Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

The players have to be super fit to play Smith's way though, so a few may be getting pissed off with that.

Players still gotta find a move when they leave us out of contract, so the story of them not trying is a little weak to me. I think they are finding it hard to play Smith's way. but he has no plan B other than play safe for draws. The team he has been playing is still capable of scoring more than 1.

poor lambs.

Smiths way, is the way of the managers who occupy the lofty positions in the league....its industry, intensity and the will to win the ball back.

The problem Smith has ....is it was the same under Bruce, slow, slow play.....the problem has  been around for some time.

Tommy Elphick has made a veiled insight in to whats wrong without too much direct finger pointing, but Alan Hutton also made a claim of similar slant, when Bruce left, saying Steve Bruce was too easy on us in training.

I am not trying to be clever.....but you only have to watch the games and the jig saw, with what those 2 players are saying, comes together.

What Dean smith has to do,really will take time....He has to be left alone to do it.....He knows whats wrong, he just needs to rebuild it with players who relish high intensity.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

poor lambs.

Smiths way, is the way of the managers who occupy the lofty positions in the league....its industry, intensity and the will to win the ball back.

The problem Smith has ....is it was the same under Bruce.....its been around for some time.

Tommy Elphick has made a veiled insight in to whats wrong without too much direct finger pointing, but Alan Hutton also made a claim of similar slant, when he left, saying Steve Bruce was too easy on us in training

Think i would rather have the easier training & 24 wins from last season than this shit

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

As a manager you have got to gain maximum respect. If you have the respect you will get the best out of the squad. What I am saying is, weather DS has fell out with some players or not the football on the pitch speaks volumes. We know the team is better than this, they have showed it even without Jack. DS might have some skills, but is he big enough for our club, in that is he ever going to get the respect he may deserve. 

You have to earn respect in any Management role.....That entails good decisions and winning formula's being devised amongst many other things....that takes time for events to present themselves, for you to prove yourself.

Aston Villa is not broken or a mess....but it isn't right and it needs prolonged and sustained work on it. Personally I think Alan Hutton and Tommy Elphick are barking up the right tree.

Dean Smith may not be the high profile manager some wanted, but I think he is the right manager and will go on to make his own high profile......Ron Saunders was low profile when he arrived, but he made his mark and stamped his mantra of 110% work rate, everyone laughed at the time and said you need more than that, anyone can do that, Ron obviously did other things right too, employing a great Scout In Tony Barton and a coach in Roy MClaren who formed the solid triangle all singing off the same Hymn sheet.....Dean can do the same and create the profile some crave at the football club he cherishes....to get a winning formula, so many factors need to be working in sync, that is the bit that takes time.

If Dean gets this right and I think he will.....He will be invited on the box explaining his success story and everyone listening to his philosophies.

ps who was Eddie Howe? until he was given time for him to show it.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

yep, winning bad, running around a lot good....

I love how people voluntarily lose all sight of logic when they are locked into a narrative.

I mean obviously the long term ambition is to have the best running around alot team.

You hit the nail on the head. 🙄

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I love how people voluntarily lose all sight of logic when they are locked into a narrative.

I mean obviously the long term ambition is to have the best running around alot team.

Ahaha, totally, I want a keeper that covers at least 12km in 90 mins.

9 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Think i would rather have the easier training & 24 wins from last season than this shit

look...I agree that SB did manage to get those valuable 24 wins and no one has banged the drum more than me for that feat.....but it was not convincing football and we did deploy so many players to defence mode to achieve it.

Steve Bruce could not play attacking football with this squad and Dean is in transition...he is currently stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I don't think its ALWAYS possible to make direct comparisons with other teams as the mix of squads are different.....I think Dean does need a summer and then I think you will see displays more in line with what Leeds displayed last night.

I still think the recruitment is central  to where we go.....we must get that right, and I don't mean over extravagance with funds....I mean the right characters.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

look...I agree that SB did manage to get those valuable 24 wins and no one has banged the drum more than me for that feat.....but it was not convincing football and we did deploy so many players to defence mode to achieve it.

Steve Bruce could not play attacking football with this squad and Dean is in transition...he is currently stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I don't think its ALWAYS possible to make direct comparisons with other teams as the mix of squads are different.....I think Dean does need a summer and then I think you will see displays more in line with what Leeds displayed last night.

I still think the recruitment is central  to where we go.....we must get that right, and I don't mean over extravagance with funds....I mean the right characters.

Funds won't be there to the same extent so we need to hope we can find the right blend from home and abroad to get a team together in the summer. Turnover will be like nothing we've ever seen I reckon.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Ahaha, totally, I want a keeper that covers at least 12km in 90 mins.

Mate the same people saying Smith would be a coward and not play Jack are some of the same saying he is desperate for playing him. lol

Just saw a post on Facebook saying McGinn is off as he is not included today.

Sums it up. 😂

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Skruff said:

On a few occasions the Dunning-Kruger Effect comes to mind in this thread. 

That's possibly the most passive aggressive thing I have ever read in my life ;)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yet for all the talk of ultra defensive football we still scored 72 goals last year, only 2 teams in this league scored more, Hell only 8 teams in the whole of the EFL scored more goals

2 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Yet for all the talk of ultra defensive football we still scored 72 goals last year, only 2 teams in this league scored more, Hell only 8 teams in the whole of the EFL scored more goals

We did, and that was without Jack and JT for long periods....we can dissect it over and over again.

Fulham, Wolves and Cardiff....got more points.....that is the name of the game.....all managers have their own idea's how to get them.

If I continue this I will be arguing against myself....you know how much I have defended SB and have no regrets, but we have to move on, now.

I see it, to Promote and defend Dean Smith now, if I think IMO the criticism is unjust.

Just now, Mantis said:

So basically:

Smith with Grealish - Totally dominating teams and smashing them by several goals

Smith without Grealish - Bruceball

Incredible how much difference he makes. Derby haven’t turned up either though and to be fair we actually have a defence so know we won’t concede stupid goals.

Â