Dean Smith

Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

My positive stance with Bruce waned and ended this season, that doesn't mean I consider his entire tenure to be shit. 

I've judged Smith solely on results and performances which for more than two months were pretty abject. 

So for half of Smith's tenure they were pretty abject, what do you think about the other half?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

So, Dean Smith then...

Can he make it two wins on the bounce on Sunday I wonder.  🤔

He better make it. We have a much better squad than Blues. Embarrassing if we don't beat them

Edited by villalad21

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He better make it. We have a much better squad than Blues. Embarrassing if we don't beat them

And to add to it, a point deduction about to be shoved up their arses too.

A must win game for us.

44 minutes ago, romavillan said:

So for half of Smith's tenure they were pretty abject, what do you think about the other half?

I'd say we've been superb in roughly a third of the games so far and below average - appalling in the other two thirds.

Provided we don't end the season too horrendously he gets a summer, a pre season and a right to have a go with his own team, at which point we'll see what he's really made of I guess. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

A local derby, away against a team that are above us in the league and not beating them would be an embarrassment? All local derby’s have an element of lottery about them, the Everton vs Liverpool being a recent example, but any excuse to have a go at our manager. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

Overall, Smith has achieved 1.43 points per game. Slightly more than Bruce’s 1.36.

So I guess that’s your answer.

Overall he has been a little bit better than the manager he replaced and has put in the sort of midtable performance we know so well from his Brentford days.

I agree with @bannedfromHandV that Bruce’s Results this season were unacceptable and he deserved to be sacked.

So I guess you have to draw your own conclusions from all that.

For me, Smith really needs to put in a sizzling performance for the rest of the season to convince as the manager who is capable of leading us out of this mess.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just read somewhere that we actually tried to sign Tuanzebe permanently, when that failed we tried to insert an option to buy but Man U weren't having it.

Shame it's not came off. He's a fantastic player.

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Overall, Smith has achieved 1.43 points per game. Slightly more than Bruce’s 1.36.

Overall he has been a little bit better than the manager he replaced and has put in the sort of midtable performance we know so well from his Brentford days.

I agree with @bannedfromHandV that Bruce’s Results this season were unacceptable and he deserved to be sacked.

For me, Smith really needs to put in a sizzling performance for the rest of the season to convince as the manager who is capable of leading us out of this mess.

Smith's Brentford team played on another level to how we were playing in the period without Jack (when we looked dire). You must be able to consider that the problem is down to the squad and that given time and signings he'd be able to get us playing well too even without our best player. He never had a Jack at Brentford. It goes without saying that the ceiling is vastly higher with Villa than Brentford. The bit in bold: Bruce had Tuanzebe and Jack throughout the start of the season and did nothing. With our full-strength team we look menacing and effective.

So I guess you have to draw your conclusions from that.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just read somewhere that we actually tried to sign Tuanzebe permanently, when that failed we tried to insert an option to buy but Man U weren't having it.

Sounds like ffp is really worrying them then....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'd say we've been superb in roughly a third of the games so far and below average - appalling in the other two thirds.

Provided we don't end the season too horrendously he gets a summer, a pre season and a right to have a go with his own team, at which point we'll see what he's really made of I guess. 

Glad you ca see we have been superb, we have been. When we've been full strength (and to be fair we've not seen much of the new reinforced defence with full strength midfield/attack yet) we've played easily the best football I have seen us play for almost as long as I can remember, and I remember GT the first time round pretty well. 

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Total dodge of the question about how we played in the other half of the games that weren't in the really bad patch, which was described as abject. @bannedfromHandV said we'd been superb, I'd say that's accurate. Under the last manager, with the same group at full strength we didn't see anything even close, and only last season for a small spell after xmas did we see decent football, the only game close to the levels of threat, movement and just exciting good football was the Wolves game. That has to be seen as a one off though, as it wasn't repeated afterwards. 

Sad the knives are out so early for Smith, seems there's a lot of people who can't wait for a bad run to stick the boot in.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Sounds like ffp is really worrying them then....

Or Man U know he's a real talent. I think he could be a top class defender, in a few years I wouldn't be surprised at seeing him in the later stages fo the Champions League.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Or Man U know he's a real talent. I think he could be a top class defender, in a few years I wouldn't be surprised at seeing him in the later stages fo the Champions League.

It is definately this and I feared this would happen. We may have got him if Jose was still in charge but that's not for certain.

He is going to be a top class defender no two ways about that.

33 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I quite agree. My point was Tuanzebe won’t come cheap and if we were prepared to stump up what would have been a considerable fee and wages, then we must be comfortable with ffp. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I quite agree. My point was Tuanzebe won’t come cheap and if we were prepared to stump up what would have been a considerable fee and wages, then we must be comfortable with ffp. 

Ah, I misread it, I thought you were saying not stumping up the fee was a sign we were getting knobbled by FFP., my sarcasm gauge is broken obviously...

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

He won't Dave that's for sure.

I think we're talking atleast £25m rated for him imo.

Â