problem with having so many players with ability and plenty of potential but lacking experience is that they are also inconstant. The likes of Guilbert, Hause, Konsa, Targett, Luiz, Nakamba, El Ghazi can be very good one game and poor the next.

As pissed of as I am with both the result and performance today, and Smiths part in that, it still needs to be put in perspective. It is another game gone and now 25 games in we find ourselves out of the relegation places. If that is the case after 38 games it will have been a very successful season. Having also got to a cup final is just a huge bonus.

Completely agree. Trez for Nakamba was the wrong move, but otherwise I have no major issues with the game management from Smith. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Thought Smith made a big mistake today with his final substitution. After Davis came on we were well on top with Grealish floating behind a front 2 and after we scored I fancied we'd at least create a couple more good chances to grab another. When Nakamba went off though by bringing Trez on it meant Grealish went into a midfield two and he ended up playing much too deep and his influence on the game was pretty much done and we created next to nothing.

Aside from the above it was the fact that too many players were poor today and didn't show the levels they did against Leicester and Watford that cost us. That is the problem with having so many players with ability and plenty of potential but lacking experience is that they are also inconstant. The likes of Guilbert, Hause, Konsa, Targett, Luiz, Nakamba, El Ghazi can be very good one game and poor the next.

As pissed of as I am with both the result and performance today, and Smiths part in that, it still needs to be put in perspective. It is another game gone and now 25 games in we find ourselves out of the relegation places. If that is the case after 38 games it will have been a very successful season. Having also got to a cup final is just a huge bonus.

100% agree mate. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I think we probably will get relegated. I also think that if we had a more experienced better manager than Dean then we would have stayed up with a bit to spare. To be fair though Dean has earned a full season to prove himself.

If we do go down we will do so with a much better squad than last time. A few high profile outs aside, we should be in a good place to win automatic promotion.

Here’s the question though? Do we stick or twist with Dean? My thoughts are that regardless of what happens he needs to be replaced. There’s no shame in that. He has tried his best but he lacks the hard edge to be a top manager.

Are you kidding?  Absolutely not to getting rid of Smith....that’s a bizarre comment.

Do people realise we aren’t in the bottom three?

Who knows what happens in the future but we aren’t in the bottom three with two thirds of the season gone...that’s great news.  We all said that avoiding relegation was our target, we are currently on target for that because we aren’t in the bottom three.

Yes we have hard games coming up, we had a poor day together but it’s still in our hands.  Some people have given up already when we are not even in the bottom three.  

Heads up, bad day at the office.....plenty of time left!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

What do you think Wilder is doing differently this season to that of last season? 

Not much.....He has adopted a style, similar to our own Ron Saunders in as much as 110% work rate is key to his mantra.....they always have 11 players, totally at it, and play as team....they have cohesion and can all find each other at will....they are tight and galvanised....they have round pegs in round holes to aid their effectiveness, they are able to resist being bullied physically and mix it....they don't get physically distracted.

sure they have been together for some time now, but to their credit was doing this in Division one....some could argue they have no right to play like that, having come through the divisions with arguably, journeymen....they play as a team, a unit and their individual play is intense to add to that unification.

its only recently, they are spending money.....

He has been remarkable in his efforts.imo.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Do people realise we aren’t in the bottom three?

Who knows what happens in the future but we aren’t in the bottom three with two thirds of the season gone...that’s great news.  We all said that avoiding relegation was our target, we are currently on target for that because we aren’t in the bottom three.

Yes we have hard games coming up, we had a poor day together but it’s still in our hands.  Some people have given up already when we are not even in the bottom three.  

Heads up, bad day at the office.....plenty of time left!

We need to win 2 out of the next three before a really tough run.

if we want 40 points that is 15 points in 13 games. 

we need to chalk up some meaningful points this month or forget it. Game over man, game over.

we can just light a camp fire and sing songs. 

28 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree with this , as good as the subs where Tuesday in changing the game in a positive way today the last sub was a game changer in totally the other way.To start with Nakamba was still winning balls in MF and moving it on he got in position to shoot (poorly) but he was there at least and Grealish was forward enough to cause issues.Taking him off and moving Jack back killed the momentum.Despite Mings and Hause being awful with the ball all game we kept them both on in some home one of their high floated balls would achieve something ..

I would of taken off Hause for Conner in hope Jack would of made him some space to shoot or he would of been on to take freekicks 

• Like 2

Â