Dean Smith

Demitri_C

38 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Those old enough to remember Brian Little's appointment might recall how we struggled a little when he first arrived, we draw a fair few games if I recall correctly. There was though no pressure from the fans because it was so evident what he was trying to do with the team, you could see the work from the training ground, you could see a philosophy,

I recall a 7-1 win and a 4-4 draw with Little in charge that season, we started the next season with a 3-1 against Man utd. Happy times

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I was there, it was great.

Just googled the team from that game

------------------------Bosnich

------------Small, McGrath, Teale

Charles-----------------------------------Staunton

-----------Taylor, Townsend, Johnson

--------------------Saunders, Yorke

I may have the formation wrong as it's before I would have taken much notice of tactics and that. I don't really remember Bryan Small apart from his name.
But what a team :D 

Edited by Stevo985

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Just googled the team from that game

------------------------Bosnich

------------Small, McGrath, Teale

Charles-----------------------------------Staunton

-----------Taylor, Townsend, Johnson

--------------------Saunders, Yorke

I may have the formation wrong as it's before I would have taken much notice of tactics and that. I don't really remember Bryan Small apart from his name.
But what a team :D 

If my memory is right... it’s a long time ago... Stan played as the left of three CB’s and Small played LB.

Small was a limited player but rapid, the poor guy used to always get thrown in when we played Man Utd to deal with Giggs.

Er... Dean Smith might even have been at the game... and just like that we are back on topic... :)

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I was there, it was great.

I remember being 15 and doing my paper round while the match was going on with my customers filling me in on the score as I was riding round. The Leicester 4-4 was fustrating as we were 4-1 up in that match , as I recall the draw knocked us for 6 as we were on quite a good run at the time and we just faded away but avoided relegation.

7 minutes ago, TOTTI-THE-GOD said:

I remember being 15 and doing my paper round while the match was going on with my customers filling me in on the score as I was riding round. The Leicester 4-4 was fustrating as we were 4-1 up in that match , as I recall the draw knocked us for 6 as we were on quite a good run at the time and we just faded away but avoided relegation.

We bought Draper on the back of that game didn’t we? It was sickening, bloody O’Neill.

Er... Dean Smith..... something something...

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We bought Draper on the back of that game didn’t we? It was sickening, bloody O’Neill.

Er... Dean Smith..... something something...

I think it was just before the MON days at Leicester and Mark Mcghee was in charge, but anyway yes Dean Smith rocks ?

I thought Draper was a super player until injury. Ferguson tried to sign him but Draper chose Villa instead. Remember Fergie saying Draper was the difference when Villa beat Manchester 3-1.

Draper free of injury could have been as good as Gaza and I can just imagine the freedom he would have gotten under Villa’s new manager Smith.

Those type of players aren’t coming through anymore. Tony Currie was another that comes to mind plus Hoddle and Brooking.

Edited by striker

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Feb 1995 we beat Wimbledon 7-1 

I was a wee kid back then, but remember seeing the result on teletext. Seem to remember they had to type the word 'seven' lest folks thought it was a mistake! 

2 minutes ago, Godders said:

I was a wee kid back then, but remember seeing the result on teletext. Seem to remember they had to type the word 'seven' lest folks thought it was a mistake! 

They still do that on Sky. Aston Villa 7 (Seven)

always makes me chuckle. I always imagine someone saying it like "Aston Villa seven.... SEVEN!"

In reality it might be because 7 looks a bit like a 1?

Edited by Stevo985

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think you do the squad a massive disservice. Yes the defence is weak, but going forward we have players who should be terrifying most teams. Look at Albion, they can’t defend either so have gone all out attack. 

With Kodj and Abraham, and Hogan as back up, we have a strike force to rival all others in this league. Then throw in Grealish and Bolasie and we have approx £40m of talent feeding them. Then McGinn and hourihane from midfield add even more goals. We should be aiming for play offs at least.

You talk of 40m worth of talent and we sometimes speak about them like all they need to do is turn up. If our attacking players are that good then it’s time they stepped up and proved it.

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They still do that on Sky. Aston Villa 7 (Seven)

always makes me chuckle. I always imagine someone saying it like "Aston Villa seven.... SEVEN!"

In reality it might be because 7 looks a bit like a 1?

Yep. On the tv vidiprinter/older newspapers. It's hung around even into the 4K era which I like.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

One of the earliest memories I have of watching a league game live (on TV)

Me too, it was the first ever game I watched on Sky at my older brother's mate's flat.  I must have been 10 at the time but can remember it pretty vividly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TOTTI-THE-GOD said:

4-1 up with about ten mins left we let David Lowe tears us apart in that last ten mins

Edited by Villan4Life

3 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

I was in Trinity Road those days. Brilliant match. Wimbledon fans around 200 of them was doing Conga dance when 7-1 down  in Lower North Stand where the opposition used sit those days. 

I was also there. It was a school trip and there were probably about 100+ of us there. A lot of new Villa fans born that day. Not me though I'd been cursed from an early age but that day was certainly one of those rare breaks in the storm. 

Er maybe Dean Smith was there too... 

Â