Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I don't get this fixation on a midtable team and how we performed against other teams and how many times we got a battering. That is not the issue at Villa at the moment. We have no cohesion, no style and are not a team. It doesn't matter where we are in the table or who we are playing or how many we lose by. We MUST play as a team with a clear plan / style as to how we are going to play. That is the fundamental issue at Villa and that is Dean's responsibility. Dean must fix this or he will be sacked. I am not sure how long he will have to fix it, that is down to Purslow but with each loss the day of reckoning gets closer

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

See my post a few pages back, when rather than if for me. Think he is done.

Agree with this - I think he will need to win the next 2 games if he gets that long to prolong the inevitable - I think it’s all over for smith and maybe much sooner than some think 

I agree, think he knows the game is up...players possibly know too hence the supposed fractions after the game last night.

One more defeat I'm starting to think...whether that is right or wrong remains to be seen.

I do wonder if this is why NSWE only gave him a budget and not all of the Greal-hiss money?

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I agree, think he knows the game is up...players possibly know too hence the supposed fractions after the game last night.

One more defeat I'm starting to think...whether that is right or wrong remains to be seen.

I do wonder if this is why NSWE only gave him a budget and not all of the Greal-hiss money?

That crossed my mind at the start of the season, as in, why did we only effectively reinvest the Grealish money, but didnt spend another 50-100m on top like i would have expected us to if Grealish didnt leave.

I did wonder if it was a "we've reinvested the 100m, we will stop there and lets see what you do over the next 6-12 months" before we allow you to spend another 100m.

I have no evidence that this could be remotely true, but it did cross my mind at the time.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

You wrote mid or lower mid table teams. Everton were top when they beat them 4-2 and Leicester in the top 3 I think. Maybe they will but do you think we will finish above Brighton the way we are playing?. I think we have a better squad than them but Brighton have identity and we dont and maybe that will come. I hope so! 

Everton finished 10th, so I’d call them mid table. But I get your point about where they were at the time - fair enough.

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't get this fixation on a midtable team and how we performed against other teams and how many times we got a battering. That is not the issue at Villa at the moment. We have no cohesion, no style and are not a team. It doesn't matter where we are in the table or who we are playing or how many we lose by. We MUST play as a team with a clear plan / style as to how we are going to play. That is the fundamental issue at Villa and that is Dean's responsibility. Dean must fix this or he will be sacked. I am not sure how long he will have to fix it, that is down to Purslow but with each loss the day of reckoning gets closer

It’s because so many of the hysteria merchants believe that if we drop points to Arsenal or Wolves our whole season is basically over, because those are the “must win” games.

My point is a midtable team will beat some better teams and lose to some worse teams. We’ve beaten Man Utd already this season (who, despite Ole being shit, are still clearly a top 6 side).

So many fans have this weird idea that your whole season revolves around certain individual games or periods of the season.

Things are shit at the moment. We’ll go on a run of wins, just as we always have under Smith. The talk of a lost dressing room will die down. It’s always like this.

And more importantly, I just don’t really see who we replace him with?

• Like 4

Just now, MaVilla said:

That crossed my mind at the start of the season, as in, why did we only effectively reinvest the Grealish money, but didnt spend another 50-100m on top like i would have expected us to if Grealish didnt leave.

I did wonder if it was a "we've reinvested the 100m, we will stop there and lets see what you do over the next 6-12 months" before we allow you to spend another 100m.

I have no evidence that this could be remotely true, but it did cross my mind at the time.

Yeah, I think many of us have been thinking the same since the Summer.

If he goes after the next match a new manager can be found and has the time to address the balance of the squad and invest for January.

It's potentially harsh on Smith, but football is all about results and we are looking bad at the moment.

Just now, KentVillan said:

Everton finished 10th, so I’d call them mid table. But I get your point about where they were at the time - fair enough.

It’s because so many of the hysteria merchants believe that if we drop points to Arsenal or Wolves our whole season is basically over, because those are the “must win” games.

My point is a midtable team will beat some better teams and lose to some worse teams. We’ve beaten Man Utd already this season (who, despite Ole being shit, are still clearly a top 6 side).

So many fans have this weird idea that your whole season revolves around certain individual games or periods of the season.

Things are shit at the moment. We’ll go on a run of wins, just as we always have under Smith. The talk of a lost dressing room will die down. It’s always like this.

I hate this 'Must Win' BS at this stage of the season. Its crazy. There are still 87 points to play for. Some of the hysteria is anti Smith driven and some is wet pants driven. Personally, I think we have a good enough squad for 10th or above. If we don't make it that is not the end of the world but only if we are performing well. If we have an up and down season and win some good games and lose stupid games and don't show cohesion then I will be wanting Smith gone. He really needs to sort this out imo

13 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Agree with this - I think he will need to win the next 2 games if he gets that long to prolong the inevitable - I think it’s all over for smith and maybe much sooner than some think 

I don’t even think it’s close,  yes there is a lot of pressure on him but I don’t even think he’s close to being sacked.

• Like 3

The owners will look at many things, but one will be, how many games do we crash and burn, before we act......going down is a haunting place, and judging by the first half against Watford, the collapse against Wolves ( yes Dean Collapse, not random) and the Arsenal Debacle where we made them look like Man City, do we have to wait, until we are in crisis, before we act.....or have we sufficient Nous to see a storm coming, before it arrives.

Only time will tell, personally, I think too much has been made of the system, I think it is other more worrying things...(We used it to beat Man U and Everton) sure since they have both had a dip in form, none the less good scalps.

How could we come out and apply ourselves like that, after having a weeks training to leave it all behind us.....These are not bad days at the office, I have seen them before, and any longstanding fans will have done....some things are not right, but I am not privvy to behind the scenes, stuff...which I suspect could be at play.

Dean needs to dig deep and turn it around before a toxic situation takes hold.....however, West Ham, is not my choice to do it with.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think this is the most important point. I’m a Smith fan generally but was annoyed last night that he didn’t change things much much earlier.

Whilst I have my concerns, he is a good manager, not an elite manager but a good one. We’re not in a position to attract an elite manager so who, realistically, would we be after?

Interestingly, Viera is looking like a great appointment but we would not have been impressed if Purslow had appointed someone so inexperienced at that level.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You honestly think that is a possibility? I don’t even think it’s in the realm of possibility

I'm not sure, alot of rumours today he has two games to save his job...

It's not what I want as i like him but I do think he's struggling...

Smith needs to get back to basics, 4-3-3 and win some matches!

Midtable teams, okay I'll surrender to it and agree you win some you lose some even against the shite.

But what we need to look at is the manner we are losing games. Watford, we looked completely unprepared. Tottenham, okay accepted, even though I think they were shite and for the taking. Wolves, again look at the manner of that loss, the game was won. An finally I'll pick on Arsenal, totally inept first half performance, weather system or personal, we just wasn't up for that game.

I just think alot of the time so far this season, we have give away points through lack of trying, rather than the opposition being at there best and deserving the win. 

9 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

It’s because so many of the hysteria merchants believe that if we drop points to Arsenal or Wolves our whole season is basically over,

Not only that where has this right that we beat Arsenal come from.  Yes we have beat Arsenal recently but they still finished above us last season and spent 50m more than us in the summer and we’re at home.  Where is this god given right that we should’ve won against Arsenal come from.  I looked before the game with Arsenal at 1.95 win from the bookie and us 4.4 for the win.  We played dogshit, our formation was wrong and they players forgot how to play football.  Smith mainly to blame, players also get some blame but the hysteria of losing to Arsenal is unacceptable is silly.  The only thing unacceptable was our performance from manager to players.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Only time will tell, personally, I think too much has been made of the system, I think it is other more worrying things...(We used it to beat Man U and Everton) sure since they have both had a dip in form, none the less good scalps.

That is exactly what Dean Smith said and whilst i partially agree, Everton have shown today that they not that good and Man U are easy to play against. They give you time and space to play!, So i dont think you can use them results to say the system works. In any case we changed the system when Bailey came on against Everton.  

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'm not sure, alot of rumours today he has two games to save his job...

It's not what I want as i like him but I do think he's struggling...

Smith needs to get back to basics, 4-3-3 and win some matches!

He might not even get 2 games mate 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Midtable teams, okay I'll surrender to it and agree you win some you lose some even against the shite.

But what we need to look at is the manner we are losing games. Watford, we looked completely unprepared. Tottenham, okay accepted, even though I think they were shite and for the taking. Wolves, again look at the manner of that loss, the game was won. An finally I'll pick on Arsenal, totally inept first half performance, weather system or personal, we just wasn't up for that game.

I just think alot of the time so far this season, we have give away points through lack of trying, rather than the opposition being at there best and deserving the win. 

I agree the performances aren’t good, not trying to defend them, but I don’t think a lot needs fixing.

If I look through the team, I’m largely happy with Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Luiz, McGinn and what little we’ve seen of Bailey.

Targett and Buendia have been poor but we know they’re both capable of better.

Ramsey up and down… fine for his age, just a bit too much responsibility.

And then the Ings / Watkins thing seems to be making them both look worse than they are. This is the main problem isn’t it?

So it isn’t a massively complicated thing to fix, but it will mean benching one of our star strikers or playing them out of position.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Surprisingly we agree again (two days on the trot) but we also beat Everton and Man U a few games before.  We are playing shite against Arsenal, Spurs and 10 minutes with Wolves.  The Wolves game, 9 other times out of 10 we wouldn’t have lost that even the way we are playing…2-0, 79 minutes, we just wouldn’t.  That Wolves collapse hurt us and seemed to hurt the players.  Smith needs to dump 352 because we started to look a bit better second half (couldn’t have been worse I agree and maybe Arsenal took the foot off the gas) but half glass full we looked a bit better in the second half but far from where we should be.

Smith needs to fix it, it’s his job.  I don’t think he’s under any threat of losing his job.  He’s now getting back some players, he needs to play 433 and see how we go. 

• Like 1

Â