Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We should be doing better with the squad we got.

No team in the bottom half of table got anywhere close to a quality player like Jack. And let's be honest, most of us would probably not take a single Sheff Utd player in our starting XI

Not really. We have the 18th highest wage bill in the league, and in professional sports success is closely correlated with how big our wage bill is, so if anything, we're overachieveing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

No team in the bottom half of table got anywhere close to a quality player like Jack.

Zaha and Richarlison are pretty close, surely, and both their teams are in the bottom half?

Barcelona have just had a bid of £85m rejected for Richarlison (which gives an idea of what Grealish might be worth).

DS has his mistakes, but who doesn't? 

Pep is mistaking, everyone is doing mistakes. DS is learning though. He's improving. 

You can't consider us to Wolves or Sheff Utd, as those two had the same system since league 1. Add to that the fact that we had less time to build a new PL squad. 

I think we have a good and solid squad to build on. 

Heaton, Targett, Mings, Konsa, Guilbert, McGinn, Grealish

All of those I won't seeing them as a starters next season. I also think that Luiz has the potential to be there. Nakamba isn't bad. Won't mind Engels and Hause around the squad. El Ghazi and Trez could be kept as a squad players. Still to see Samatta.

I think we have a good squad really. If we can add a beast in the midfield, two wingers (Benrahma, Bowen levels). A striker depending on how can he improve us and depending on what Samatta does). A backup FB. Another CB as it seems we might build our formation on 3 at the back.

11 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It's called Aston Villa Football Club. Not Dean Smith Football Club. I support the club, not one man.

Me not believing in Smith does not make me any less of a Villa fan.

So where do you think we should be in the table?

On 30/01/2020 at 03:18, A'Villan said:

I think McGinn is as good as Maddison in a few areas. The traits Maddison has that McGinn lacks is concentration and efficiency, through balls and set pieces.

I would argue while Maddison has a better touch than McGinn, both can dribble by 3 or 4 defenders, both can ping from outside the box, both draw in a lot of fouls.

Maddison is always going to get the greater recognition because he is so influential in a side sitting 3rd, and arguably overachieving by being so.

Maddison is leagues ahead of McGinn

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Not really. We have the 18th highest wage bill in the league, and in professional sports success is closely correlated with how big our wage bill is, so if anything, we're overachieveing.

I ran the stats for that just to check for myself, its not that closely correlated tbh(although I did it with points total and and total wage bill).

Transfer expenditure had a similar levek of correlation too, of which we had a lot of

And no one outside the club  actually knows how high our wage bill actually is. I don't think the records show the wages of a lot of the players who have just come in which we had a lot of.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

We had the 9th highest wage bill in the league when we went down. We also had an unsustainable wage bill under MON which was was one of the biggest reasons for the Austerity that followed.  We all know what a mess the situation become under Xia. 

The club is being very prudent with its wage structure. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Maddison is leagues ahead of McGinn

Whilst I agree Maddison is a good player,this is not an accurate assessment.

In fact it is unfair on McGinn.

You could say the Maddison is leagues ahead of a Walsall midfielder and I would agree....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Whilst I agree Maddison is a good player,this is not an accurate assessment.

In fact it is unfair on McGinn.

You could say the Maddison is leagues ahead of a Walsall midfielder and I would agree....

I disagree

5 hours ago, lexicon said:

I think one thing that people may have forgotten is that this season has also been a totally new experience and learning curve for him. I think he's learning a lot. 

And unlike a lot of managers he seems to have the humility to learn and improve. He doesn’t go around lecturing others on how to play football.

His only fixed belief seems to be the “be a good team mate” philosophy. He’ll go a long way with that. Everything else evolves.

21 hours ago, Vincenzo said:

Guy is one of us....hasn’t let us down yet and deserves our full support imo...even when we are struggling 

UTV

I'm still on Smiths side (apart from the emotional in game comments 😂😂) but the bit in bold really gets to me, what has Smith being a Villa fan got to do with it. I'm a Villa fan does that mean that I'd be a good Villa manager No of course it doesn't I'd be a disaster. 

It's nice he is a Villa fan but it's a complete irrelevance what team a player or manager supports. 

10 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

I'm still on Smiths side (apart from the emotional in game comments 😂😂) but the bit in bold really gets to me, what has Smith being a Villa fan got to do with it. I'm a Villa fan does that mean that I'd be a good Villa manager No of course it doesn't I'd be a disaster. 

It's nice he is a Villa fan but it's a complete irrelevance what team a player or manager supports. 

As far as I’m aware no one has said he should get given longer just because he’s a Villa fan? It’s just an ‘also’.

8 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

It's not irrelevant, completely. I agree people should get the job or not based on ability and so on - because they're damned good at what they do. And they are judged on results. That's all as it should be.

But, in my view, as opposed to some managers who might be, perhaps inclined to do one at the first opportunity, or who might lack a degree of commitment to a club they have no affinity for, we just know with a genuine supporter of the club as manager, particularly one who is a complete good guy to boot, that because the job means more to him he will absolutely do his utmost all the time. Of course not being a supporter, many managers do that too. But in terms of patience with the manager, in terms of cutting him a bit of slack in tough times, in terms of being able to "support" the manager and have understanding I think it does help that he's one of us. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Has Dean done a pre Bournemouth press conference today? Just wondering if he was put on the spot re transfers?

It was yesterday. He said we might buy, might sell and might do nothing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

It’s not just a job when you’re a fan is it...he is emotionally attached as we are...that’s the point

3 hours ago, Vincenzo said:

It’s not just a job when you’re a fan is it...he is emotionally attached as we are...that’s the point

The thing is that could also be a problem as well being emotionally attached can blind someone's judgement. 

It's one of the many faults Lerner had imo he came in became a fan and got carried away which clouded his judgment until it was too late and just got worse and worse trying to recover it.

I'm not saying Smith will let emotions cloud his judgement he hasn't so far. But I'm just saying having a fan in charge isn't always a good thing. One of the reasons I'm happy with Sawiris and Edens is they haven't come out and claimed to be fans like Lerner and Xia did. So I have faith in that when tough decisions need to be made they will. 

Edited by Stuartc445

Â