Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I have no problem with the subs he made today. 

My problem is the sticking with 3-5-2 again after Spurs. Watkins and Ings up top doesn't click. 

My other concern is that if the mentality and focus of the team is weak, the manager needs to fix it.

So while I support Dean 100%, he has to show some nous now. The crucible will only get hotter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Can't blame him for the subs (sounds like all 3 were enforced) but do question his tactics especially with a 3-5-2. Think that we need to figure out our striking position and imo it should be Ings with Watkins probably on the bench

Ha, just posted something almost verbatim. 

Just now, villalad21 said:

Should have prioritized another midfielder rather than Ings then.

Again I agree.

We aren't a big enough club to bench either of those pair. So now we shoe horn both into the starting 11. Always thought Ings was a feel good signing rather than strategically thought through.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

There's a very real chance that we could sack Smith appoint Conte and still do absolutely **** all 

If we were to sack Smith then it would be because we believe he is not up to the job. If that is the case he should be sacked. If we employ a new manager that also fails that is a completely different discussion and our recruitment process was wrong and we would need to try again. But keeping a manager you do not have confidence in because you are afraid his replacement may fail is the wrong approach

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

It would be disappointing if Brentford finished above us at the end of the season because that would be down to coaching and transfer kitty.

Surely not going to happen

They'll fall down the league. Brighton have gone back to not scoring much aswell lately so not too concerned about them either.

Said at start of season I'd like to finish above a couple of Leeds, West Ham, Everton, Spurs and Arsenal.

Leeds are way off what they were last season so that should be realistic and we're still only a point or two off what the others have so that would be progress for me and would mean top half finish.

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

currently we seem to be very keen on just lumping it down the wings and hoping something comes off,

I don't recall us playing like that until Craig joined the coaching staff, I may be wrong. I don't think Dean played that way at Walsall or Brentford.

It isn't working this season when we don't have wide men running the channels, we are just turning over procession.

I'm sure 12th will be big progress!

It actually is progress from being in the Championship for 3 seasons after 4/5 seasons of finishing 15th,16th etc.

I don't mind us being a 9th-12th placed team for a few seasons after the dog shit I've seen us produce under Doug Ellis, Randy Lerner and Dr Xia.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So is European football, but should it be?

I agree after the games this season I do think we are midtable team, but also think we have a midtable manager.

I said from the beginning of the season we don’t have squad for an European place and nothing changes that imo.  Talk of relegation is just stupid.  Today was heart breaking and emotions seem to be overflowing on this website which is understandable after that game but a little step back that we are a mid table team and we’ll have high day and days as bad as today was!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Thinking about sacking Smith right now because he;'s not a top 6 manager is like me walking into the bedroom to tell the missus I want a divorce because I doubt her ability to secure a top 3 finish in Miss World

But top 6 is the aim in the coming seasons.

If he isn't a top 6 level manager then what is the point with him?

6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

It would be disappointing if Brentford finished above us at the end of the season because that would be down to coaching and transfer kitty.

Surely not going to happen

If Bees finished above us this season it would be more than Smith that should be kicked out of Villa

• Like 1

But top 6 is the aim in the coming seasons.

If he isn't a top 6 level manager then what is the point with him?

Is it the aim this season? Is he the person holding the team back from finishing above Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester, West Ham?

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

If we were to sack Smith then it would be because we believe he is not up to the job. If that is the case he should be sacked. If we employ a new manager that also fails that is a completely different discussion and our recruitment process was wrong and we would need to try again. But keeping a manager you do not have confidence in because you are afraid his replacement may fail is the wrong approach

In a way it's a bit like where we were in the promotion season. It was 10 games in and when we sacked Steve Bruce we were only 2-3 points off 6th IIRC and no doubt under him we'd have strung together an unbeaten run. Yet everyone could hear the crowd turning and ultimately it turned out to be the right decision.

Harder but not impossible to do that at prem level as other clubs have shown in recent times. Just don't want us to get into mentality of just being grateful to finish 11th-12th every season. We do have some good players at the club and world didn't end when you know who went to Man. City as some of the results this season have already shown.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Sacking a manager becausebhes failed to do soemthing that you haven't given him the tools to do it with is the wrong approach 

Give smith a squad of top 6 players and then judge him on his ability to get top 6

We have a mid table squad in mid table, I'm not sure why people expect more 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

honestly, i dont think anyone can say our recruitment or signed players (excluding our first year back) was sub par, i honestly think its not an excuse or angle that can be used at all.

Bailey, Buendia, Traore, Sanson, Luiz, Konsa, Martinez, Watkins, Ings etc etc, all quality signings.

The last 2 summers signings have been superb imo, if we cant get a team ticking from these players, there is something wrong.

Did we fail to plug some important gaps?, yes probably, but i dont think anyone can argue with the signings we have actually made over the last 2 seasons.

3 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I don't recall us playing like that until Craig joined the coaching staff, I may be wrong. I don't think Dean played that way at Walsall or Brentford.

It isn't working this season when we don't have wide men running the channels, we are just turning over procession.

fair point, hard for us to know where the tactical decisions are coming from i suppose, in terms of the wider coaching staff.

Â