Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Setting a trap is when multiple players press in a certain way which forces a player or players to play in a certain area. 

Im lost on overload tbh

110% Effort from the great Ron Saunders never did us any harm - bet he didn't set traps - or force an overload - it sounds like a load of wank to me.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

I didn't hear him mention roll our sleeves up or we go again once in the post match presser.

Did he check that they had their boots on? 'cos that's like, important, and stuff.

Edited by TheStagMan

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

This is a very good squad of players, one of the best in the division for me, and under the right coaching team they are capable of being up the top end of the table.

I completely agree.

At minimum, this squad should be in the playoffs at the end of the season. 'Thereabouts' is defeatist and sells short their quality and the legitimate fan expectations.

• Like 2

One thing I was gutted about with Smith was that we still had everyone back for corners. There was a couple times in the second half when we cleared our lines, and as no up there the ball came straight back putting us under pressure again.

• Like 4

So if totally ignoring context as per tradition Dean Smith and his 100% win rate must be our most successful manager ever? :D?

Anyway UTV! Great that we're off to a good start and most of all 3 crucial points.

Edited by sne
  • Haha 2

Don’t think we will have the steel to make automatic promotion, but I’d say we will make the play offs, if smith can improve things. The 3 games in 7 days is testing, and leaves him with not much time to breath, let alone work with the players, but I think next month we shall see the benefits of having him here. 

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I have rarely seen us press a team and force them into mistakes like we did today. We made Swansea look like Aston Villa at times, which is a huge improvement from making every team look like Man City. So excited for the future.

We have one of the best players I’ve seen playing for us regarding pressing high and forcing a mistake, which is John McGin. We weren’t playing on our strength at all before. Remember we still aren’t playing our main attacking weapons on wingers. Which is El Ghazi and Bolasie.

We will be having some tough games, 3 teams which has costed us promotion last season. Norwich, QPR and Bolton. Keep winning and hopefully nice days to come. ??

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Im no expert, but I trust my first impressions, I think we can look forward to the rest of the season and, although 2nd is likely out of reach, we will put in a good challenge, and, I’m sure , certainly finish in the Play Offs.

We’re only two wins (and a draw) behind second, that’s by no means insurmountable. If we were second now, I’d be nervous about anyone within 3-4 wins of us, if we play 2/3 games in a week sometimes. One bad week (injuries, international duties, bans, cards) then that 2 win buffer really slides quickly.

Lots to be positive about :) 

Edited by alreadyexists
Realised 18+6=24

20 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Don’t think we will have the steel to make automatic promotion, but I’d say we will make the play offs, if smith can improve things. The 3 games in 7 days is testing, and leaves him with not much time to breath, let alone work with the players, but I think next month we shall see the benefits of having him here. 

It only depends on us. We’ve made up three points to the league leaders. It was 25 points, and it still is.

Everybody are losing points. We only won a game after the first too (apart from today). Yet we are only 7 points to the league leaders.

I still think the main threat are West Brom, but even then you see them dropping points.

We’re now playing good, if we continue this way and start gaining points we will have a big chance after January. Last season we didnt start playing apart from the beginning of the year, we won 7 on raw and made us a proper team.

We have more wuality than most teams, we just have to concentrate.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

110% Effort from the great Ron Saunders never did us any harm - bet he didn't set traps - or force an overload - it sounds like a load of wank to me.

To reduce everything Saunders knew and thought and brought to bodymoor as "110% effort" is a bit much. I bet you anything you like that while the terminology may have been different he worked his arse off in training working out how best to drill and coach the setting of traps and overloading (fullbacks in particular in his case).

55 minutes ago, sne said:

So if totally ignoring context as per tradition Dean Smith and his 100% win rate must be our most successful manager ever? :D?

Anyway UTV! Great that we're off to a good start and most of all 3 crucial points.

Smith is unbeatable. 

4 minutes ago, mallett said:

An overload is just when you try to create a situation where you have more players in part of the pitch than the opposition. 

It is particularly important to do in the middle of the pitch. Playing a high line at the back helps to contribute to overloading midfield. Ron Saunders team would have done some overloading but not perhaps called it that name. For example in the clips I have seen Tony Morley plays with a lot of pace which immediately pushes the defensive line back making it easier to overload the midfield. Des Bremner would make runs from deep making it possible to have a man over against the defence (an overload). Gary Shaw would drop a little bit to help overload the midfield - (I am happy to be corrected on these points).

The trick is doing it in a way which suits the players you have so that you are not exposed elsewhere on the pitch.

These days people are more into the theory than they used to be back in the day. It’s the reason that 442 is no longer popular as teams altered their formation to overload the two central midfielders.

It is also the reason that fullbacks have become so important as their running enables a team to overload different parts of the pitch.

Interestingly the Brentford fans on some of the fan forums I have read don’t think Dean Smith is that good tactically while still rating him as a manager. But this seemed mainly to be based on his inability to change matches through substitutes etc. However I still think he will be light years ahead of Bruce.

great post, he'll have a different quality of bench here too. brentford have spent a fraction of what we've done, with all respect to how amazingly well they have set themselves up and continue to set the bar in a lot ways, they have nowhere near the clout we have. they won't be getting 42000 at home when they employ a local lad as head coach. so i think his subs might be making more impact for purely financial reasons, or at least they should in terms of quality.

as for the rest, spot on, the idea that Saunders relied on effort is bollocks and part of the kind of "tactics aren't for me" Bruce type of knackers that Saunders was a million miles from.

• Like 1

Â