Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We deperately need replacement for Whelan and Jedinak as well as better wingers. We also need a cover for Jack.

All of these areas should of had a much higher priority than the gk situation, as i'v said before Steer is more than capable at this level and it's millions wasted already. Nyland and Kalinic both looks bang average.

nyland was costing us points on his own...it was top prority in jan. kalinic looks much more than 'bang average' and i'm sure most will agree on that. 6m on the current number 1 of the world cup runners up is far from money wasted. steer had nowt to do yesterday or vs west brom, and the one thing he had to do vs stoke he should have done better, so not sure what games of his you're watching where you've concluded he's better than kalinic.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I try to judge us on how we play rather than the results. The last 2 games before yesterday I thought we played well so the results would eventually come. He had sured up the defence which was our biggest problem.

If all you care about is results than I bet you want Steve Bruce back. 

Last two there has been a definite improvement only a fool would say otherwise. 

Ain't we in the results business? Don't twll us you are not yourself! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Last two there has been a definite improvement only a fool would say otherwise. 

Ain't we in the results business? Don't twll us you are not yourself! 

Of course we are in the results business but haven’t you learnt anything from last season? Spending a whole season playing crap most games but winning is not a good long term strategy. 

Begin to start consistently playing well and the results will eventually come.  We’re a big work in progress I’m afraid. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

One result doesn't change anything for the last twelve games. 

It only changes if Smith consistently wins games. If wec go and lose at the sty next week then this week's result means very little. So I wouldn't "gloat" yet 

One result may not change anything but 2 good performances against Stoke and Derby can!  Confidence is all important ! No one is 'gloating'; we are simply enjoying the moment and if you can't do that, what's the point?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

nyland was costing us points on his own...it was top prority in jan. kalinic looks much more than 'bang average' and i'm sure most will agree on that. 6m on the current number 1 of the world cup runners up is far from money wasted. steer had nowt to do yesterday or vs west brom, and the one thing he had to do vs stoke he should have done better, so not sure what games of his you're watching where you've concluded he's better than kalinic.

Nyland did keep some clean sheets didn't he, while he might of had a blunder a game. I don't think it was his fault, in fact since Mings and Hause have been here I would put a bet that Nylands distribution is what were missing and he wouldn't let in as many goals. The amount coming at a keeper is slowing down it seems which is a positive, the keepers have hardly had much to do last couple of games. Things look like they're starting to flow in the right direction again.

I just think because of our defensive problems that Nyland was made more than a scapegoat for what was a whole team problem. From the midfield to defence Nyland was always going to let in some goals. He made some absoloute terrific saves though and put it some lovely performances and I feel that's what people are forgetting. All because we had a bunch of hobbits in defence that couldn't keep inflatable beach balls out of the box which would make any keeper job tougher. The amount that was coming towards Nyland every game it was like we didn't have a defence at all.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He had a chance to start that in January.

Unfortunately he decided to waste millions on a bang average goalkeeper when we desperately needed strengthening elsewhere.

I think our January business was outstanding! Fixed the defence, Hause, Mings, Guibert, Kalinic and recalling Elphick.  Fixed the midfield with Carroll and retained the attacking threat by keeping Tammy.  I cant see much else he could have done in such a short period time with the scarcity of available players in January! Whst would you have done?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Of course we are in the results business but haven’t you learnt anything from last season? Spending a whole season playing crap most games but winning is not a good long term strategy. 

Begin to start consistently playing well and the results will eventually come.  We’re a big work in progress I’m afraid. 

I agree to a extent but it's consistentency which Smith hasn't achieved yet. We will lose games granted but it's how we respond to those. The problem we have is we just seem to fall apart without grealish. Whoever the manager is that is not good enough if you want to be promoted. 

Grealish picks up major injuries each year so we need to have a team able to challenge without him. Looking at our accounts I don't see how we won't get a transfer embargo next year unless we sell grealish. 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree to a extent but it's consistentency which Smith hasn't achieved yet. We will lose games granted but it's how we respond to those. The problem we have is we just seem to fall apart without grealish. Whoever the manager is that is not good enough if you want to be promoted. 

Grealish picks up major injuries each year so we need to have a team able to challenge without him. Looking at our accounts I don't see how we won't get a transfer embargo next year unless we sell grealish. 

How is Smith supposed to resolve a no Grealish issue when he has had one January transfer window where the priority was to fix the mess of a defence and keeper that Bruce left for him? To an extent he has done that. 

You say yourself no manager seems to be able to cope without Grealish yet you write off Smith before he has even had an adequate chance to try and resolve this issue.

I just don’t get what fans are expecting from any manager in such a short time.

• Like 3

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

How is Smith supposed to resolve a no Grealish issue when he has had one January transfer window where the priority was to fix the mess of a defence and keeper that Bruce left for him? To an extent he has done that. 

You say yourself no manager seems to be able to cope without Grealish yet you write off Smith before he has even had an adequate chance to try and resolve this issue.

I just don’t get what fans are expecting from any manager in such a short time.

I haven't written him off but you can't kepe. Defending him for a poor run of form. Three wins in fourteen is not good enough. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Agree with most of that.  I'm pretty sure that DS would have tried to get someone to play the JG role in January.    We need a plan to play without JG as you rightly say.  I am sure that we will buy someone in the summer to address that issue!

1 minute ago, CharlieAitken59 said:

Agree with most of that.  I'm pretty sure that DS would have tried to get someone to play the JG role in January.    We need a plan to play without JG as you rightly say.  I am sure that we will buy someone in the summer to address that issue!

Yeah I think Smith tried using Kodjia but that hasn't worked. I would hav eliked to have seen El ghazi as he looks suited. Green for me isn't in same mould. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah I think Smith tried using Kodjia but that hasn't worked. I would hav eliked to have seen El ghazi as he looks suited. Green for me isn't in same mould. 

Yes, I agree that El Ghazi was worth trying in JG role. He's a good player who just needs to add consistency into his game. Could be a big player for us next season, if we decide to buy him!

18 minutes ago, CharlieAitken59 said:

I think Carroll was meant to be the cover for Jack but also got injured.  Obviously not like for like as Jack is head and shoulders above everything in the division, but Carroll's pass and move football would most likely have fit Smith's style in a similar way.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Whelan probably the most consistently good player last 5-6. Doesn't Smith have less say over player transfers than previous managers now we have DOF and not to mention restricted by FFP?

Yes, I agree, Whelan has been really good for us lately. I made him my MOTM yesterday. Had the best period of his of his Villa career in the last 5 or 6 games imo

Looking at yesterday's days game. It looked like Carroll was someone who was brought in the be a replacement/backup for Jack. And Carroll looks to be the most capable player to do that, based on the little we've seen of him so far.

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think Carroll was meant to be the cover for Jack but also got injured.  Obviously not like for like as Jack is head and shoulders above everything in the division, but Carroll's pass and move football would most likely have fit Smith's style in a similar way.

Agreed, although different to Jack, Carroll is a good player who's injury happened at a bad time for us!  He is definetely a DS type player. You could see yesterday his potential to play well under DS....hope he stays fit for the rest of the season!

1 hour ago, CharlieAitken59 said:

Whst would you have done

I would put trust in Steer and sign a proper defensive midfielder.

Hause and Mings been good but they are loans not signings.

Edited by villalad21

25 minutes ago, Skruff said:

Looking at yesterday's days game. It looked like Carroll was someone who was brought in the be a replacement/backup for Jack. And Carroll looks to be the most capable player to do that, based on the little we've seen of him so far.

Carroll looks more like a Westwood type of player than a Grealish type.

Â