Dean Smith

Demitri_C

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Wonder if McGinn could ever reach those heights. (Maddison like)

No he won't.

Maddison isn't really box-to-box either, but I agree he's completely different to Grealish.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He'd cost us almost as much as Grealish would cost whoever he ends up at.

Maddison is a superb player. I said earlier in the season he was better than Grealish. I think Grealish has overtaken him now but there's not much in it.

They're both ridiculously good players who the England team should be built around for the next 5 years.

It won't though. it'll probably be built around Jordan Henderson and Ross Barkley

Well I think Jordan Henderson is a pretty useful player. He’s the captain of the worlds current best side.

43 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Different types of players IMO.

Maddison more of an all out, dynamic box to box player.

Jack more of a Maestro with panache, vision and flair.

That being said, imagine having BOTH in your team?

Question is if a swap deal came up for Mcginn to Leicester and Maddison to Villa would you take it?

3 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Question is if a swap deal came up for Mcginn to Leicester and Maddison to Villa would you take it?

Eh, yes.

We are pretty stacked in midfield. Losing McGinn and getting Maddison would improve us massively.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Eh, yes.

We are pretty stacked in midfield. Losing McGinn and getting Maddison would improve us massively.

Jack, Maddy and Vardy would be a dream combo.

People forget that Deano hasn't managed at this level before, he's still learning and in my opinion he's learning quickly, he's miles ahead of the targets the club have set him and anyone thinking staying up this year would be easier then its turning out to be is a tad muddled. Oh, and that wasn't a dream last night...………..

WE ARE GOING TO WEMBLEY!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, screwdriver said:

I demanded top 10 and silverwear this seaon.  Smith is doing adequate so far.

fair **** there has been improvement..... start of seaon subs cost us.... last few games subs have made big impacts. DHLelmo last night...delivered.

So, I'm guessing next season, Smith must deliver the Premier League/FA Cup double for all things to be rosy in the screwdriver household? 

I just wonder what Smith will have to deliver in the final year of his contract! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Smith must deliver the Premier League/FA Cup double for all things to be rosy in the screwdriver household?

If he does well and the board are as rich as they say, they should give him an open cheque book to sign some true quality to take the heat off Grealish and Mings, then we can have a dip. 200m should do.

at the same time as keeping the season ticket prices frozen😎

2 hours ago, screwdriver said:

I demanded top 10 and silverwear this seaon.  Smith is doing adequate so far.

fair **** there has been improvement..... start of seaon subs cost us.... last few games subs have made big impacts. DHLelmo last night...delivered.

crazy cuckoo GIF

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

People forget that Deano hasn't managed at this level before, he's still learning and in my opinion he's learning quickly, he's miles ahead of the targets the club have set him and anyone thinking staying up this year would be easier then its turning out to be is a tad muddled. Oh, and that wasn't a dream last night...………..

WE ARE GOING TO WEMBLEY!

Where are we going? 😋

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Well I think Jordan Henderson is a pretty useful player. He’s the captain of the worlds current best side.

He is but that wasn't really the point.

He's 30. 

We should be trying to build a team around two of the best players in the premier league who just so happen to be English

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Different types of players IMO.

Maddison more of an all out, dynamic box to box player.

Jack more of a Maestro with panache, vision and flair.

That being said, imagine having BOTH in your team?

I think McGinn is as good as Maddison in a few areas. The traits Maddison has that McGinn lacks is concentration and efficiency, through balls and set pieces.

I would argue while Maddison has a better touch than McGinn, both can dribble by 3 or 4 defenders, both can ping from outside the box, both draw in a lot of fouls.

Maddison is always going to get the greater recognition because he is so influential in a side sitting 3rd, and arguably overachieving by being so.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I think McGinn is as good as Maddison in a few areas. The traits Maddison has that McGinn lacks is concentration and efficiency, through balls and set pieces.

I would argue while Maddison has a better touch than McGinn, both can dribble by 3 or 4 defenders, both can ping from outside the box, both draw in a lot of fouls.

Maddison is always going to get the greater recognition because he is so influential in a side sitting 3rd, and arguably overachieving by being so.

Efficiency is the result that comes from having positive traits, it isn’t a trait in itself.

Would also love to know what your basis is for saying McGinn has inferior concentration.

1 hour ago, The Hawk said:

Efficiency is the result that comes from having positive traits, it isn’t a trait in itself.

Would also love to know what your basis is for saying McGinn has inferior concentration.

It very much can be a trait. Being efficient with the ball in the way Maddison is means that for every possession the likelihood of a successful outcome is high. Whether that be a well weighted pass to a teammate, a combination of touches which play the ball into space and can be run onto without interference from opposition, manipulating the ball with close control to outmaneuver opposition players in tight spaces, the technique to place a shot on target etc. Whatever it may be, the player reliably and consistently delivers.

All I'm basing the concentration comment on is my observations, Maddison seems to be more efficient and make better decisions than McGinn, resulting in his play eventuating into scenarios that are beneficial for his team at a higher rate. he has the athleticism and poise to slow the game down at critical junctures and make a decision and play that's optimal.

It's not a slight on McGinn, it's credit to Maddison.

Edited by A'Villan

On 29/01/2020 at 10:58, DCJonah said:

It's just crazy to me though. 

He took over us when we were 15th in the championship. 

15 months later -

1) Club record breaking winning streak

2) playoff final win

3) 16th in the prem

4) league cup final

And still you're yet to be convinced. Please tell me what more he could have done these last 15 months to convince you he's the right man. 

I think DC got a point here.

Â