Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I'm Smith in, yet would not surprise me if the owners were to make a decision if the next 2/3 games are por resuts and performances.

If we got in a new manager who has a good reputation for good football i can live with that.

Can honestly see a Lampard/Gerrard/Terry type appointment which would be an absolute disaster

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

I'm Smith in, yet would not surprise me if the owners were to make a decision if the next 2/3 games are por resuts and performances.

If we got in a new manager who has a good reputation for good football i can live with that.

Can honestly see a Lampard/Gerrard/Terry type appointment which would be an absolute disaster

Terry has done it the right way and i'll be really interested to see how he does as a manager. I think it would be a risk for Villa but probably less of a risk than any other club taking him on. 

Just now, mrchnry said:

Terry has done it the right way and i'll be really interested to see how he does as a manager. I think it would be a risk for Villa but probably less of a risk than any other club taking him on. 

I'd agree with that but still wouldnt want him as numero uno. Has to cut his cloth and prove himself before joing a club like us as the boss

30 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

He could have moved Axel into the defensive midfield position and gone to 4 at the back to try and bolster the midfield until half time. He then could have changed the system.

He did absolutely nothing

Spot on. To not change anything as that half of football was played was absolute negligence.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's amazing how when a club is going through a bad patch the rumour mill starts to go into overdrive. 

Problem is that the bad patch has been going on for a while. Apart from the last 2 games of last season, Bailey’s cameo against Everton, and the Man Utd win, I feel like we’ve been in a bad patch since Grealish’s shin splints flared up months ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

That's just silly.

Anything could happen in 2 off games. Does he suddenly become a top manager because he wins 2 games?

Either they believe in him or they don't. 2 games shouldn't define that.

If there is any truth, the decision wouldn't have been made on the back of " 2 games ", it will be a culmination of things, and at the end of the day, it's a results business.

If we shithoused 12 points from the next 4, they would definitely take it for now. lol

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The Wolves collapse might end up being the defining moment for Dean. We need a big response vs West Ham or the pressure will really build on him.

I worry it will be his Stoke 2009 moment.

Considering we reacted by throwing in one of the worst first half performances I've ever seen from us it dosen't look too good for us tbh.

Just looking at the table and it's worrying how teams are starting to pull clear of us. Everton 2-1 up and they'll be 7 points clear of us and we beat them 3-0 a few weeks ago! At this stage of the season 7 points is manageable but could easily get 10 + points if we don't win in next few games.

Think that's the question the owners will have to conclude soon enough. How can a team like Everton who spent barely anything in summer and finished one placing ahead of us be so far ahead. If they conclude it's simply because they have a much better manager....well that will be the time to do something about it.

40 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Problem is that the bad patch has been going on for a while. Apart from the last 2 games of last season, Bailey’s cameo against Everton, and the Man Utd win, I feel like we’ve been in a bad patch since Grealish’s shin splints flared up months ago.

You don't usually win any games in a bad patch. I think you're slightly moving the goalposts with that comment. 

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Is JT working at the minute? I wonder if Smith could get him in to do some consultancy work for a month or so. Our defence has gone to the dogs since he left!

Who knows why Terry left? I always assumed he'd leave to finally take up a managerial job but months on and he still dosen't seem to think he's ready.

Obviously something happened to make him think he'd done all he could here, did he leave before G***lish went as so much happened in the summer you forget the timeline.

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

But on it's own the statistic is used to tell a bit of a fib.

After nine games of the 2019/20 season we had 11 points - if we'd continued that way over the course of the season we'd have ended up with 46 points in 13th place - as it was, we finished 17th with 35 points.

In the first nine games of that season we averaged 1.22 points per game, in the last twenty nine games we averaged 0.825 - from this point in the 2019-20 season, there was a massive drop off.

So yes, it's true to say that we have less points right now than after the same number of games as we had in 2019/20 - but it's also fair to say that the first nine games of 2019/20 were the best part of that season, a decent start compared to the rest of the year.

We have less points than we had at this point in a season where we were nearly relegated - and we'd have to collapse from our current form in a similar way to find ourselves in a that position again. 

If, as you say it shows how badly we've started, then at this terrible point in our form, we're one point worse off than the 2019/20 team at the very best point in their season.

No, it isn’t a fib it is a simple fact.

I did say anything about the rest of the season. What I said was factually correct, you’ve gone on to comment on the rest of that season, I made no mention of it.

The reality though was people at the time were disappointed the start we made that season, two years and a lot of money later we are no better. That is a valid point after a quarter of the season.

I don’t for one minute think we will finish the season as badly as we did that year, although out current form is pretty terrible.

I am though sick of being told our start has been okay, that we’ve been unfortunate with injuries, that he needs more time. It has been a poor start, we’ve played poorly in nearly every game and the excuses about injuries just do not cut it.

It hasn’t been good enough from Smith, not remotely close.

• Like 1

Â