Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Midtable teams, okay I'll surrender to it and agree you win some you lose some even against the shite.

But what we need to look at is the manner we are losing games. Watford, we looked completely unprepared. Tottenham, okay accepted, even though I think they were shite and for the taking. Wolves, again look at the manner of that loss, the game was won. An finally I'll pick on Arsenal, totally inept first half performance, weather system or personal, we just wasn't up for that game.

I just think alot of the time so far this season, we have give away points through lack of trying, rather than the opposition being at there best and deserving the win. 

I agree, there's a few matches this season which have raised eyebrows.

The balance to the team is wrong and players look uncomfortable with the system...

8 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'm not sure, alot of rumours today he has two games to save his job...

It's not what I want as i like him but I do think he's struggling...

Smith needs to get back to basics, 4-3-3 and win some matches!

Rumours? A bloke who knows a bloke or somebody off twatterverse trying to look like they are in the know by making up stuff.  We know Villa don’t leak secrets so I doubt anything like this has creeped out.  A few games ago he’d beaten Man U and Everton and was loved, the owners aren’t going to flip after three loses…they just aren’t.

• Like 2

But we still hear things, it's not completely tight...

Smith was practically gone before lockdown and we were hearing it weeks before, we seem to be in a similar situation yet again.

Look, I really hope he turns it around quickly but I'm starting to think it is the beginning of the end for him.

Last season, I would have expected a good game against west ham, acceptable loss if busting a gut.  Southampton and Brighton we would be looking at a win. I'm happy to see how these next 3 go. I'm guessing if we lose all three Smiths in the poo poo!

But what if we beat West ham and lose against Southampton. Midtable form or poor inconsistency.

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Rumours? A bloke who knows a bloke or somebody off twatterverse trying to look like they are in the know by making up stuff.  We know Villa don’t leak secrets so I doubt anything like this has creeped out.  A few games ago he’d beaten Man U and Everton and was loved, the owners aren’t going to flip after three loses…they just aren’t.

I agree.

but the bigger picture is.....despite the year on year progress, which is well documented.....it also spells played 135....won 55 lost 54...with a 40% win ratio.

Now, we are not the ones to say, if thats ok or not.....but his employers are, and will, I suspect, behind closed doors.

He will not lose or keep his job on one game....of that I am sure.

I would hazard a guess, that the prospect of relegation, is not one they will countenance and it will all come down to, do they stick or twist.....now that I guess, will be influenced, by the day to day impression they have, and all its associated critera.

I would say he needs a huge filip right now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

Nick, I will be quick to tell you.....I don't have the answer, I only have suspicions.

I accept we was better, in the second half, but was the system, just a cop out.....I saw players with a bit more of a spring in their step, was that down to a huge bollocking?.....was it down to players saying they didn't want to play that way and Dean giving in...was it down to Bailey instilling more belief, in to a disbelieving team?

I am just speculating....but there are more questions than answers for me.

Oh I agree, we are completely speculating and it might not just be one thing it could be a mixture of many.  I think Axel isn’t working both as a player and the three were struggling to work together…a three might work but those three are struggling to play together.  Axel came out suddenly they were better.  Yes far from perfect but it felt more comfortable.  It also meant Cash and Targett who aren’t wingbacks at all played more natural positions and looked better.  We then with Bailey had more width upfront which made Arsenal think more defensively.  It also had the benefit that the space down the sides weren’t as free for them to roam forward without pressure.  

Obviously Bailey coming on helps because it adds creativity and speed whereas before we only had Buendia as a creative player and he’s struggling with form.  The 352 we’ve been playing is too defensive and brings teams onto us without us having an outlet, 433 freed us a bit.

The whole players speaking out and/or tantrums I’ll leave for others to speculate because we’ll unlikely never know and people will believe whatever they want anyway.  I can only comment on what I see on the pitch re matches.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

but the bigger picture is.....despite the year on year progress, which is well documented.....it also spells played 135....won 55 lost 54...with a 40% win ratio.

We have discussed this ratio before and as you know I don’t agree with it over tenure because there are factors when comparing or assessing so let’s avoid that discussion again.  Some experts love it, some experts don’t.

12 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

But we still hear things, it's not completely tight...

Smith was practically gone before lockdown and we were hearing it weeks before, we seem to be in a similar situation yet again.

Look, I really hope he turns it around quickly but I'm starting to think it is the beginning of the end for him.

He may turn it round, an to be fair I hope he does. But one thing you can guarantee with Smith, there will be a next time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nick76 said:

We have discussed this ratio before and as you know I don’t agree with it over tenure because there are factors when comparing or assessing so let’s avoid that discussion again.  Some experts love it, some experts don’t.

There will always be factors, its a guide.....the factors will relate to other clubs too....sure its swings and roundabouts, but if it had no creedence, folk would unanimously reject it.

whether you like the calculation of the stats or not.

The facts are, won 55...lost 54, which spells win one lose one.....over such a period of 3 years, spells trait, to me.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Your right, if Grealish wasn't injured each season, it would show him as a much better manager.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He may turn it round, an to be fair I hope he does. But one thing you can guarantee with Smith, there will be a next time.

But you notice each time we are in a better place higher position and expectation is higher when it happens.  We take two steps forward, one step back, two steps forward, one step back etc…you know what? I can handle that!

Just now, nick76 said:

But you notice each time we are in a better place higher position and expectation is higher when it happens.  We take two steps forward, one step back, two steps forward, one step back etc…you know what? I can handle that!

Imagine if you could route that out our game though. Probably be playing in Europa league.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

but we can't sustain it.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Your right, if Grealish wasn't injured each season, it would show him as a much better manager.

Not sure how that relates mate but I was talking about likely positions for each season.  Our first season promoted we were only likely to get 9 wins so was always going to be a ~25% win rate.  As you get a stronger squad like last season win 16 wins is reasonable so closer to 45%.  Win ratios for tenure only make sense for teams not progressing rapidly like we have been.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Imagine if you could route that out our game though. Probably be playing in Europa league.

and we may do that, what we have seen is Smith makes us better when he’s gone through that bad period imo.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

but we can't sustain it.

Why not if we keep moving forward two, back one, forward two, back one as we do under Smith…we keep moving forward over the long term which is progression.  We are just in the dip at the moment and people are hurting.  I think expecting the smooth ride all along the journey is the fools game some Villa fans thought it would be.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

but we can't sustain it.

How many managers in world football do? There's always a bad spell. Even Pep, with a billion pounds, has failed to win the champs league.

Chelsea go through manager after manager. 

Klopp put forward the worst title defence in premier league history. 

Man u haven't come close to winning the title since Fergie left, regardless of the big names they've hired. 

What managers just consistently succeed year after year and never take a step backwards?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Agree with this - I think he will need to win the next 2 games if he gets that long to prolong the inevitable - I think it’s all over for smith and maybe much sooner than some think 

You did also say he should have been sacked, January time, first season back in the prem. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

How many managers in world football do? There's always a bad spell. Even Pep, with a billion pounds, has failed to win the champs league.

Chelsea go through manager after manager. 

Klopp put forward the worst title defence in premier league history. 

Man u haven't come close to winning the title since Fergie left, regardless of the big names they've hired. 

What managers just consistently succeed year after year and never take a step backwards?

I think you are taking it to some kind of extreme comparison.

A bounce back against Arsenal after a weeks training, would have deemed as sustaining an ability to reverse a poor finish to a game and squandering valuable points...by bouncing back.

Instead we witnessed an inept, response.

Thats the kind of sustained, I was talking about, even win one lose one has a kinda sustained inconsistency, even if it is an oxymoron.

your interpretation of Champions league stuff, is for the birds.

Â