Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Great to see Grealish back. The one thing he brings to the side is time, time for players to get into better positions, and time for players to make better decisions. Becuase of this he puts pressure on opposition players and gets them to make poor decisions they wouldn't normally make in a game.

These type of players also make the players around them more confident and makes them better players.  Will be an interesting run into the end of the season.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Great to see Grealish back. The one thing he brings to the side is time, time for players to get into better positions, and time for players to make better decisions. Becuase of this he puts pressure on opposition players and gets them to make poor decisions they wouldn't normally make in a game.

These type of players also make the players around them more confident and makes them better players.  Will be an interesting run into the end of the season.

Yes, that's a great way of putting it. He gives an easy out ball to whoever is on the ball, which takes pressure off, they know that he has great first touch so can fire it at him and that helps take pressure off them too, he has good vision and can pass incredibly well and that brings out the best in those around him.... 

I don't think it's just Jack per se though, I think Smith had abandoned the way we were playing because we had no-one to play in that role. Lansbury lasted hardly a game before breaking down and then we got Carroll who got injured immediately. When Jack came off we didn't revert to going long, we stuck to what had been working all game and played the right way. The understanding with Lansbury wasn't the same but at least it didn't just all fall to bits when Jack went off. That's very positive too. 

I've run out of reactions but there was some hilarious stuff in the last couple of pages.

Anyway, Smith out, he's way out of his depth, the club is too big for him and when Jack get's back I can't wait to see what the new excuses will be. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Anyway, Smith out, he's way out of his depth, the club is too big for him and when Jack get's back I can't wait to see what the new excuses will be. 

The same lot are pretty quiet now. It’s a complete joke. Give the guy a bloody chance ffs! 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yes, that's a great way of putting it. He gives an easy out ball to whoever is on the ball, which takes pressure off, they know that he has great first touch so can fire it at him and that helps take pressure off them too, he has good vision and can pass incredibly well and that brings out the best in those around him.... 

I don't think it's just Jack per se though, I think Smith had abandoned the way we were playing because we had no-one to play in that role. Lansbury lasted hardly a game before breaking down and then we got Carroll who got injured immediately. When Jack came off we didn't revert to going long, we stuck to what had been working all game and played the right way. The understanding with Lansbury wasn't the same but at least it didn't just all fall to bits when Jack went off. That's very positive too. 

I've run out of reactions but there was some hilarious stuff in the last couple of pages.

THIS is the key.

The key which some people are refusing to comprehend.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The same lot are pretty quiet now. It’s a complete joke. Give the guy a bloody chance ffs! 

The fact that Jack is a worldbeater in this league does not change my stance on Smith at all.

Smith has to find a way to win football games without Jack, and reality is he cannot.

Smith has to play the same team next week against Birmingham bar injuries under the premise that you if you play well then it’s your shirt to lose. That in itself will breed better performances.

I know doing that means McGin on the bench but again that will let him know he isn’t the automatic starter he and we think he is.

A boot up the arse now and again never hurt anyone and anyway I’m sure he’ll be brought on when either Hourihane or Whelan tires.

Edited by striker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Avcol said:

If Dunga was in charge, we'd have scored 8.

In all seriousness though I'm not sure how much credit I'm giving Smith. Grealish is absolutely the key and lifted everyone around him. The fact we have such a talent makes Smith's job a whole lot easier. Was like we'd signed Ronaldo the way the confidence levels rose. 

Certainly sets up next Sunday perfectly with them losing at Hull as well though. What a big bloody game, most meaningful derby we've had in years.

If you cannot see how much better our football is now than under Bruce I really despair.  Smith has us comfortable on the ball, with a much better offensive shape, Grealish just slots in.  What he brings is control,  I hear coaches constantly telling our younger players to move the ball quicker, Grealis shows you take the touches you need.  Caroll was good when he came on but he is the epitome of that “move the ball quick” mindset.  Grealish is pretty unique

• Like 1

We have to use Grealish in every way we can while he's still here.

Smith needs to be showing Hourihane/McGinn/Ramsey/all of them! Look, this is what he does.

Half of it isn't that complicated honestly. He just takes control of the ball and holds it, doesn't play it until he's happy. Shows for it to help out team mates, doesn't desert them. It's confidence more than technique. He's incredible at that even without the other half of his game, which is also excellent.

We can't only be good when Grealish is playing, we need to adapt.

1 minute ago, macandally said:

If you cannot see how much better our football is now than under Bruce I really despair.

No one is denying that.

But as i've said before i'd take bruceball anyday of the week if that resulted in top 6 to Smithball and finishing mid table.

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The fact that Jack is a worldbeater in this league does not change my stance on Smith at all.

Smith has to find a way to win football games without Jack, and reality is he cannot.

Than we go full circle and have to say:

Maybe if he got the chance to have his own squad in and other players capable of filling the Jack role the reality would change.

34 minutes ago, macandally said:

If you cannot see how much better our football is now than under Bruce I really despair.  Smith has us comfortable on the ball, with a much better offensive shape, Grealish just slots in.  What he brings is control,  I hear coaches constantly telling our younger players to move the ball quicker, Grealis shows you take the touches you need.  Caroll was good when he came on but he is the epitome of that “move the ball quick” mindset.  Grealish is pretty unique

Our football was better, today. And in all the other games that Grealish was present. Hardly a coincidence. For the best part of the last few months without him it hasn't been and has been highly reminiscent of Bruceball at certain times. 3 shots away at Wigan probably the low point of some of our shocking performances. Also at times we've been far from comfortable on the ball with the players treating it like a hot potato. If you can't see that I truly despair.

Not sure if you've seen my other posts/getting me confused with another poster but i'm firmly in the 'Smith in' camp and have never compared him to Bruce unfavourably. I want the man to succeed.

Also for context in case you didn't see the posts from a few weeks ago.. One poster had suggested we get Dunga in as head coach which many, including myself, got a good chuckle out of.

Edited by Avcol
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s kind of sad I feel the need to gloat to our own fans when we are playing well. 

But that’s what this thread has felt like for the past few months. 

One result doesn't change anything for the last twelve games. 

It only changes if Smith consistently wins games. If wec go and lose at the sty next week then this week's result means very little. So I wouldn't "gloat" yet 

• Like 1

Bruce sadly couldn’t get a tune out of this season’s Villa team with Grealish. Smith’s last couple of months of dire performances have been on a par with the win percentage Bruce achieved this season, yet this coincided with the absence of Grealish.

With Grealish available Smith can seemingly get us playing, scoring and winning far more effectively than Bruce could. I was surprised just how much we fell offf a cliff without Grealish and a lot of that falls at Smith’s feet but Smith has, in my opinion, shown in his time here that when he has Grealish he can get us playing the way he intends and the players around him react to that and are subsequently improved as well. 

Bruce was undeniably very effective last season and did really great for us and made us a threat. But I honestly feel if we didn’t lose Jack for the past ten weeks then we would at least we in the playoffs positions. 

Big issue is us almost inevitably losing Grealish next season means we risk going back to being rank average unless we can successfully fill that void. 

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, roonst83 said:

Bruce sadly couldn’t get a tune out of this season’s Villa team with Grealish. Smiths last couple of months of dire performances have been on a par with the win percentage Bruce achieved this season, yet this coincided with the absence of Grealish.

With Grealish available Smith can seemingly get us playing, scoring and winning far more effectively than Bruce could. I was surprised just how much we fell offf a cliff without Grealish and a lot of that falls at Smith’s feet but Smith has, in my opinion, shown in his time here that when he has Grealish he can get us playing the way he intends and the players around him react to that and are subsequently improved as well. 

Bruce was undeniably very effective last season and did really great for us and made us a threat. But I honestly feel if we didn’t lose Jack for the past ten weeks then we would at least we in the playoffs positions. 

Big issue is us almost inevitably losing Grealish next season means we risk going back to being rank average unless we can successfully fill that void. 

This is the big problem. It's really scary just how much we need him. It's almost Grealish plays or bust. Let's just hope he stays fit and we can aim to still salvage something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We were something like 19th in the form table over the last 20 games. I think that's justification to question the managers ability.

Let's see where we are at the end of the season.

So do we believe Smith now when he tells up straight up that Jack is vital to the way he wants to play, at least until he can buy more players? Can we at least give him the chance to build that team before we get on his back?

• Like 2

Bare in mind:

Smith with Grealish 1.0 we could score for fun but couldn't defend.

Smith with Grealish 2.0 we can now defend and score.

There WAS no injury, Jack refused to play until we sorted our shit out.

On a serious note, hope Elphick being out hasn't now f*cked with the defence.

On the flipside could also be Hause baptism.

Got a run of games in a less pressured area and is now ready to make CB his own.

Was always more likely we would keep a young defender over Elphick anyway.

If we attack how we know we can, and defend how we now know we can , anything is possible.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Thanks 1

I've not braved this thread for several weeks now.

Today struck me that Smith has (not for the first time) been hamstrung by Bruce's totally unbalanced squad. 

If we had a plan and player who could do Jack's role, perhaps not as well but do it with reasonable skill,  would we have been anywhere near as bad as we have been?

But no, as usual we have a completely key role with absolutely no cover. 

Jack returns and we are immediately back on it creating havoc with opponents like the last 3 months never happened. 

• Like 4

Â