Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Its good though to have a couple of days without people mentioning that he only ever finished 9th with Brentford ;) 

A few tough fixtures coming up - its on my clipboard  :) 

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Watching the steel city derby, what a deja vu of our last seasons, Sheff W at home, sitting back protecting the box, playing on the counter and hoofing, hardly created a chance during the whole first half. Bruce shouting and barking in every situation. 

Makes me feel glad and relieved that we have a manager who has a passing and attacking style philosophy.

Gets results though doesn't he, still undefeated there since taking over.

Not sure you/we'd be feeling so glad and relieved if we hadn't finally shown some form and beaten Derby because the previous 2 months or so of football did not leave me feeling glad or relieved.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Hmm, so Draws under Smith are a disaster but draws under Bruce are "grinding out results"

Now I understand. 

Different context entirely but good try. 

Sheff United are flying high and it was a Derby, if that makes any difference. 

Us drawing with Hull or QPR, given the wider circumstances is not particularly creditable, IMO. 

18 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Different context entirely but good try. 

Sheff United are flying high and it was a Derby, if that makes any difference. 

Us drawing with Hull or QPR, given the wider circumstances is not particularly creditable, IMO. 

Hull had won something like 8 in a row when we played them 

• Like 2

Bruce has gone and isn't coming back - dunno why people keep harping on about him - The objective is promotion - not proving that DS is better than Bruce ........(or not...)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

So tired of seeing Steve Bruce's name in these threads tbh. There's a whole thread on him, mercifully in Other Football.

But since we're on the topic, I'm not sure why people keep bringing up his current start with Wednesday as a stick to beat Smith with, when Smith's first 7 games yielded more points, more wins and twice as many goals and included demolitions of Derby and SHA as well as a crazy 5-5 draw with Forest. Give me that any day of the week.

Crazy talk. Grinding things out with no long term plan is clearly the way forward. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Okay cool, glad you're happy with a draw at home to Hull.

I'll remember that for the next similar result.

It was a poor result but if I remember the game it was disastrous defending by Taylor and Hutton for both their goals. 

Im not sure how much Smiths tactics could affect those errors.

I think we look a lot better at the back when those two aren’t in the team. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Not really entirely convinced by this young and "hungry" approach when signing new players.

We did that under Lambert and it failed. I think people need to understand that young players doesn't automatically mean good players.

Do you remember Bennett, Lichaj, Bannan, Weimann, Clark, Baker? Sure they were young, but bang average, some of them even just poor footballers. Westwood, Lowton and Benteke were alright but most of the "young and hungry" players simply weren't good enough.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Do you remember Bennett, Lichaj, Bannan, Weimann, Clark, Baker? Sure they were young, but bang average, some of them even just poor footballers. Westwood, Lowton and Benteke were alright but most of the "young and hungry" players simply weren't good enough.

All them players except Bannan are higher up the league than Aston Villa. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Okay cool, glad you're happy with a draw at home to Hull.

I'll remember that for the next similar result.

Would you want Bruce back as our manager?

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

All them players except Bannan are higher up the league than Aston Villa. 

We were at the bottom half of the league with those players and that is not what we as a club is striving for in the next 10 years. We were at the bottom half of the table because of what they are, bang average football players.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They kept us in the Premier League as well!

I give them that, but if the alternative is to be a premier league club and finishing 16th, 17th every single year i'd rather stay in the championship to be honest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

No, do you? 

No, not at all.

Your remarkably positive stance regarding Bruce and subsequently negative stance regarding Smith made me think you wanted him back.

50 minutes ago, bobzy said:

No, not at all.

Your remarkably positive stance regarding Bruce and subsequently negative stance regarding Smith made me think you wanted him back.

My positive stance with Bruce waned and ended this season, that doesn't mean I consider his entire tenure to be shit. 

I've judged Smith solely on results and performances which for more than two months were pretty abject. 

• Like 2

Â