Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Wow, just wow, how many managers has that taken for one to come along and win his first game, congrats Dean Smith n company. Didn't see the game but sounds like for a first game fans were impressed, dinosaur and goofball out, good attacking, passing and good minded football in..

Glad you fans who went enjoyed it and it's one to remember too isn't it with our new coaching team in place, the day aston villa changed on the field..

Edited by Dave-R

Just got back and I have to say, excellent first result and clear improvements for all to see. First we looked a lot more balanced with players looking comfortable in their roles and having a better understanding of what to do and what was expected of them. The defence was a lot more solid, benefiting from having fullbacks in their best positions and Tuanzebe looked extremely good at centre half, far more comfortable, reading the game well and his distribution looking pretty decent, Chester was expected to play a lot less with the ball than under Bruce and we benefited from it.

We also played a lot further up the pitch, applying more pressure to the opposition and retaining the ball a lot better, hoofing down the pitch rarely. So two great improvements! That said there's clearly a lot to do, despite being higher up the pitch the intensity wasn't quite there, this is clearly a function of fitness levels and this will improve as Smith and co have more time with them. The other area was the lack of good movement, we kept the ball a lot better but we needed Grealish, Bjarnason and McGinn to demand the ball a lot more and do more to always get in space after passing the ball off, our wide players also needed to make better runs more often. I think all this will change as time goes by mind.

Overall, great start and it will only get better.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I didn't hear him mention roll our sleeves up or we go again once in the post match presser.

Didn't have to Dean actually won one.

4 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Yep, total bellend. Can barely string two words together, preferred the player version

Yup to think he was so loved here he never has anything good to say about us

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I didn't hear him mention roll our sleeves up or we go again once in the post match presser.

Don't forget he was a good man manager - well at least a couple tried to spin this yarn,

happy days are here again UTV 

Much improved defensively. still problems in the final 3rd, and DS said as much in his post match interview.

Thought Grealish was poor today didnt look motivated. surprising as he played in his favoured no 10 role.

Apparently first manager since Houllier in 2010 to win his first game in charge.

Was surprised at how different we look already. Pressing higher, playing it out from the back etc. Yes we tired, and obviously a work in progress but this team will get better and better. 

Interesting  to hear Smith say how well the players took in instructions. 

• Like 1

So refreshing to read his post match comments on the OS. Saying stuff like "we set good traps" and "we had some good overloads". I bet Steve Bruce will read those comments and wonder what on earth Dean Smith is talking about. An "overload" to Steve Bruce probably indicates he had a mixed kebab meat with salad and chips the night before when all he intended to have was a mini fish and cone of chips. 

It's also good to see that Deano believes our players are very coachable, which makes you wonder what Bruce and co were actually doing on the training patches at Bodymoor Heath. 

The signs are good for the future. These players have to be better than they showed previously this season. Let's just hope it all clicks into place soon above for us to push up the league and challenge for automatic promotion. Good results at the top for us this weekend so hopefully it will be like that on many other weekends. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, villarocker said:

So refreshing to read his post match comments on the OS. Saying stuff like "we set good traps" and "we had some good overloads". I bet Steve Bruce will read those comments and wonder what on earth Dean Smith is talking about. An "overload" to Steve Bruce probably indicates he had a mixed kebab meat with salad and chips the night before when all he intended to have was a mini fish and cone of chips. 

It's also good to see that Deano believes our players are very coachable, which makes you wonder what Bruce and co were actually doing on the training patches at Bodymoor Heath. 

The signs are good for the future. These players have to be better than they showed previously this season. Let's just hope it all clicks into place soon above for us to push up the league and challenge for automatic promotion. Good results at the top for us this weekend so hopefully it will be like that on many other weekends. 

I will be honest here I don't know what "setting a trap" or an "overload" is......

As much as everyone credits smith for changing them in a couple of days. I’d wager that’s the first time most of them have actually received coaching and tactical instructions before a game in their time at the club. 

Honestly from tid bits I’d heard and my honest impression of Bruce they were sent out with “get in to them”, “play with a bit of zip” “pump it forward” and “keep it tight” ringing in their ears. 

I honestly think when he rocked up and said phases to them he then had to get a white board out and explain. 

Weve been abysmally ran for so long this is massively refreshing. 

• Like 1

I’m very happy with the improvement I saw in defensive organisation and collective pressing. I’obviously thrilled with the three points and delighted we created enough chances to have made it far more comfortable than it was. I’m encouraged by the positive subs and that we kept trying for a second even if our energy levels dropped a bit. I’m almost just as delighted with Dean Smith’s post match interview, listening to him give a very sensible and intelligent tactical analysis of the game. So refreshing.

Lots of work still to be done, but I couldn’t have asked for a more encouraging start. 

• Like 1

Â