Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I genuinely despair that people can't put things into context.  It really isn't that hard.  

I blame champ manager (or whatever it’s called these days). Fans take over teams half way through a season and turn them around. If they can do it surely Smith can too!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No.

Dean Smith's tenure so far been a disaster. Slightly above 30 % win rate. 2 wins in the last 15 games before the Derby game.

I don't love to hate i'm just reflecting on facts and facts are results not been anywhere near good enough.

That's not reflecting on anything, just reacting to a particular subset of all available facts - the result stats. Perhaps you should spend a moment reflecting on any possible facts in Dean Smith's tenure you've chosen to ignore because they don't fit your agenda?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

If Grealish play anywhere near the level he showed against Derby i don't think they have a chance beating us. I don't think they have a chance.

hope you're right....if we can win at Blues, play offs is back on, big ask, but doable.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I blame champ manager (or whatever it’s called these days). Fans take over teams half way through a season and turn them around. If they can do it surely Smith can too!

tell me you're not serious?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

The binners will be a tough game, we'll have McGinn back though which will help give us some more fight in the middle. Injuries permitting, if we stick to our principles from our best performances under Smith and play one and two touch where we can, then if we do it well enough they will be doing a lot of running and chasing shadows. Buckle under their press and we won't be able to control the game and it'll be a free for all. Big test but massive reward for getting 3 points though as we'd be reeling in the top 6 a bit more, leapfrogging the noses into the top 10...

I would be tempted to play a Diamond in the middle and one winger as opposed to 2......Hourihane playing at the tip of the diamond, jack and McGinn in the middle and Glenn at the base.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

tell me you're not serious?

I think he's right actually. 

Same as when people say we should sell this and that player when the reality is no one will offer any money or pay their current wages.  You can't just press a sell button. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

losing creates all sorts of doubters, conspiracy theories and just made up garbage that feeds the depressed anyway.

Dean Smith will have ups and downs within a dynamic graph.....He has to ensure the overall is gradual  assent....injuries/suspensions to key players, will disrupt his plans.....in such time we all have to stay strong., but as long as the graph is an upward trajectory, we will get there.

Winning fixes so many things that are not really there....they just appear to be.

I know its like stating the bloody obvious...but its all about winning and keeping your head when you don't.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think he's right actually. 

Same as when people say we should sell this and that player when the reality is no one will offer any money or pay their current wages.  You can't just press a sell button. 

The mind boggles

Considering how many who were certain we would make automatics when Smith took over and we won a few games it's not really surprising that many are disappointed with the results since.

The massive hype built up and then the return to reality has been grim.

Fwiw I'm sure if you asked Smith he'd be equally disappointed with our performances and results in the last 2 months.

Even all things considering it's been poor.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Obviously I’m joking but I do think some fans think managers are miracle workers. Wave a wand and the players will win games. 

I was too...but as sidcow says.....you could be right.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Considering how many who were certain we would make automatics when Smith took over and we won a few games it's not really surprising that many are disappointed with the results since.

Fwiw I'm sure if you asked Smith he'd be equally disappointed with our performances and results in the last 2 months.

It has been poor but hopefully we see improvement in the last 11 games and the owners back Smith in the summer. 

If we have a similar run next season to what happened this season then he would have to go.  I’m confident after a summer and once he has he’s own players in we will be a very good team.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Of course its been poor.....but if everything is hunky dory, what do you need a manager for?.....if it was great SB would still be here.

I remember managing a business and the chief came on a visit.......he said to me "any problems", I said "one or two".....he responded and said " That's good because that's what we pay you for"

It really is that simple.

Even Klopp  and Guardiola have taken time to get to where they are.

Dean needs a couple of seasons and a 2/3 windows before we can start to appraise him properly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It has been poor but hopefully we see improvement in the last 11 games and the owners back Smith in the summer. 

If we have a similar run next season to what happened this season then he would have to go.  I’m confident after a summer and once he has he’s own players in we will be a very good team.

Yeah hopefully.

Still difficult to say about next season because we really have no idea what team we will be putting on the field.

For me the jury is also still out on Smith, not that I have anything against him. It's just that, well he has managed 2 small clubs with decent results, but that's about it. Not much to go on yet.

Not fair to him to expect him to perform miracles here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Of course its been poor.....but if everything is hunky dory, what do you need a manager for?.....if it was great SB would still be here.

I remember managing a business and the chief came on a visit.......he said to me "any problems", I said "one or two".....he responded and said " That's good because that's what we pay you for"

Dean needs a couple of seasons and a 2/3 windows before we can start to appraise him properly.

Agree with all of that apart from the 2 seasons. I think he has to challenge for top 2 next season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

No one get's a couple of seasons to get it right in modern football.

Like it or not, that's not how it works anymore.

3 years in a job is an eternity now.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah hopefully.

Still difficult to say about next season because we really have no idea what team we will be putting on the field.

For me the jury is also still out on Smith, not that I have anything against him. It's just that, well he has managed 2 small clubs with decent results, but that's about it. Not much to go on yet.

Not fair to him to expect him to perform miracles here.

i am hoping the profile everyone is looking for in Dean.....will manifest itself with us.

9 minutes ago, sne said:

No one get's a couple of seasons to get it right in modern football.

Like it or not, that's not how it works anymore.

3 years in a job is an eternity now.

It is if you keep dropping points at the rate we have.....it depends on what is meant by getting it right....pockets of improvement need to be identified, but the overall takes time and good managers usually buy that time for themselves.

Dean needs to find some back to back wins to give the owners confidence.....success in football, is like a snow ball on a mountain, it has to gather momentum to grow...and everyone pulling in the same direction.

Look at Farke..first season modest, look at Jokanovic last season, signs Mitrovic and its bingo

some get lucky of course.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

The frustration lies in the fact we now have our midfield coming back but our defence is falling apart, that and the fact we are so far off the play off pace, all the teams below us have a game in hand and we are just a few points from dropping out of the top half if these teams win.

Obviously performing well and getting back to winning ways is the most important thing right now and hopefully we will push on in style.

But if anyone else in defence gets crocked we are done, only other player we could have called on was Bedeau and we let him go for nothing for no apparent reason. People keep saying Revan isn't even first choice for the U23s.

we need Chester back badly.

Â