Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Just imagine being Smith tomorrow, walking out that tunnel at Villa Park to what is going to be an absolute belting atmosphere and 40k people singing to welcome you...

Gulp. 

I’m hoping the occasion and atmosphere will really boost the players and get us three points. Swansea are a decent team. Not sure if they still have an injury crisis. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, striker said:

I thought Draper was a super player until injury. Ferguson tried to sign him but Draper chose Villa instead. Remember Fergie saying Draper was the difference when Villa beat Manchester 3-1.

Draper free of injury could have been as good as Gaza and I can just imagine the freedom he would have gotten under Villa’s new manager Smith.

Those type of players aren’t coming through anymore. Tony Currie was another that comes to mind plus Hoddle and Brooking.

You have clearly seen a lot of football - but with the very greatest of respect and as much as I admire Draper, I don't believe he belonged in this company if I am honest.

I wouldn't even say that he comes anywhere close to Sid - both him and Nosey were good but not great players in my humble opinion 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

You have clearly seen a lot of football - but with the very greatest of respect and as much as I admire Draper, I don't believe he belonged in this company if I am honest.

I wouldn't even say that he comes anywhere close to Sid - both him and Nosey were good but not great players in my humble opinion 

Draper couldn't tie Sid's boot laces . I've yet to see a better passer than Sid in a Villa shirt. How many assists did he provide for Platt ? Remember Inter Milan, that great night when Birch had Mattahis in his pocket all night. That pass by Cowans for the second goal, he could have done it with his eyes closed. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Draper couldn't tie Sid's boot laces . I've yet to see a better passer than Sid in a Villa shirt. How many assists did he provide for Platt ? Remember Inter Milan, that great night when Birch had Mattahis in his pocket all night. That pass by Cowans for the second goal, he could have done it with his eyes closed. 

Remember the Platt & Sid combined show that tore Everton apart on ITV back in 1989. I was watching aged 9 or 10 jumping around living room

Villa 6 - 2 Everton

• Like 3

Looking forward to a great atmosphere for a Smith tomorrow........(on topic ?).....

........Something like the atmosphere in the clip above - which was great to see again, brilliant stuff......particularly enjoyable to see the Trinity ‘seats’ giving it the full monty ! I doubt we’ll see excitement expressed like that again, and great to see Sid and Platt in full flow. We’d not had a great few years, then we took off. ( hopefully sneaked that in linked to topic lol)

For me,  we are at that stage again, but with the dynamism and ambition at the top that was absent then.

Fwiw i dont share the concerns about Smith needing time.......for a long long time it’s looked to me ( and of course many others) like we have only needed two things....a far more positive approach to the game, and some coaching so players both move into space and, crucially, know without looking where people will be.

Whilst the latter will not be immediate, the former will, and will make a significant impact starting tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To me there must be a significant improvement under smith....or else what was the point bringing him in.....

I think the play offs or getting pretty close to them would be an acceptable return this season...

If we finish 4th / 5th bottom area ..that would be an unaccetable return.

There are holes at cb and gk....those holes dont look easily pluggable....but lets be clear here ds has been brought in to fix things that sb couldn't.

12 hours ago, Enda said:

This is simply class. 

The determination, the iron will, the aggression after going behind by a wonder-goal, the self-confidence and belief in what we were doing.... amazing, just amazing.

I hope we get to experience something like this again. 

I’m just really excited about today’s game. I haven’t felt that in a while: Watching a Villa game because I want to, not because I feel I have to. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hippo said:

To me there must be a significant improvement under smith....or else what was the point bringing him in.....

I think the play offs or getting pretty close to them would be an acceptable return this season...

If we finish 4th / 5th bottom area ..that would be an unaccetable return.

There are holes at cb and gk....those holes dont look easily pluggable....but lets be clear here ds has been brought in to fix things that sb couldn't 

Nice try but we all know that's code for "there or thereabouts"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

The determination, the iron will, the aggression after going behind by a wonder-goal, the self-confidence and belief in what we were doing.... amazing, just amazing.

I hope we get to experience something like this again. 

Why’s the stadium so empty? 

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Why’s the stadium so empty? 

Lower North was the away end back then, and Wimbledon regularly used to bring about 75 fans.

This was a great game for me after years of them being our bogey side.

10 hours ago, hippo said:

think the play offs or getting pretty close to them would be an acceptable return this season...

I think he should be given the same time that Bruce was given in his first season before being truly judged. I would love to see massive improvement this season but I’m expecting him to need 2 windows and a pre season.  Next season we should be ripping the league up. 

Â