Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, jim said:

I wish he would learn! Losing points to teams around is going to send us down as we get zip from the better teams.

as it stands we are going to need points from the so called  "better teams"  we need some surprise results 

25 points from 25 games  13 games to go - so if we carry averaging a point a game, (38) it will not   be enough . Its going to be tight !!!!!!

35 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Look at Brentford. A lot has been said about him being a small cog in a big machine, and it's hard to argue. He's not done a terrible job here. Promotion was unexpected and to an extent he's been a victim of his own success, but Brentford have gone from strength to strength since he left.

Yes we have by spending more in pre season on new players than in the whole time Dean was in charge and for the first time in 5 seasons not selling our best players in the January window.Thomas Frank is an excellent coach and has the edge over Dean Imho.

6 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

as it stands we are going to need points from the so called  "better teams"  we need some surprise results 

25 points from 25 games  13 games to go - so if we carry averaging a point a game, (38) it will not   be enough . Its going to be tight !!!!!!

Logically yes, but the problem is we have picked those points up as we have played most of the lower half twice already.

Our run in involves a fair amount of the top or upper teams.

Which is why this game was so bloody important......

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Logically yes, but the problem is we have picked those points up as we have played most of the lower half twice already.

Our run in involves a fair amount of the top or upper teams.

Which is why this game was so bloody important......

Yep, imagine we will be back in the bottom 3 in a fortnight as I don’t see us getting anything from Spurs. 

Them we have Southampton, Leicester away and Chelsea at home. I can see us getting 1 point max from that lot. Getting something today was vital. 

24 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

To put Grealish deep was a horrendous decision. If Trez was to come on it had to be for Guilbert who had an absolute mare. Literally a 2/10 performance and he stays on for the full 90.

Was that deliberate? I thought Grealish took it on himself to drop deeper to get the ball as our centre backs were just aimlessly knocking it long 

1 minute ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Was that deliberate? I thought Grealish took it on himself to drop deeper to get the ball as our centre backs were just aimlessly knocking it long 

Nakamba went off so we only had Dougie in CM. Trez came on, gave Grealish a message and then he went deeper.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jim said:

Yep, imagine we will be back in the bottom 3 in a fortnight as I don’t see us getting anything from Spurs. 

Them we have Southampton, Leicester away and Chelsea at home. I can see us getting 1 point max from that lot. Getting something today was vital. 

I agree something today was vital but Southampton were awful 6 weeks ago, we’ve just got a draw from Leicester and then a win.  I wouldn’t put it past this team to lose poorly to Bournemouth then beat Spurs.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

To put Grealish deep was a horrendous decision. If Trez was to come on it had to be for Guilbert who had an absolute mare. Literally a 2/10 performance and he stays on for the full 90.

Did he put Grealish deep or did Grealish drop deeper looking for the ball of his own volition?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree something today was vital but Southampton were awful 6 weeks ago, we’ve just got a draw from Leicester and then a win.  I wouldn’t put it past this team to lose poorly to Bournemouth then beat Spurs.

Given we haven’t got anything from the better sides all season. I’d say there’s not a cat in hells chance  of that happening. 

10 minutes ago, jim said:

yup, our run in is:

Spurs, S'Hampton, Sheff Utd, Leicester, Chelsea, Newcastle, Wolves, Liverpool, Man Utd, C.Palace, Everton, Arsenal, W.Ham. (Bold = top 7ish, underlined = top half, italic = lost previous match)

Even being optimistic, how many points from this run in?.......

6-9 points maybe? (so finishing the season on 31-34 points?)

we need a small miracle to get 38 points i think.

2 minutes ago, jim said:

Given we haven’t got anything from the better sides all season. I’d say there’s not a cat in hells chance  of that happening. 

What happened early this week against Leicester 🤔

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Cup games are completely different. In the league how many points have we picked up against the top 10, it can't be many. 

Edit: 7 points, 3 against Newcastle (10th) 3 against Everton (9th) and 1 against Man utd (6th)

Edited by holteend1982

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

In the league?  As I was talking about staying up. 

2 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Cup games are completely different. In the league how many points have we picked up against the top 10, it can't be many. 

One?

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

yup, our run in is:

Spurs, S'Hampton, Sheff Utd, Leicester, Chelsea, Newcastle, Wolves, Liverpool, Man Utd, C.Palace, Everton, Arsenal, W.Ham. (Bold = top 7ish, underlined = top half, italic = lost previous match)

Even being optimistic, how many points from this run in?.......

6-9 points maybe? (so finishing the season on 31-34 points?)

we need a small miracle to get 38 points i think.

Christ, it’s depressing. Said it over Christmas not getting results from those around us will bite us in the arse. To be told there’s loads of games left. Well now there isn’t,  and looking at that run I can see 9 points at best.

We are down. 

• Haha 1

On 27/01/2020 at 16:17, villalad21 said:

I really hope this 5 at the back thing is only temporary. 

What 3 centre backs is it takes away one of the forward players, whether it's a midfielder or attacker. And basically what this is is damage limitation tactics with 3 at the back.

Let's call a spade a spade here. We're going 5 at the back because we don't wanna get embarrassed.

Should be 3-5-2

Â