Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, MotoMkali said:

No inside info, just my opinion. We sold Grealish but spent less than we got for him. And yes we've had poor injury luck. But McGinn is not a good enough player to be starting week in week out of we want to be finishing higher than 11th.

Doesn't mean that we didn't try... 

Means that we're in a position where we can spend the money on target 1 or 2 but leave it if they're not available 

The problem is lack of patience, we might finish 10th this season, bring through 2 or 3 academy players and then next summer get the DMC we want, and that will be enough for Smith and the owners but not enough for some of the fans

Us not buying another Midfielder doesn't mean that we didn't try, we all know that we did

I’ve always been on the fence re:Smith, but that was just awful management today. We were cruising at 2-0, why make subs just for the sake of it? I can maybe understand Dougie because of the travelling, but no need to replace Buendia or Cash. I really want Smith to be our guy for the next 5 years but he is repeatedly shown up. I just don’t think he is consistent enough to get us top 6 in the long term. I can imagine Wes is fuming tonight. 

Just now, villa4europe said:

Whats that based on? 

Tbf if we don’t finish top 10 he absolutely should be gone. This squad is quite easily top 10. The quality of the league other than the top 6 isn’t good. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

Tbf if we don’t finish top 10 he absolutely should be gone. This squad is quite easily top 10. The quality of the league other than the top 6 isn’t good. 

I agree. It's a long season of course so we'll see how we get on but if it's 11th or below again I really don't see the point in keeping him.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

People seriously talking about sacking him again. It's like they wait for a bad result to let it all out. 

Get ****. Your so far up his hole it’s ridiculous. He made horrendous substitutions and lost us the game. And his game management is questionable at the best of times

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

but not just that, he doesn’t react to what’s going on in game, we never change from what we set out as even when other teams do.

That is my biggest concern with Smith. I really like the guy and hope he can fix things but reacting to what is actually happening on the pitch is a weakness we have

Just now, Spoony said:

Disagree personally 

Mid table teams like us and wolves are much of a muchness, not a lot between us all, all inconistent, all chop and change performances depending on injuries and form, I don't think we sack a manager based on finishing outside of the top 10 unless we're cut adrift from it all season which at the moment we're not, we're 2 points off 7th, beat Everton comfortably for example

The difference is we're trying to bring through youth and as long as Smith gives them that pathway in to the first team I can't see him going and nor should he

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I mean, it had us 2 up and cruising to victory. I didn't like it, and I think the first half was a bit crap, but I can't say it's why we lost. 

I hate the formation generally anyway and i dont think saying "we were winning at one point!" is a great argument for it. I dont think we have the players for it and our squad is much more suited to a conventional formation imo.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I love Dean Smith, I really do.  BUT sadly I have come to the conclusion that the result against Wolves sums why there will be no return to Glory while he is manager 😢

Define "glory" 

Because that squad is a long way off it let alone Smith 

• Like 1

I'm genuinely gutted that I'm starting to lose faith with Dean.

I'm praying that when Bailey returns that we start clicking as a team and Deano can start showing his coaching ability. At the moment it seems as though we're devoid of ideas and just give it to Mings to smash up field hoping Ollie gets on the end of it. 

• Like 1

Not sure I want him out yet but he needs to sort out the formation and starting eleven as performances suggest we aren't gelling as a team yet. I think Cash and Buendia subs were forced on him but not sure he made the right choices today.

A result against Arsenal and we are back in the game. A loss and he will be losing the backing of more and more fans. 

I'm currently in Lanzarote for a few weeks, noticed we were two up so went for a swim. Got out and we'd lost the match, that's criminal and ruined a perfect day.

I like Smith I really do but...seems like the substitutions changed the flow of the game and gave them something or a lifeline.

Smith will surely be gone by Christmas with a few more of these dodgy results? We have invested heavily and have lost more than we have won...it is unacceptable!

Making subs for the sake of making subs. Brian Little talked about it biting him on the arse and never making the mistake again.

I don't care about fatigue. You don't at 2-0 in total control take of midfielders and your spine of the team.

Absolute clown today

Oh and Mcginn was **** sensational today

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Of course there are things to be optimistic about, but that shitshow has severely damaged my confidence in this team and will always leave me wondering when the next **** up is coming, even if we're 2/3 up and cruising.

Id agree if there was a pattern of throwing games like this. I think on the whole under Smith, it's been the opposite. It's not exactly Di Matteo levels yet. Mistakes happen. That Ramsey sub was awful and I'm sure the coaching staff will learn from it. It's not like it's a mentality thing thankfully.

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Needs to scrap the 3-5-2 formation. We play it so that we can play Watkins and Ings up front together, but it doesn’t really look like they have much of an understanding.

Watkins isn’t adding anything more than he would if he played on the left of a 4-3-3 at this stage.

Depends if DS has the bottle to do it. He actually did it at Brentford with Ollie wide and Maupay as CF so that to me remains the obvious model and we go back to 4-3-3.

We'll see soon enough when Bailey is fully fit as he obviously has to start every week with his quality.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Depends if DS has the bottle to do it. He actually did it at Brentford with Ollie wide and Maupay as CF so that to me remains the obvious model and we go back to 4-3-3.

We'll see soon enough when Bailey is fully fit as he obviously has to start every week with his quality.

I think he will for Bailey but not for el ghazi, a half fit traore or an out of form Buendia 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I do not have an agenda, I just want us to be good. And you know what I'd probably have a mcuh better view of him if he was substituted at 60 minutes every game because up until then he is generally quite good. The following 30 though he's generally abysmal and today was no exception. And he was a large part of our struggles today. 

I get tired of the hero worship for McGinn and the bashing for someone like el ghazi when they offer basically the same thing goals and assists on offence, poor defence, and struggle to keep possession. But at least for el ghazi he's a winger so him not being great in possession is forgivable. Whereas for McGinn it's the worst attribute to ahve. 

McGinn was great both offensively and defensively. You comment on him ALL THE TIME. It’s tiring. 

• Like 1

Â