Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I don’t hold with much of the criticism, but he is Head Coach, so I’d venture 2 coaching queries.

Why do we so often find ourselves using Hause, comfortably the worst passer in the team, as our ball out from the back ?

Why, when we’ve bought a guy who is good in the air, have we so far not crossed a single ball to him in 1 1/2 games ?

I can put bad performances - which this was, overall - down to the trials and tribulations of football life, but things like this puzzle me a great deal.

Look at Brentford. A lot has been said about him being a small cog in a big machine, and it's hard to argue. He's not done a terrible job here. Promotion was unexpected and to an extent he's been a victim of his own success, but Brentford have gone from strength to strength since he left.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

not a well coached or motivated team. Always look so slow out there. Not sure how we were so competitive in the first 10 or so matches.

I disagree. I think Smith is good at the training pitch but tactically he is severely lacking and it's costly at this level.

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

We were outstanding Tuesday night. We're such an inconsistent team. 

I've backed Smith time and time again but our away form is a joke. 

The result Tuesday was good i agree but it could if were honest been 3-0 after 15 mins.We rode our luck and got a good result, but we only really papered over the cracks. Today once again following a good result we crash down to earth! Inconsistent or are the players good enough for the system Smith wants?

Don’t think this team looks like a Smith team, as team normally play like their manager character ... City play like Pep/ spurs turning into Mourinho etc.. Smith always value & stress teamwork , be a better team mate blah blah , but I don’t see us playing as a team at all ..look at Bournemouth after the game the whole team huddle together in  solidarity . 
We have no players do off ball running to draw away defenders or create space for teammates to.. all I see is A individual/ disjointed team playing individual games hoping to impress to earn bigger move / personal glory /more money for themselves. 

It will be so much joy to see a team that value giving a assist , more than scoring goal. Unless this mentality change we will Continue to struggle & I don’t see Smith is able to bring about this change . 

7 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I don’t hold with much of the criticism, but he is Head Coach, so I’d venture 2 coaching queries.

Why do we so often find ourselves using Hause, comfortably the worst passer in the team, as our ball out from the back ?

Why, when we’ve bought a guy who is good in the air, have we so far not crossed a single ball to him in 1 1/2 games ?

I can put bad performances - which this was, overall - down to the trials and tribulations of football life, but things like this puzzle me a great deal.

Hause's ability on the ball is exactly the reason Smith has kept him out of the team for most of the season. But we were getting dicked on set pieces, and introducing him has improved that a lot (yes today was poor, but on balance he has improved us a lot on this).

So Hause is in the team for sensible reasons, and the only position he can play is LCB.

Two ideas why the ball might keep going his way:

1. Opposition know he will play there, and know he is wasteful in possession, so they try to funnel the ball to him in the press.
  2. Targett and Grealish linking up down the left is our most dangerous attacking threat. So naturally we tend to shift the ball left, and that keeps bringing Hause into play.

Either way, it's a tricky puzzle for Smith. No straightforward solution.

On the Samatta question, as I mentioned in his thread, I think the lack of crosses coming in from the left is a tactical thing. Smith wants Targett linking up with Jack around the edge of the box, rather than pinging in early crosses.

The lack of good crosses coming in from the right is just very poor execution by Guilbert. Might be time to consider Elmo or Trez at RWB in the "easier" games. Guilbert is great when he has to do a lot of defending, but when we're on the front foot he's quite wasteful in possession and a bit short on ideas.

I don't really chalk this result up to Smith doing a great deal wrong, but clearly it's a bad result from a very winnable fixture.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Nakamba sub was the mistake as Jack dropped deeper and couldn't influence the attack as much. Dean'll learn from it, I'm sure. 

I was a bit surprised he didn't take one of the CBs off when he brought Davis on, since Bournemouth were playing 4-4-1. El Ghazi was having a poor game, but he has that ability to pull something special out of the bag.

I would have gone something like:

Reina

Guilbert  Engels Mings  Targett

El Ghazi  Nakamba Luiz  Grealish

Davis Samatta

Would have looked more of a 2-4-4 than a 4-4-2.

5 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Wow, you've actually changed your tune.

Hah. No, because unlike you I don't have a tune. When it's good I say so. When it's bad I say so. Whem it's an overreaction likewise. You'll find discussions rather more rewarding when you don't keep a view irrespective of what's presented you. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Â